PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Lessons learned from Private Kindergarten Admissions 2012

theschoolboards
02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
From NY Gifted Education Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/gifted-education-in-new-york/kindergarten-admissions-fall-2012-private-school-round-up) by Alina Adams:

As I promised months ago at the beginning of the Kindergarten Admissions (Fall of 2012) process (Private School Edition), I would let you know how it went, what I think we did right - and what I think we did wrong.

When it came to finding a private school for our daughter, we applied to a total of eight schools. Why eight? Well, because when you sign up to take the ERB test, they allow you to send out seven reports for the price of the test. Anything else is extra. (However, not all private schools require the test.)

One school that doesn't, is also the first one we didn't get into. The School at Columbia has no testing, no parent interview, no essay, no processing fee. All it has is a lottery. That we did not win.

So that left seven schools. Two Jewish ones, two all-girl ones, two relatively new ones, and a co-ed K-12.

In the end, we were accepted at two schools, waitlisted at four, and flat-out rejected at one.

The flat out rejection came from a school where, during the parent interview, my husband and I kept asking the Director questions about the school's policy, certain that we must be misunderstanding something, and receiving consistent answers that eventually prompted us to ask, "And you think that's a good thing?"

We weren't exactly expecting to be welcomed with open arms there.

Tip #1: If you want to get into a school, do not question the director regarding the wisdom of their mission statement.

Tip #2: If you want to increase your odds of acceptance, swallow your morals.

Tip #3: If you really like a school, let them know. And be specific. Schools like to hear that you appreciate the unique qualities they work so hard to instill.

read more>> (http://www.examiner.com/gifted-education-in-new-york/kindergarten-admissions-fall-2012-private-school-round-up)

LeoReisling
10-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Wooooo, slow down! Suggesting not asking questions just to get your child into a school, swallowing your morals, are you kidding me! This is your child's education for crying out loud! I do not care how much money you need to spend or if it is a private school that costs $50k per year, you need to do what is right for your child. unfortunately, we took the initial approach that if it is a private school it must be better, how wrong we were. Thankfully we found educational review forums like theschoolboards.com and the book, From Holy Hell and Back: Stories and Lessons Learned in Choosing and Surviving Your Child's Catholic Elementary School, that set us straight!
Choosing a school and staying at a school is an ongoing process, the public schools we pay taxes for just don't cut it.