PDA

View Full Version : All SF Preference for native speakers in language immersion in new policy?

chellebellesf
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
From what I know, SFUSD gave preference to native speakers in language immersion programs in the old system. Do native speakers still get preference under the new policy? What tests do our child need to take to qualify? Tx.

halfmoonmom
10-29-2010, 01:41 PM
This is what I saw on SFUSD:

During the student assignment process, 50% of the space at kindergarten and grade 1 is reserved for students who demonstrate proficiency in the target language.

Students with a home language other than English on the Home Language Survey section of the application form must complete a language proficiency assessment in their home language.

Target language test: SFUSD Chinese Standardized Test (CST) or Pre-LAS-Espaņol. The tests are listening/ speaking primary language tests. Note: The time a student takes to complete the assessment depends on the individual student. However parents should anticipate that it will take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.
I don't think the new assignment system affects the language assessment piece at all.