PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan-All Public PreK

NYCDad
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I have heard relatively nothing regarding public Pre K in NYC (specifically the UES), other than I know it exists and 2,000 kids are finding out if they got in the day before school starts. Has anyone here gone through the process? What are the schools like? How difficult are they to get in? Thanks.

NYCityMama
09-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi NYCDad--

I just completed the process of getting my child assigned to a PreK program in the NYC Public School system. Here is what you should know:

*Check the NYC DOE website for dates of registration to PreK. I waited too late and it became a hassle.
*On the other hand, if you register early (you get to choose 12 schools) and you are selected for a school that you would rather NOT have your child in, you get to try again next round.
*I researched schools in my area with InsideSchools.org and made my selection from there. I would advise you only list the PreK programs you really want, but also note that most desirables schools usually don't have space.
* Visit the schools you would like your child to go to. Often time bypassing the DOE's rules and guidelines and going straight for a face-to-face with the school administrators works (be super nice though).
*There are some great PreK programs on the UES, you shouldn't have a problem, but start researching them early, and stop by for a visit. Check out the teachers too!
*Lesson learned this year: sometimes the schools in the not so pretty neighborhoods have some of the best programs...and some of the most desirable schools that everyone always craves suffer from overcrowding and overbearing parents. Open your mind to all good options, even if you have to travel a bit.

Good luck!

Carol

Sirmausalot
09-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I have heard that you can go out of zone not just for pre-K, but for kindergarten as well if the school has room (not the case for first grade though.) As the other poster said, visit the schools.

NYCDad
09-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Great thanks for the info guys...I'll check some schools out!