PDA

View Full Version : All NYC General Ed student/Score 99 on G&T in CTT class

natty22
05-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Any feedback from parent who does not need special ed but whose child is in a CTT class

abgoldmom
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I am a little confused by what you're asking for. If your child scored 99 on G&T, why not sign him up for a citywide or district G&T program? Why would you put him in a CTT mixed in with some kids with special needs?

natty22
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I will be applying for citywide but since it is so competitive I am not holding my breathing and I do not like most of my district options. One school (gen ed) we are considering him for that we really like we found out that has 2 CTT classes (and one CTT) so I am trying to determine if there are any downsides for the non special needs student in a CTT classes. It clearly benefits those with special needs.

abgoldmom
05-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I see now what you're asking about. I think CTT would work fine, if not great, for a child who's going gen ed anyway. The extra attention from having two teachers would be nice. For a child who scored 99 on the G&T test, I'm wondering if the teachers will be able to challenge the child enough. The spectrum of needs in a classroom that includes both gifted and special needs children may just be too great.

nycschoolhelp
05-04-2011, 05:08 AM
It is common practice in many schools to put the highest performing general ed kids in CTT classes.

abgoldmom
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
It is common practice in many schools to put the highest performing general ed kids in CTT classes.

Hi nycschoolhelp, can you elaborate on the practice of putting highest performers from gen ed into CTT classes? I just have a hard time imagining the teachers being able to meet a class that includes both gifted and special ed students. I can see them differentiate the instruction somewhat but would think that the advanced students end up waiting on the others more often than not. Maybe I've just been looking at CTT classes wrong.

nycschoolhelp
05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
The kids with IEPs who are mandated for CTT are high functioning special needs. They are kids who academically deserve to be mainstreamed in a gen ed classroom. One of the two teachers in the room has special needs training and if there is a child that needs additional help there can be additional adults "paraprofessionals" in the classroom to help one or more individual children (this takes the S:T ration way down). Occasionally some of these kids may be 2x (twice exceptional) gifted children with learning difficulties. It does go classroom by classroom, but my childrens' experience in CTT was that the teachers were stellar teams with a lot of experience and you couldn't for the most part tell which kids where special needs and which were gen ed. The ideal experience and one that is not uncommon for many kids is that the CTT class brings home the experience that everyone has their gifts and challenges and they gain respect and empathy for each other no matter their official classification. Had requesting classes not been frowned upon at my childrens' school, we would have requested the CTT classes over and over.

abgoldmom
05-06-2011, 06:11 AM
I see what you're saying now. Thank you for clarifying.

momof2boys
03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
I have a child who currently attends a G&T middle school program at PS 122 mamie fay, he is in 6th grade , he was previously on a ctt class ps 70 in astoria when he was in 3rd grade, he is now struggling to focus and I believe he is twice exeptional, i think he would do better in a ctt class but I not sure how to proceed the guidance counselor told me that there is not a ctt class in that program.. Please help my son is very bright and I dont know how to help him, he has ADHD and is currently on medication. they told he has to leave the school at the end of the year because he can keep up his grade above 85, I am concern that he will end up in a bad school