PDA

View Full Version : All SF Any changes to CTIP1 priority assignment?

johumom
10-06-2011, 03:15 PM
In light of the demand SFUSD saw from CTIP1 students for spots in the "top" schools, is the SFUSD or the board looking into making any changes to the CTIP1 priority? As it stands now, it seems that living in the assignment area of a top school is actually a negative.

jekkosf
10-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I haven't heard any discussions to suggest that the SFUSD and BOE are even rethinking CTIP1 priority. We were on the wrong end of this new assignment plan since Clarendon was our AA. I understand the goal of CTIP1 priority but wish there's a cap, say maybe 20 spots, at least for AA schools. For city-wides, that's fair game.

carol1791
10-07-2011, 11:40 AM
We're another family that got the short end of the stick on the new assignment plan. Why isn't the BOE looking at how they can fine tune and improve a new system when clearly some of their assumptions have been proven wrong, particularly when it comes to CTIP1?

SFUSD and PPS-SF keep touting how 74% of kindergartners got their first, second or third choice. They neglect to tell you how many were siblings and how many were CTIP1.

Here are the numbers (based on the SFUSD revised assignment offer data (http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfusd-staff/enroll/files/Post_March/Update%20March%2023%202011_Revised.pdf)):

74%, or ~3,649, of the 4,931 K applicants got their first, second or third choice
There were 1,270 siblings applying for K.
There were 611 non-sibling, non-attendance area CTIP1s applying for K.
Based on that, the number of K applicants receiving first, second or third choice was 1,768 (3649-1270-611).
Divide that by the non-sib, non-CTIP1 K applicants (4931-1270-611=3050), you get 58% as the number of non-sib, non-CTIP1 K applicants actually getting their top 3 choices.

Take a look at Clarendon: 32 CTIP1 got offers in first round compared to only 9 attendance area kids (and 8 non-attendance area kids for the JBPP). For Alvarado, there were 30 CTIP1 offers but only 18 AA offers and 11 non-AA offers.

johumom
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Here are the numbers (based on the SFUSD revised assignment offer data (http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfusd-staff/enroll/files/Post_March/Update%20March%2023%202011_Revised.pdf)):

74%, or ~3,649, of the 4,931 K applicants got their first, second or third choice
There were 1,270 siblings applying for K.
There were 611 non-sibling, non-attendance area CTIP1s applying for K.
Based on that, the number of K applicants receiving first, second or third choice was 1,768 (3649-1270-611).
Divide that by the non-sib, non-CTIP1 K applicants (4931-1270-611=3050), you get 58% as the number of non-sib, non-CTIP1 K applicants actually getting their top 3 choices.

Take a look at Clarendon: 32 CTIP1 got offers in first round compared to only 9 attendance area kids (and 8 non-attendance area kids for the JBPP). For Alvarado, there were 30 CTIP1 offers but only 18 AA offers and 11 non-AA offers.

Thanks for the data carol, as depressing as it may be. The system is so skewed to sibilings (understandable) and CTIP1 (more subject to debate) that the rest of us are fighting for scraps.

efmama74
10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Similar to carol, I also crunched some numbers on my own using the revised March data from SFUSD. I wanted to know what our chances are as a non-sibling/non-CTIP1 applicant as well as for a non-sibling/non-CTIP1/non-attendance area applicant at each of the 14 schools with the most demand.

What I got was this:

School: Non-Sibling/Non-CTIP1, Non-Sibling/Non-CTIP1/Non-AA

Alice Fong Yu: 3.1%/3.1%
Alamo: 11.5%/3.5%
Alvarado: 2.8%/1.1%
Buena Vista: 3.0%/3.0%
Clarendon: 1.0%/0.5%
Feinstein: 9.3%/2.9%
Lawton: 4.2%/4.2%
Lillienthal: 1.2%/1.2%
Miraloma: 3.1%/0.6%
Monroe: 10.7%/7.3%
Rooftop: 0.9%/0.9%
Sherman: 4.6%/0.6%
Taylor: 12.0%/7.0%
West Portal: 3.6%/1.4%

The way to read this is best illustrated using the example of Miraloma. If you are in the Miraloma AA but have no sibling tiebreaker, then your chance of getting a spot at Miraloma is 3.1%. If you are not in Miraloma AA and do not have the sibling or CTIP1 tiebreaker, then your chance of getting into Miraloma drops to 0.6%.

doughramy
10-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I haven't heard any discussions to suggest that the SFUSD and BOE are even rethinking CTIP1 priority. We were on the wrong end of this new assignment plan since Clarendon was our AA. I understand the goal of CTIP1 priority but wish there's a cap, say maybe 20 spots, at least for AA schools. For city-wides, that's fair game.

I really like this idea. CTIP1s would have access to the citywides like Lillienthal, Rooftop and Buenva Vista along with the numerous language programs. And then the attendance area schools can have more spots for those living in the attendance area. If there are still spots remaining after filling the attendance area demand, then those spots can be made available to CTIP1s and others.

johumom
10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Why wouldn't GE programs like Miraloma fill all the rest of the spots with kids within the attendance area? I'm confused how come there were spots allocated to outside the area without sibling or CTIP1 tiebreakers.

jodi27123
10-17-2011, 02:46 PM
What I wish they'd change is the second and third round assignment process. People shouldn't be able to shop for a better seat without giving up their original seat. The way it went down this year, EPC had no idea who was giving up which seat and just made it a torture for parents like me who were still waiting for an assignment in September.

lesliebythebay
10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Even though we got the school we wanted, the one thing that bothered me was that my first choice is weighted equally as somebody else's tenth choice. If I really want a particular school, shouldn't I have a better chance of getting it than somebody who doesn't really care and just put it down for the heck of it? Entering everybody into a school lottery no matter which choice they put it down as increased the pool vying for a spot more than it should.