PDA

View Full Version : Portola-Crocker San Francisco School - Wonderful School!

curious george
09-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Our daughter attends preschool at the SFS and loves it. Her classroom contains 3 "levels" of students -- 3 year olds, 4 year olds, and kindergarten. The preschool is Montessory oriented. Our daughter has already learned so much in just one year, ranging from reading, writing, and math skills to cultural knowledge. The school is very art and music focused, which our daughter particularly likes. The preschool also offers Spanish classes and physical education. The school places a premium on diversity and environmental education, which were some of the reasons we chose the school. The preschool is on a similar schedule to elementary schools, which can be a challenge for working parents like myself. However, there are after-school hours and fantastic summer camps, so it is definitely do-able with a little schedule shuffling. I highly recommend the school! I'd be happy to answer any questions about the school -- just post to this thread.

7x7mom
09-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience at SFS! We're looking into some Montessori programs for preschools but didn't have SFS on our list since we weren't sure whether we want to stay at SFS for K/elementary. We just want to keep our options open. Do you know if SFS will help their preschoolers apply elsewhere? How many actually do?

curious george
09-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I think most of the children end up staying for the elementary school at SFS, but it certainly isn't required. This year, I believe we lost 2 families (out of about 13) going into the kindergarten year. Not sure how many stayed/left going into 1st grade (which is a different part of the school). I don't know of any formal programs at SFS to aid in applying to other schools, but everyone is very nice and I'm sure anyone that feels qualified to offer advice on the subject would certainly be willing to give it. I hope this helps some, and I hope you consider SFS!

7x7mom
09-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks to you, we'll most likely add SFS to our list considering how much your daughter "loves" the school. It doesn't hurt to take a look, right? I would imagine that parents who stay on for K will stay on for 1st grade since K is the logical transition pt for most other schools. Just wanted to make sure that the preschool director would be supportive of us possibly looking elsewhere for K (not that we would but just in case we do). When you say 1st grade is different part of school, I'm assuming the preschoolers get automatic enrollment there or do you need to reapply?

curious george
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes, all the SFS kindergartners get automatic admission to the 1st grade. It's just that pre-k 3 year olds through kindergarten are literally all in the same classroom, and 1st graders have their own classroom in a different area of the school. Good luck with everything!