PDA

View Full Version : BK-All New to the Country, School/Education Questions 18 month old

MeiMoe
07-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi

I am new to the country and would like to know of any suggestions (website/resources/parents tips or advice) on the education system here. I have a 14 month old. I know that pre-K starts at 4 years old but I have been reading about parents sending their children to school as early as 2. Am I missing something here? Is it for private schools that take in children at an earlier age or are there public school options? Am I going into the whole school research too early?

Any input/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Mei

nycschoolhelp
07-09-2011, 07:32 AM
The line is blurred with many preschool or daycares at two years. Many parents need coverage because they are working. Many parents feel that their kids could benefit from outside enrichment and want to get their foot in the door of a popular preschool. Many daycares are enriched and many preschools have long hours to help working parents. You should never let the fear of not finding a preschool seat later, force you to do something that is not right for your child or your family. What you feel is right for your child - school at two or school at four - should be your only guide. Learning your options and watching programs over time is not a bad plan. Knowledge is power, even when it is early and what you learn is that you can wait another year or two.

MSeymour
07-09-2011, 09:16 AM
As nycschoolhelp said, you have a variety of options depending on what your needs are. It's never too early to understand what those are. Some parents will go the preschool route, especially if they are considering private schools later on. Some will go with enriched daycares. You can also pick and choose a mix of enrichment programs/classes to sign up your child for if you have the time/flexibility. Btw, I had shared a list of preschools in Brooklyn awhile ago.

http://www.theschoolboards.com/showthread.php/374-List-of-Preschools-in-Brooklyn

As you guess already, most of the options before the age of 4 are non public. Good luck with the process. I know it can be overwhelming so don't be afraid to ask questions.

MeiMoe
07-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for your replies. It is truly overwhelming with so many programs. I will look through the list of preschools. Thanks again.