PDA

View Full Version : All SF How do I know what preschool philosophy is best fit for my child?

sfbaymom
10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Although I get that preschools have different philosophies, how do I know whether my child who is not even 2 yet will thrive best in a play-based, Montessori or structured preschool?

citymama
10-26-2011, 10:04 PM
It can be overwhelming but as you tour schools you will get a sense of what might be a good fit for your family. I remember thinking I would love one type of philosophy but as I looked deeper there were other schools I connected with more. It's hard b/c your child is still growing so much at this age and develolping new skills everyday. I would say to go with the ones that feel most comfortable/appealing to you and that you feel you could partner with for the next few years.

Preschool is a very special time and as long as you feel comfortable with the school, your child will likely thrive too.

citymona
10-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Our son is so energetic that we chose a more structured preschool for him hoping that it would help him rein in his energy.My husband also had issues with the idea of just play considering the cost of preschools.

ephelps14
10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I personally believe preschool kids should be playing and using their imagination and creativity as much as possible - that is their work. They shouldn't be too focused on learning academics or restricted to using learning materials in a singular fashion. They'll learn their ABCs and 123s soon enough.