PDA

View Full Version : All SF Questions about SFUSD Round 2 Assignment

lesliebythebay
03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
In talking to some of my friends, there seem to be some confusion about what to do in Round 2 of the SFUSD Assignment Process. I thought it may be helpful to get the discussion going with this thread. Also, I posted this elsewhere but this tip sheet from PPS-SF is a good starting point.

http://www.ppssf.org/Enrollment/tips/Round2_Tips_2011_ENG.pdf

agarciasf7
03-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for getting this started. So we were assigned Cobb after getting nothing on our list. We know for sure we don't want Cobb. Do we still have to register at the school in order to participate in Round 2?

merenaka
03-25-2011, 11:40 PM
I think the answer is no but just double checking. Can somebody confirm that we don't lose our first round assignment if we enter an application for Round 2? I'm happy with what we have but won't complain if I cab get a middle school that's a little closer to us.

RDmom
03-26-2011, 08:38 AM
I think the answer is no but just double checking. Can somebody confirm that we don't lose our first round assignment if we enter an application for Round 2? I'm happy with what we have but won't complain if I cab get a middle school that's a little closer to us.

You don't lose your first spot if you participate in the second round. Even if you participate in further wait pool rounds you don't lose the spot. Definitely register at the school you were assigned to if you like it enough so you don't lose the spot.

chellebellesf
03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
I saw this in my email, which indicates that Peabody should have some openings due to defections to private. This should be welcome news to families on the northside looking for a spot.

"We made welcome calls to all our incoming families, and many expressed thoughts on going the private school route. So, if you or other families you know didn't get Peabody in the first round, please have them choose us for the next round as we predict there will be several available spots."

Anybody else know of similar moves at other sought after public schools like Clarendon, Rooftop, Lillienthal, etc.?

fancywu9
03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I saw this in my email, which indicates that Peabody should have some openings due to defections to private. This should be welcome news to families on the northside looking for a spot.

"We made welcome calls to all our incoming families, and many expressed thoughts on going the private school route. So, if you or other families you know didn't get Peabody in the first round, please have them choose us for the next round as we predict there will be several available spots."

Anybody else know of similar moves at other sought after public schools like Clarendon, Rooftop, Lillienthal, etc.?

This is interesting. I would think if spots were to open up due to private schools besides at Peabody, they would be for Sherman and Lillienthal.

merenaka
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
You don't lose your first spot if you participate in the second round. Even if you participate in further wait pool rounds you don't lose the spot. Definitely register at the school you were assigned to if you like it enough so you don't lose the spot.

Thank you RDmom for confirming what I thought. This system doesn't seem to penalize us for participating in subsequent rounds so why not just keep trying for a slightly better option, right?

halfmoonmom
03-26-2011, 10:21 PM
It's good to hear there may be some spots at the "better" schools. But be serious. Is the second or third round really going to do much other than shuffle the rest of us among the non top 15 schools? Sorry for being so cynical but can I be blamed for not having faith in this system?

RDmom
03-27-2011, 10:03 AM
It's good to hear there may be some spots at the "better" schools. But be serious. Is the second or third round really going to do much other than shuffle the rest of us among the non top 15 schools? Sorry for being so cynical but can I be blamed for not having faith in this system?P

It's interested in how things have changed. Peabody was top 15 last year as far as first choice requests. This year it didn't even make the 25 most first choice requests. Though I've heard that it's attendance area didn't actually have a lot of incoming K kids.

Halfmoonmom I'm not sure where you live but there are a lot really good schools that are not top 15.

jekkosf
03-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't really understand why somebody who put a school down as a fifth choice could get it over somebody else who puts it down as a first choice, all else being equal. I thought I knew how the system works but I guess I have more learning to do. Can somebody please explain it to me?

halfmoonmom
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
P

It's interested in how things have changed. Peabody was top 15 last year as far as first choice requests. This year it didn't even make the 25 most first choice requests. Though I've heard that it's attendance area didn't actually have a lot of incoming K kids.

Halfmoonmom I'm not sure where you live but there are a lot really good schools that are not top 15.

At no point did I mention there are no good schools outside the 15 most requested ones. Peabody is clearly one, which you pointed out, and Grattan being another, not counting the several good immersion programs out there. The issue I'm trying to point out is that if your heart is set on the top 15, chances are that you'll be very disappointed.

RDmom
03-27-2011, 06:17 PM
At no point did I mention there are no good schools outside the 15 most requested ones. Peabody is clearly one, which you pointed out, and Grattan being another, not counting the several good immersion programs out there. The issue I'm trying to point out is that if your heart is set on the top 15, chances are that you'll be very disappointed.

I guess that's true and sorry if I misunderstood what you had posted before :).

halfmoonmom
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I guess that's true and sorry if I misunderstood what you had posted before :).

Sorry if I came across snippy myself. :o I'm more frustrated with the new system and the way SFUSD rolled it out without fully understanding the impact of CTIP1 preference.

lesliebythebay
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't really understand why somebody who put a school down as a fifth choice could get it over somebody else who puts it down as a first choice, all else being equal. I thought I knew how the system works but I guess I have more learning to do. Can somebody please explain it to me?

jekkosf, you're not the only who is still confused by the system. It seems SFUSD has more educating it needs to do.

In any case, the rankings of the schools do not come into play until the lottery for each of the school has been run. It's probably easier if I use a specific example. Let's say Amanda puts down Lillienthal as her first choice. Barbara puts Lillienthal down as her third choice while Christina puts Lillienthal down as her 10th choice. Since Amanda, Barbara and Christina all put Lillienthal down as a choice, they will each be entered into the lottery for Lillienthal. What matters now are the tiebreakers and random luck. All else being equal, all three have same chance of getting Lillienthal regardless of what rank choice each had put down for Lillienthal.

Once the lottery is completed for each of the schools, the system then assigns the highest ranked choice to each person. If Barbara was assigned both Lillienthal (3rd choice) and Rooftop (1st choice), then the system will give her the one she ranked higher, which is Rooftop.

Does that clear things up? Or did I confuse you more?

goldengatemom
03-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know how late into the school year they release slots at some of the most in demand schools? I have had friends tell me to home school into October and I'd eventually get one of my top 5. Anyone have a ray of hope beyond the advice I've been given?

scorpioabby
03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Now that the board realizes how badly they misjudged the CTIP1 demand for top schools like Clarendon, Rooftop, etc, and how little demand there is for neighborhood schools, will they tweak the assignment algoritm for Round 2? Or are they going to make sacrificial lambs out of those of us applying this year and save the changes for next year?

jekkosf
04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
jekkosf, you're not the only who is still confused by the system. It seems SFUSD has more educating it needs to do.

In any case, the rankings of the schools do not come into play until the lottery for each of the school has been run. It's probably easier if I use a specific example. Let's say Amanda puts down Lillienthal as her first choice. Barbara puts Lillienthal down as her third choice while Christina puts Lillienthal down as her 10th choice. Since Amanda, Barbara and Christina all put Lillienthal down as a choice, they will each be entered into the lottery for Lillienthal. What matters now are the tiebreakers and random luck. All else being equal, all three have same chance of getting Lillienthal regardless of what rank choice each had put down for Lillienthal.

Once the lottery is completed for each of the schools, the system then assigns the highest ranked choice to each person. If Barbara was assigned both Lillienthal (3rd choice) and Rooftop (1st choice), then the system will give her the one she ranked higher, which is Rooftop.

Does that clear things up? Or did I confuse you more?

I think I understand it now. The order we rank the schools only matters if we happen to win the lottery for more than one school. Then the system will give us the school that we ranked higher. Right?