PDA

View Full Version : All SF Decision notifications for San Francisco Preschools 2012

ggbmom
02-28-2012, 02:08 PM
The admissions letters should be coming out any day now, no? It would be great if we can share our news, good or bad.

mishbar
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM
We haven't heard anything yet. I don't know whether to be worried or what. Anybody else?

sfbaymom
03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I thought we'd hear from all the places already but so far only the expected rejection from Little School and a couple waitlists. Don't the preschools send out their letters on the same day?

leomund
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
We heard back from Lycee La Perouse today (accepted). We only applied to one other school, which we haven't heard back from (Presidio Knolls).

abelle
03-02-2012, 09:01 PM
We have heard back from Peter's Place (accepted!) and one other small school. Haven't yet from anywhere else. From what I have been told the admissions notification is on a very rolling basis, as people accept or reject spaces and directors continue down the list.

7x7mom
03-02-2012, 10:00 PM
sfbaymom: It is frustrating that the preschools don't all notify at the same time. As abelle said, most operate on a somewhat rolling basis. They'll accept several kids and if any passes on the spot, they'll then go down the list. We went through this last year and it took well after a few weeks before we actually got a spot at where we ended up.

abelle: congratulations!!! must be such a relief to have a solid option. have heard wonderful things about peter's place.

ggbmom
03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
A couple waitlists too so far: Pacific Primary, 150 Parker. Still waiting to hear from Serra, Calvary and Little Gators. Has anybody heard from them?

mishbar
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
We were accepted to Russian Hill. NOs on Little School and Lone Mountain, no surprises there. We're waiting to hear from a few others too but am pleased with having one very good option, at the very least.

bmac2010
03-05-2012, 09:10 AM
We have a NO from Little School. Still waiting to hear from Cow Hollow, Russian Hill, St Luke's. And a few other wait lists from schools named above.

sfbaymom
03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
A couple waitlists too so far: Pacific Primary, 150 Parker. Still waiting to hear from Serra, Calvary and Little Gators. Has anybody heard from them?

We didn't apply to Serra but our friends there seem to think that their director has extended all the acceptances. Sorry to share the bad news.

TMZmom
03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Serra has sent most of their acceptance letters but call the director if you are still interested... it is very much on a rolling basis and people are always moving so if you really want this school, keep in touch with them and keep reiterating your preference. Hope that helps!

24x7Mom
03-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Does anyone have any insights into the Presidio Knolls Admissions process? What factors seem to be the most important in getting in, either in the first round or in subsequent rounds? Our daughter was just waitlisted and this was our first choice school so we're pretty bummed.

leomund
03-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Does anyone have any insights into the Presidio Knolls Admissions process? What factors seem to be the most important in getting in, either in the first round or in subsequent rounds? Our daughter was just waitlisted and this was our first choice school so we're pretty bummed.

Sorry to hear that. We were also waitlisted at PKS. No idea what the factors are but my instinct with most of the private schools is that a big one is what they think the parents will contribute to the school.

Jeremy Liew
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm a parent at PKS but not involved in any way in the admissions decision making. My understanding is that one of the major factors in the admissions process is getting a balance in the class (boys to girls, non Chinese speakers to kids that have some Chinese, ads balance through the year etc). They are also looking for a "fit" with the school, which means a commitment to Mandarin immersion and a progressive approach to education. I'm sure that are some kid specific issues as well, but I'm not as familiar with what they are.

somamom
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM

I echo what Jeremy said on the preschool admissions process. From talking to our PSD, her challenge is getting the right balance in the class, whether that's age, gender, diversity, outgoingness and so on. The family commitment to the school philosophy is definitely a factor too.

Preschool waitlists do move. If you haven't already, definitely touch base with the director and let her know how much you want to send your daughter to Presidio Knolls. Ask her how often you should check with her to see if a spot opens up. Didn't Presidio Knolls open up an elementary school recently or is planning to? Tell her you're committed to the school all the way through. Hope you get a spot there!

24x7Mom
03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. We were also waitlisted at PKS. No idea what the factors are but my instinct with most of the private schools is that a big one is what they think the parents will contribute to the school.

thanks for your thoughts leomund and congrats on getting into the lycee for your child!

24x7Mom
03-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm a parent at PKS but not involved in any way in the admissions decision making. My understanding is that one of the major factors in the admissions process is getting a balance in the class (boys to girls, non Chinese speakers to kids that have some Chinese, ads balance through the year etc). They are also looking for a "fit" with the school, which means a commitment to Mandarin immersion and a progressive approach to education. I'm sure that are some kid specific issues as well, but I'm not as familiar with what they are.

thanks for the feedback jeremy. i think she did well at the playdate and we're definitely committed to chinese immersion as a family but what may have been a factor is that mandarin is not the dialect we speak at home. we'll keep our fingers crossed for the waitlist...

24x7Mom
03-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I echo what Jeremy said on the preschool admissions process. From talking to our PSD, her challenge is getting the right balance in the class, whether that's age, gender, diversity, outgoingness and so on. The family commitment to the school philosophy is definitely a factor too.

Preschool waitlists do move. If you haven't already, definitely touch base with the director and let her know how much you want to send your daughter to Presidio Knolls. Ask her how often you should check with her to see if a spot opens up. Didn't Presidio Knolls open up an elementary school recently or is planning to? Tell her you're committed to the school all the way through. Hope you get a spot there!

thanks for the suggestion and well wishes somamom...will definitely reach out to the director and see what's going on.

ggbmom
03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Now I can breathe a deep sigh of relief. We got a spot at St. James, which is relatively close to our house.

7x7mom
03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Our friends found out just the other day that they got into Phoebe Hearst.

muminsf
03-13-2012, 08:43 AM
I have two children and I applied only to 3 schools. We got in our first choice which is the Laurel Hill co-op and we also heard back from the little school (NO) and French American (Yes). Interesting we received the letters the same day!

sfbaymom
03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I have two children and I applied only to 3 schools. We got in our first choice which is the Laurel Hill co-op and we also heard back from the little school (NO) and French American (Yes). Interesting we received the letters the same day!

Congrats to you muminsf. I wish we were so lucky. We're still grinding out the process hoping for good news.