PDA

View Full Version : BK-Brooklyn Hts/DT/DUMBO Good preschools in Brooklyn Heights area?

erinsnest
10-04-2010, 08:17 AM
moving to brooklyn heights or maybe boerum hill, cobble hill area at eoy. need to find a preschool for our child (3 y.o. next fall) but not a fan of montessori. just starting research and have come across the names plymouth, grace church, linden tree. any feedback on these or suggestions of others to consider?

MSeymour
10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The primary entry point for Plymouth Church and Grace Church is two years old so spots for 3 yr old entries are somewhat limited. Don't be discouraged though. You should call them anyway and see what they'll have available.

nysummers
10-06-2010, 08:01 PM
You didn't mention Friends in Brooklyn Heights- but that's another possibility. We really liked it on tour- they had great facilities and I really liked the idea that the school is based on an idea of community and teaching the kids community service and working together as a group. We have a few friends who have 3 and 4 year olds there and are really happy with it. The building itself is in good shape and seemed well taken care of- the location isn't the best in my opinion.
I visited Plymouth- and thought the program was sweet and lovely. The director was energetic and personal. She ran our tour (which I gathered was typical), which didn't happen at most of the schools I was at. It seems like a really nice, supportive program.
We visited Grace Church- and felt while the Director was obviously very experienced and takes great joy in what she does, the program felt more formal than what we wanted.
Linden Tree- I felt like was a sweet, neighborhood program that was committed to servicing families. The play yard is pretty minute- but for a preschool, that seems fairly standard.
There's also the Brooklyn Heights Synagogue Preschool on Remsen St.
The Cobble Hill Playgroup is for kids ages 2-4 years. I thought the director was fantastic. It seemed like the curriculum was arts heavy- which was fine with me, but might be something to look at.
There's also Packer and St. Anns- I didn't tour either of those so I can't speak to it.

jennb
10-11-2010, 07:25 PM
My son just turned three and we live in the neighborhood. We started looking for preschools last fall and applied (and were rejected) to St. Anns. I was really in love with the school and still am. It was one of the few schools that had an all day program. It is very hard to get into though. This year we toured Kiddie Korner and were impressed with the currciulm and the teachers but the hours just did not work out to what we needed. If it had we would have put him in that program. It is a Jewish school and they teach Hebrew but there are plenty of children that attend that are not Jewish also. I called and spoke to someone about Imagine but I did not like the look of the classrooms, too old and moldy looking. Also the person who answered the phone seemed bothered by my call. We ended up findinga preschool co-op on west 43rd street which is near my work. It is full day, with swimming lessons twice a week, music and movement class once per week and plenty of teachers. It is a co-op so they expect plenty of parent involvement, but we like that.