PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan-UWS No more G&T program at PS 9?

mtormom
05-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I am so livid right now after hearing that there won't be any G&T for the incoming K at PS 9. Just what is the DOE thinking?

nycschoolhelp
05-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Just confirming that you are talking about PS 9 in District 3.

mtormom
05-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Yes, PS 9 Sarah Anderson in UWS.

tribeccahart
05-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Really? This late in the process when parents already submitted their G&T rankings? Couldn't the DOE have made this announcement earlier to at least give parents in D3 a heads up? I feel so bad for the parents who put down PS 9 G&T as their only choice because of sibling preference.

theschoolboards
05-24-2011, 07:36 AM
The latest on the PS 9 G&T closing from DNAinfo.com (http://www.dnainfo.com/20110524/upper-west-side/furious-parents-meet-with-schools-chancellor-after-gifted-program-cut):
Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott vowed Monday to personally meet with parents upset over the loss of a popular gifted and talented program on the Upper West Side.

Walcott told parents at a town hall meeting that the decision to phase out the gifted and talented program at P.S. 9 had sparked a "major outcry," especially because the Department of Education didn't announce the program's closure until after parents had submitted applications.

"I own the responsibility for not getting the notice out to the community sooner," Walcott said at the meeting at P.S. 165.

Parents weren't told the well-regarded program was being phased out until last Thursday, when a letter from the principal went home in backpacks. That was more than a week after parents submitted gifted and talented applications to the DOE.

The DOE shifted P.S. 9's gifted and talented seats to other schools in District 3 because of a space crunch this fall, Walcott said.

"We've had an over-abundance of zoned requests at P.S. 9," Walcott said Monday.

"If it was up to us, we would definitely love to have a gifted and talented class at P.S. 9. But at the same time, it was determined that we could not do it."

For the upcoming school year, 104 students zoned for P.S. 9 accepted offers at the school, compared with about 68 last year, a DOE spokesman said.

read more>> (http://www.dnainfo.com/20110524/upper-west-side/furious-parents-meet-with-schools-chancellor-after-gifted-program-cut)

mtormom
05-27-2011, 10:27 PM
We received an email from the DOE to rerank our G&T preferences but only for the district, not citywides. I'm torn between whether to list 166 and 163 or just go with PS 9 gened. We have until 6/1 to rerank so this will be a LONG weekend of thinking....