PDA

View Full Version : Queens No G&T program in District 25's middle school

gtparent25
06-10-2011, 10:18 AM
My son is currently enrolled in the G&T program an elementary school in district 25. I have verified with someone in district 25's office that there are no G&T program in the middle schools in that district. The person I spoke to says that the district has SP classes which are essentially the same as those taught in the G&T program in say district 26 (which is one district over). I don't believe this is true as the teachers who teach in the G&T programs have special certification and, as I was told and read in my research, are taught to teach the kids in the G&T programs in a different manner (ie. going more in depth into a particular subject, etc). I would like to embark in a campaign to get the G&T program established in district 25's middle schools but before I do that I would like to see if there are any other opinions concerning the special progress (SP) classes versus G&T classes.

annesand
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm somewhat confused by what you're asking about. Official G&T programs run from K-5th grade, not into middle schools. There are certain middle schools that offer special programs to address the needs of advanced students but they're not called G&T.

nycschoolhelp
06-28-2011, 04:46 AM
I inquired about the teachers in "gifted" middle schools and it doesn't seem that the "screened" district middle school programs require their teachers to have special certification. Some older programs have teachers that my have special certification, but it seems spotty.

Mary Jones
05-25-2014, 07:24 PM
No, SP classes are not the same. How come district 26 has five JHS's with the G&T program in it, and my district 25 has none? How come they have five JHS's with the G&T program and most of the other 31 districts have none? District 25 has the same number or more,of students in the elementary schools w/ the G&T program?

pm3292003
05-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Back when I was in IS 125 in Queens in District 24, the SPE classes were a combination of enriched and accelerated classes. We took accelerated classes in English, Science and Math so by the time we were in HS, we were all a year ahead. (Most of us went to the specialized HS - Stuy, BxScience, and BKTech) Since we were all in an accelerated program, we quickly covered our coursework, and had plenty of time for enrichment activities. We also went to plays (backstage access) and met celebrities- (John Stamos, Evander Holyfield, Lea Salonga, and some Baseball player that I don't remember). Separately, a family member is faculty at a citywide G&T JHS, and we agreed that the curriculum is the same. Extra curricular activities aside, it doesn't matter what the label of the program is... just ask if they take 9th grade HS Math, Science, and English in the 8th grade. Taking Level 9th grade regents math in 8th Grade prepared us all for the SSATs. (I think it's was SEQ Math 1) If you're shooting for specialized schools, the accessibility of the advanced topics in the 8th grade to prep for the SSATs is an important stepping stone.