PDA

View Full Version : All SF Do you care where SF mayor candidates send their kids to school?

chellebellesf
05-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Several of the candidates for the San Francisco mayor race have school aged children. I'm curious to hear how other parents feel about the candidates' school choice for their kids. Do you care whether they send their kids to public or private school? Is it a dealbreaker if their kids go to private school?

anamart24
05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
As much as I would love the next mayor to send their kids to public schools like many of us do, I have a hard time holding it against them for doing what they think is best for their kids. Having gone through the lottery process, I certainly wouldn't want to wish it on any one. More important for me is how the candidates plan to address homelessness, public transportation, affordable housing, etc. That said, I still would like to know why they made the school choice they did.

jekkosf
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
You all saw the Chronicle a couple months back about this exact topic, right?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/22/MN0V1HO8FG.DTL

Based on what I've read and heard, this is where their kids go to school.

Bevan Dufty: Rooftop (in the fall)
Dennis Herrera: son attends CAIS
Joanna Rees: daughter graduating from Drew and son at Town
John Avalos: two kids go to SF Community
Michaela Alioto-Pier: sons at Stuart Hall & daughter at Convent
Phil Ting: got Jefferson but keeping daughter in preschool one more year

mamasgomez
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
While the mayor may not have much influence on school policies, it would be nice to have somebody who sends his/her kids to public schools. At least, that candidate will understand the school issues we public school parents face, along with other issues that we middle class parents care about. Look at what happened in New York. Bloomberg appointed someone with no experience with public schools and she was in way over her head.

agarciasf7
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm going through the public school process right now and it's a torture, at least for those of us who don't get one of our choices. I'm realistic though. I mean, what can the mayor do? And what about the candidates without kids? How would they know what we're going through?

carol1791
05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Unless the candidates have a very very good reason why they don't send their kids to public schools ("there wasn't a comparable program at the time" isn't good enough), I'm disinclined to vote for them. I want a candidate who'll stand up for the middle class families in San Francisco.

TMZmom
05-20-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't think it matters at all..I think the more important issue is that for the first time in a long time we have candidates with young families. No matter where they send their kids to school they understand the challenges of raising a family in San Francisco and the issues that surround that. I also think that just because they choose a private school does not mean they are not aware or care about issues with the public schools. They are many reasons people choose a school... religion, etc and our vote should be cast for who is going to make the best decisions for the City not on their personal family decisions.

chellebellesf
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
This topic seems to have gotten a new life as we get closer to election time. The latest from some public school parents is a petition against mayoral candidates who send their kids to private schools...

People who want to be part of San Francisco's political class need to send their children to San Francisco's public schools. We, the undersigned, want to change the political equation in San Francisco. We want it to be untenable for anyone who's contemplating a political career in our city to send his or her children to private schools.

You can't buy your way out of the public schools and then buy your way into our hearts. If the public schools aren't good enough for your children, then they're not good enough for ours either, and you should spend all that time and energy you've got to run for office working to better them.

Catholic and deeply religious? Your local parish school then, but not an expensive trophy school like Stuart Hall or Convent.

We reiterate - if you're thinking about running for public office in San Francisco, then you'd better think real hard about what schools your going to send your children to. Sending your children to private schools so you don't have to deal with the problems of the public schools, the problems that the families of more than 60,000 San Francisco public school students deal with every day, is a non-starter.

We will not vote for you and we will keep bringing this up at campaign events.

shanjohn16
09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I think the petition is absolutely ludicrous. Our child is in public school but I truly believe that schooling is a very private decision. Candidates who happen to be parents should not feel like they are being held hostage from making the best education decision for their children. However, that does not preclude a candidate from caring about improving our public schools and doing whatever he or she can. That's what matters.

Let's take the public education debate and apply it to public transportation then, another public good. How many of you parents who support this public school petition take MUNI as your primary means of transportation? So if you own a car, the similar argument would be that you're depriving the public of much needed resources to improve MUNI. Are you criticizing yourself for not contributing to the greater good or are you justifying that owning a car is "different". Are you going to withhold your vote for a candidate that doesn't take MUNI all the time?

fancywu9
09-29-2011, 07:54 PM
The mayor doesn't have direct say on what happens with SFUSD, but whoever can funnel additional funds into our schools would be a good candidate for me. While I wouldn't want mayoral control of the schools the way some other cities have, I would like to see the mayor's office having a seat or some more influence on the school board.

TMZmom
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
This petition is ridiculous. Where parents choose to send their children to school is truly a personal decision. I firmly believe that you want a candidate that is the best for the city and it shouldn't matter if they have children or where they send them to school. As a parent with a political spouse and a parent who just went through the Kindergarten process, it is hard enough without people mandating where you should send your kids to school. More importantly, it is necessary to note and understand that the Mayor and the Supervisors do not have direct control over the school system however since the City gives money to the schools we should be voting for a mayor who is going to stand up to the school board/teachers union, get involved and make some change.... no matter where they send their own children to school.