PDA

View Full Version : Hayes Valley-USF How big an issue will it be for our son at CAIS that his parents don't speak Mandarin?

edentasf
09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
we attended the open house at the school last week and just fell in love with what the school has to offer. being the worry worm, i am concerned that my husband and i don't speak mandarin and can't help our son with his homework when the time comes. i know there was a parent there trying to ease the concern but i just dont want our son to be at a disadvantage, especially at such a academically challenging school. are there non chinese parents out there who can share how big an issue it was and how they overcame it?

chellebellesf
09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Not a parent here but we were at the open house too. What was interesting for me was hearing that sooner or later we won't be able to help our kids with their homework. It's absolutely true! At some point, they'll realize their parents won't have all the answers and they'll need to find the answers all by themselves. What our friends in immersion programs told us is that we as parents just have to support them however we can, whether that's getting a Mandarin speaking tutor, finding opportunities for them to practice their lanugage and continuing to encourage them.

What I'm worried about is the huge turnout at the open house! Lot of people and not many spaces. Crossing our fingers here.