PDA

View Full Version : The Little School San Francisco

smonty
10-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Our daughter attended the Little School for three years and our experience was very positive. Their relationship-based, developmental approach is focused on emotional, social and cognitive advancement. Children get to choose the activities they engage in for a good part of the day and there are also regular, structured activities. As they progress, they participate in larger group activities.

There are many long-tenured staff, they provide regular feedback and are a great resource for advice when necessary. The school community is diverse and special needs children are included. The purpose-built facility has three classrooms and a general use area (the sky room). The yard was completely re-built a couple of years ago. Leslie (the director) is very knowledgeable and helpful in navigating the kindergarten application process. An excellent choice if the part-time program works for your family.

sfbaymom
10-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Thank you for sharing this. Would you happen to have tips on getting into Little School too?

smonty
11-01-2011, 08:45 PM
We wrote an introduction letter and submitted it with our application, and we also were lucky enough to have a referral from someone we knew who was already attending.

Although a referral is great to have, I think a straightforward and honest introduction letter is a very important tool in applying to schools in general as it gives the school a stronger impression of your family and results in better matches of schools and families.

Other families who didn't get a place at The Little School initially signed their children up for summer camps and were subsequently offered spaces as they became available. This is also a good strategy if you have your heart set on a particular preschool and don't get in initially. The teachers were excellent at transitioning in the new children into my daughters class, and the new children were a breath of fresh air for the class.

sfbaymom
11-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I very much appreciate your help. I wasn't aware of the summer camp option so that's great to know. Hopefully, we'll be able to get in the first go around but if not, we'll do as you suggested on the alternative route.

sfkinder
11-05-2011, 12:32 AM
More people get no letters from the Little School than get in. You need to be diverse or rich or have a learning difficulty or provide a "value" to Leslie. Don't plan on getting into the Little School, it rarely happens.

chattyker
11-06-2011, 08:23 PM
More people get no letters from the Little School than get in. You need to be diverse or rich or have a learning difficulty or provide a "value" to Leslie. Don't plan on getting into the Little School, it rarely happens.

This is ridiculous. Are you speaking from a basis of experience because you go to Little School and know for a fact that all the families are as you described? Or are you jaded and just talking negatively as a result? Sure the school is hard to get into but aren't most sought after preschools? We know plenty of wonderful low key families at the school.