PDA

View Full Version : All NYC School of One founder leaves to create a non-profit for developing innovative school models

theschoolboards
03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
This from Gotham Schools (http://gothamschools.org/2011/03/22/eyeing-national-expansion-school-of-one-founder-leaves-tweed/) by Elizabeth Green:
The founder of the School of One, one of the cityís most touted educational innovations, will expand that model nationally ó by leaving the city Department of Education that helped him create it. The founder, Joel Rose, announced his move in an email to colleagues this morning.
Dear Friends,

It is with mixed emotions and a profound sense of gratitude that I am announcing today my transition from the New York City Department of Education to lead a new non-profit organization that will develop and scale innovative school models for students across the country.

Arriving at this decision was not easy as NYCDOE has been a wonderful place for building and implementing School of One. Indeed I canít think of another place where School of One could have emerged than in NYC schools over the last two years. I depart with only fond wishes and respect for the team I worked with and for the leadership that made this work possible.

But now is the time to create the foundation for broader impact. Innovation is part of our nationís strategy to address the moral and economic imperative of improving our schools. New school models that both personalize learning and leverage the time and talents of teachers hold great promise, particularly given the budgetary challenges our schools are experiencing. Delivering on that promise will require the development and scale of these kinds of innovations, something that I believe can best be accomplished through the sustained efforts of an independent organization with a national scope.

The School of One team will continue to support the NYC program in my absence and will be transitioning to fall under the leadership of the NYC iZone. Jonathan Werle, who currently serves as School of Oneís Director of Administration, will serve as the project manager. Iím confident that under their leadership, School of One is well positioned to be sustained into the future.

Thank you again for all of your support over the last two years. If youíd like to stay in touch, please drop me an email at [REDACTED] and Iíll keep you updated on my efforts.

Joel
read more>> (http://gothamschools.org/2011/03/22/eyeing-national-expansion-school-of-one-founder-leaves-tweed/)

theschoolboards
03-25-2011, 09:13 AM
This from Time (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2061024,00.html) by Andrew J. Rotherham:
Lately you can't turn around in education without bumping into someone talking about innovation. The President is asking Congress for more federal support for educational innovation in this year's budget, more and more school districts are naming "innovation officers," and just last week a group of Silicon Valley start-up veterans launched a new incubator for innovative education companies. But while innovation is a catchy buzzword, on the ground conditions are often anything but innovative. This week, the resignation of a school administrator in New York City who most readers have probably never heard of vividly illustrates that disconnect.

Joel Rose, 40, got his start teaching in Houston with Teach For America. After law school and a stint at Edison Schools, he landed at the New York City Department of Education leading a personnel strategy for that massive 1.1. million student system. Rose was struck, as many observers are, by how little technology had changed education relative to most other fields during the past few decades. So he started a program within the New York City Public Schools called "School of One" that uses technology to offer a completely customized schooling experience for each student.

Once derided as the "school of none" because of its seeming slow pace in launching, School of One is now a leading example of a growing number of "blended" learning initiatives that combine online content with live teaching.

So why did Rose quit?

School of One was developed by New York City but needs to spin out of city government as its own non-profit organization so the idea can be replicated elsewhere. But, as a city employee, Rose cannot negotiate the terms of that spin-off even though he's the person who should and will run the new non-profit. What's more, under the city's conflict of interest rules, he cannot even talk to the city for a year after leaving employment there. That makes sense to prevent undue lobbying, but how could you possibly launch or run a program in the city's schools without being able to talk to city officials?

read more>> (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2061024,00.html)

Sandra89
08-23-2011, 06:13 AM
The incubator I'm concerned about is NY taxpayers providing the resume and effectively the seed money for privateers and corporateers.

If this program is a hit, then the financial benefits should accrue to NYC and the taxpayers who watered the seedlings -- not the employees and executives who take the knowledge WE PAID FOR to set up camp, "not-for-profit" cloak notwithstanding.