PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Thoughts or Impressions of the SS girls schools?

krobinm
12-16-2011, 08:59 AM
We went into the process quite blah about SS education but have come to really like what we've seen and heard on the tours. I'd love to hear what other people's thoughts are (particularly from current parents) regarding Spence, Chapin, Brearley, Nightingale, Marymount, Hewitt, CSH, etc. and how they're different.

obmomny
12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Spence has wonderful teachers and administrators. Bodie (head of school) and Elizabeth (head of lower school) are simply top notch.

bizzybee
12-19-2011, 12:24 PM
We're very happy with NBS so far. The girls and families in our dd's class are wonderful and so are the teachers. It's slightly more structured than the other SS girls schools but that could be a good thing or bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

maggaroni
12-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I thought Chapin felt really structured whereas Brearley really encouraged its girls to follow their passions. CSH and MM are both single sex but I don't get the same feel of girl power as at the other schools.

krobinm
12-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah, we didn't really know what to think of the SS girls schools when we started out the process. I kind of lumped them in the same bucket but after the tours, we definitely have clear preference. We really liked how the girls at Spence and Brearley seemed engaged in their classes and excited to be in school. We just didn't feel it at Chapin for some reason. CSH and MM are decent options but we didn't want the religious component.