PDA

View Full Version : BK-All Which montessori in Brooklyn?

sassymamarilla
09-24-2010, 06:06 PM
We are really interested in the montessori philosophy in general. As far as I gather, the only montessori schools in Brooklyn are Brooklyn Heights Montessori School and Rivendell. Does anyone have thoughts about either one? Thanks.

hbmamarama
10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
First off, both Rivendell and BHMS are great schools if montessori is your thing. Check out the schools yourself to see if there are subtle differences you prefer.

Beyond the schools themselves though, you'll need to think about what you want for your child beyond preschool. BHMS is ongoing vs Rivendell which is preschool only. If you go with BHMS, then you're likely all set with application madness until for high school. If you prefer to look around for elementary though, Rivendell may be better choice. Clearly, BHMS would prefer families stay with the school for the full path and may not be as helpful placing your child elsewhere. All else being equal, it's a matter of figuring out what you want later, as crazy as that might sound.

sassymamarilla
10-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for help! I'm also going to look at Montessori Day School too though I'm not interested in the full days as much.

hbmamarama- i hadn't thought about the placement issue-eek- but it is obviously worth considering. I guess this would be an issue for all ongoing schools too. On the tours, I did like that BHMS did have the big kids around, it felt very vibrant .... and it felt like a very dedicated community, maybe because it is a 3- 8th grade school. I only worry about the small classes in the upper grades. How does that affect a child? I've only gone to big schools, so the idea of super small classes feels foreign to me. I def liked what I saw and heard though. What I did like about Rivendell is that it felt small and cozy. I'm just not sure about the commute for us- it's a little far and at half-day, that might start to feel like a real hassle.

planetB
10-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I definitely recommend touring the Montessori Day School of Brooklyn. My son is in his third year at the school and has had a wonderful experience. The teachers are knowledgeable and dedicated to Montessori principles, there is a great sense of community with the other families, and they now have a beautiful new location with large, sunny classrooms and a movement studio. The students engage in enrichment programs on different days (yoga, movement, Spanish and music); go outside regularly either in the school's private outside area or to local parks and playgrounds; take frequent field trips to interesting locations and engage in meaningful "work" in the classroom.

Although they only offer full day options, you can select two, three or five days per week.

photomom
10-08-2010, 08:00 PM
SassyMamarilla, you are right, the classes at BHMS do get very small in the upper grades- however, that might change in the coming years.

BHMS bought the old fire station in the back of the building and is expanding with new classrooms, a bigger library, performance art center and more. I think these larger facilities will appeal to families who typically go elsewhere for schools' with more amenities for older kids.

We are at BHMS and I just wanted to add, we are extremely happy with the school. We love all the educational mornings and evenings with on-site faculty and directors and visiting speakers. In addition, I would say the community is a very tight one: we all pitch in and do so happily.

If your child enters at 3 years old, she will be in the same classroom with the same teachers for a total of 3 years. She will also have those same aged friends (typically) for the same 3 years, along with incoming new students as she progresses in age. Because of this, you get really invested in the other students, teachers and parents.

We did like Rivendell, but didn't feel that the community or parents was very strong. I believe part of that is because it isn't an ongoing school and the other part due to the fact that the Director does not have a strong presence. The Dir of Admissions is fantastic and she seems to be the liason for the parents and a strong force.

achildgrows
10-09-2010, 12:25 PM
There are some others- some offer full day and extended day programs and others are half days into full days as your child gets older.

Bay Ridge Montessori
6301 12th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11219
718-259-8701

Carrig Montessori School
http://www.carrigmontessori.com
info@carrigmontessori.com
100 Maspeth Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11211
212-991-8001 (10am – 5pm, Monday – Friday)

Midwood Montessori
2825 Bedford Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11210
718-253-3242
Grades PreK-K. 69 students. Student /teacher ratio is 12:1. 6 hour school days. It is a member of the American Montessori Society (AMS).

Montessori Day School of Brooklyn
http://www.montessoridayschool.org/
new address on Vanderbilt in Prospect Heights

Montessori School of NY International (not currently recommended)
http://www.montessorischoolny.com/
105 8th Avenue
(Park Slope), NY 11215
718-857-3341

Rivendell School
http://rivendellnyc.org/
info@rivendellnyc.org
277 Third Avenue (btw. Carroll and President)
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11215

nycschoolhelp
11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I would also add Luria Academy of Brooklyn http://www.luria-academy.org/ a Jewish day school in Prospect Heights that incorporates Montessori and Dewey methods in a Jedaic/secular curriculum that includes Hebrew language. They currently extend through 4th grade and will be growing to 8th in the future.

pitzmom
01-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi, could you elaborate on why Montessori School of NY International is currently not recommended? I've had a really hard time getting info on this school, though I did find the news articles re: the owners' daughter's conviction a few years back. Any info would be greatly appreciated as we are looking at this school. Thanks!

VikiAlt
04-02-2012, 03:54 PM
My children go to Brainy Academy in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. It isn't a school, but an after-school center that has Montessori classes for several hours a week weekly or bi-weekly. This is actually pretty good because it does not over burden the children, but the children really enjoy and look forward to coming here.

Finding Brooklyn Montessori classes and schools can be difficult -- there aren't that many, and a lot of them have terrible reviews. My 3-year-old goes to classes here at Brainy Academy and my child loves it and I love it. I really have seen a difference in his development, language, and thinking.

If you're interested, check out http://www.brainyacademyny.com

Good luck!

estw2005
04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Also look at Windmill Montessori for nursery through eighth grade and Lefferts Gardens Montessori or Stuyvesant Heights Montessori for preschool.

Heike Larson
01-22-2014, 02:48 PM
We're opening a new Montessori school in Brooklyn in early 2015, in the Cobble Hill neighborhood. It will be our first Brooklyn campus! Parents in California, where we're originally from, love our schools. You can learn more about the Brooklyn school, read reviews, see photos and videos on our web site, http://www.leportschools.com/brooklyn/ .

kkermally
04-17-2015, 01:14 AM
My recomandation the Montessori Day School of Brooklyn

FerMontessori
01-13-2016, 08:41 PM
I agree about Windmill, also check out C'e Montessori for an intimate and well-run option for toddlers and Primary: www.montessoribrooklyn.com

Newmom
04-26-2016, 12:47 PM
In all honesty and seriousness, you should have a disclaimer that you are the owner of Brainy Academy and that your child attended a full time pre-k Montessori school in the neighborhood prior to you setting up your business.
Ironically, unlike you stated, the well established Montessori schools in the neighborhood have better reviews and proven results. Your business on the other hand is unscrupulous and have received a few bad reviews for dishonorable practices. Your only interest here is to promote your business without merit, without complete facts and making misleading statements. As a parent looking for a Montessori school, I will not entertain looking into your school since the Montessori core values and principles are obviously not practiced there by management.

My children go to Brainy Academy in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. It isn't a school, but an after-school center that has Montessori classes for several hours a week weekly or bi-weekly. This is actually pretty good because it does not over burden the children, but the children really enjoy and look forward to coming here.

Finding Brooklyn Montessori classes and schools can be difficult -- there aren't that many, and a lot of them have terrible reviews. My 3-year-old goes to classes here at Brainy Academy and my child loves it and I love it. I really have seen a difference in his development, language, and thinking.

If you're interested, check out http://www.brainyacademyny.com

Good luck!