PDA

View Full Version : What to do if I'm waitlisted for public kindergarten?

mrsskrm
03-25-2011, 10:49 AM
We were waitlisted for PS 41. Does that mean I should register at PS 3?

emilymd
03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
We were waitlisted for PS 41. Does that mean I should register at PS 3?

If you haven't registered at 3 already, I'd hold off. Stay on the waitlist at PS 41 since it does move. If you register at another school, you'll lose your spot at 41.

mrsskrm
03-30-2011, 09:09 AM
If you haven't registered at 3 already, I'd hold off. Stay on the waitlist at PS 41 since it does move. If you register at another school, you'll lose your spot at 41.

Let's say we stay on the waitlist for PS 41. My understanding is that if we don't get a spot come end of May, DOE will offer us an alternative assignment, right? How do they figure out which school to assign? What if we don't like what they assign?

mrsskrm
04-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry to ask more questions. How do the schools determine the priority on the waitlist? Is it first come first serve or something else? Do in zone students still get preference over out of zone students?

nycschoolhelp
04-02-2011, 06:34 AM
The waitlists for zoned students are determined at central by lottery and it is rigidly controlled. You get a number and unzoned families will not jump you in the line. The priority is clear, inzone sibs, inzone families, out of zone sibs (first within district then outside of district), etc.
If there is an opening in your zoned school, you will be notified by number to come in and register. If you have not been given a spot by May, the DOE will find you a spot at a local school - register there, but you will still remain on the waitlist at your zoned school through Oct. At first grade there will be every effort made to return you to your zoned school.
There are occasionally wrinkles, school by school - confirm this information for your specific situation.

mrsskrm
04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Thank you nycschoolhelp for sharing your knowledge. This looks like a long summer ahead of us waiting out the waitlist.

MSeymour
04-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Don't forget that G&T placements come out in June plus you'll have families moving out during the summer so spots will open up. Hang in there - been there before.

Taylor'sMom
04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
My daughter was waitlisted then got a spot a few days later...I can tell they really were looking forward toi having my daughter and we really wanted this school...it isnt our zone.

mrsskrm
05-26-2011, 07:22 AM
We were offered an alternative assignment in PS 11 (not even PS 3) but I'd rather hold out for our zoned school PS 41. If I turn down the offer, we'll still be on the waitlist for PS 41, right? How long does this continue on for?

tribeccahart
05-26-2011, 11:15 AM
We were offered an alternative assignment in PS 11 (not even PS 3) but I'd rather hold out for our zoned school PS 41. If I turn down the offer, we'll still be on the waitlist for PS 41, right? How long does this continue on for?

If I were you, I'd pass on registering at PS 11 and hold out for PS 41. We were given an alternate assignment too at PS 130 instead of PS 234. We're hoping for a G&T assignment so worrying about this could be moot point.

mrsskrm
05-27-2011, 12:44 PM
If I were you, I'd pass on registering at PS 11 and hold out for PS 41. We were given an alternate assignment too at PS 130 instead of PS 234. We're hoping for a G&T assignment so worrying about this could be moot point.
Thanks for reminding me about G&T placements. I keep forgetting that spots may open up once people find out their G&T placements. We'll sit tight then and hold out for PS 41.