PDA

View Full Version : Public Schools South Loop Elementary not offering Regional Gifted Program for 2012-2013

theschoolboards
10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Letter from the principal:

Dear Parents,

As many of you are aware, the subject of growth at South Loop School (SLS) has been a much discussed topic. There continues to be just one question: To grow or not to grow? If SLS continues to grow with current programming and boundaries, the school needs more space. If the school starts to limit enrollment, the school will not need more space.

Chicago Public Schools (CPS) recently notified me that it is unable to provide additional space for our school next year, so we have taken some steps to limit enrollment.

Based on discussions I have had with CPS officials and the Office of Academic Enhancement (which oversees CPS gifted programs), we have determined that it is in the best interest of current SLS students to limit the number of students admitted to SLS. Consequently, CPS will not accept applications for the SLS Kindergarten Regional Gifted Program for the 2012-2013 school year.

South Loop School will continue to offer Neighborhood K-8 grade programming and Regional Gifted Center 1-8 grade programming.

To utilize the space in our existing buildings most effectively, I am working with CPS to make use of the SLS Early Childhood Center (ECC aka “Branch”) building for Kindergarten and 1st grade programming. Under this arrangement the preschool program would move to the SLS Main Building. Please note this plan is not confirmed and would not be effective until the 2012-2013 school year.

These plans will make better use of the resources that are available to us and allow us to continue to provide the excellent academic and Extended Day programs that have made SLS a school of choice.

I appreciate your interest and invite your participation as we continue to monitor and manage growth at SLS.

Yours in education,

Tara Shelton