PDA

View Full Version : All SF Bay Area Transitional Kindergarten: Questions and Some Answers

Lisa Borah-Geller
10-20-2011, 08:51 AM
I recently found out that my son, who will turn five years old in November 2012, will be eligible for California’s new transitional kindergarten program. I had planned to hold him back and keep him in preschool another year. As an educator and parent, I have witnessed firsthand how many kindergarteners with fall birthdays are not ready academically or socially for the requirements of today’s kindergarten classrooms. Now it looks like I have another option. Here are my questions about transitional kindergarten and the answers I found (or at least partial answers).

To read this blog post go to this webpage: http://www.devstu.org/blogs/transitional-kindergarten-questions-and-some-answers

shanjohn16
10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Do you know how the transitional kindergarten will work here in San Francisco? I'm going to be facing a similar issue the year after. I don't know how SFUSD is going to manage this under the budget constraints they've been facing.

Lisa Borah-Geller
10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
The latest information I have on SFUSD's implementation of transitional kindergarten is posted here on Rachel Norton's blog:

http://rachelnorton.com/2011/10/17/better-late-than-never-oct-11-meeting-recap/

fancywu9
11-01-2011, 08:17 AM
From what I gathered, the TKs will be assigned to schools based on the same process as regular Ks. This means that some schools could have several TKs while others may have none.

The TKs will be integrated with the regular kindergarten kids but each school may have additional program for the TKs.

shanjohn16
11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
From what I gathered, the TKs will be assigned to schools based on the same process as regular Ks. This means that some schools could have several TKs while others may have none.

The TKs will be integrated with the regular kindergarten kids but each school may have additional program for the TKs.

Now that I'm reading what you wrote again, does that mean the TK kids will be in same classroom for 2 years? If they are integrated with the regular Ks, doesn't that create an awkward situation where the TKs feel left behind?