PDA

View Full Version : All SF Bay Area Lycee La Perouse

leomund
03-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi, I just came across these forums while looking for recent information / reviews on Lycee La Perouse. Not sure how active the boards here are but was hoping to see if anyone has experience from the Lycee they can share? We would like my daughter to learn another language starting in pre-school and she was accepted to the Lycee's pre-K1 program.

Our alternatives are to go with Lycee or try to get into a Mandarin program (either an SF public school or Chinese American International School). Both require my daughter to older.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

somamom
03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
First of all, congratulations on getting into Lycee!

I wish I could help on Lycee but we did look at CAIS for kindergarten. Based on your choices of preschools, I'm guessing language is very important to you. Does it matter which language? Besides language, I would also consider the preschool philosophy. Is it play-based, Montessori, structured and so on. CAIS has a preschool that starts at 3 but we didn't consider it because its Montessori approach seemed a bit too rigid. Presidio Knolls was just starting but I think their play-based philosophy would have been a better fit. From the little I know of Lycee, their French immersion program is kind of intense, no?

leomund
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the input. Language is indeed important for us. While Chinese might be more useful in some respects (given global economic trends), it also is clearly much more difficult, and would be hard for us as parents to get involved. The main thing for us is to make sure our daughter grows up bilingual. The program there is intense in the sense of "total immersion" but at least with French i have some idea what is being said / written since I also speak Spanish. After having given it more thought, I think the Lycee might be a good fit for us.

somamom
03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the input. Language is indeed important for us. While Chinese might be more useful in some respects (given global economic trends), it also is clearly much more difficult, and would be hard for us as parents to get involved. The main thing for us is to make sure our daughter grows up bilingual. The program there is intense in the sense of "total immersion" but at least with French i have some idea what is being said / written since I also speak Spanish. After having given it more thought, I think the Lycee might be a good fit for us.

I didn't mean to turn you off of Chinese, just that you should look at the philosophy as well. When we looked at CAIS, we had the same concern about us not being mandarin speakers. We talked to a couple current parents there who are not speakers either and they didn't see it as a problem. I thought I read somewhere that >80% of the families at CAIS are non Mandarin speakers. In any case, good luck in your decision!

leomund
03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Good points - thanks!

Jeremy Liew
09-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Presidio Knolls runs an 80% Chinese immersion program starting with preschool at 2.5 years old. Kids pick up language so fast when they are young that they don't need significant parental involvement to learn a new language. I don't speak any Chinese and my wife barely does (lived in China for a year in her late 20s, 15 years ago), but my daughter has been in Chinese immersion preschools for 2 years and she is 4 years old and she seems to speak incredibly well. When she is playing with her friends who are native chinese speakers at the school, they talk to each other entirely in chinese. Same when she is talking to the teachers at Presidio Knolls. Presidio Knolls has now expanded to an Elementary school so that the kids will be able to stick with Chinese, eventually through 8th grade. The first Kindergarten class started in Aug 2012.

I agree with somamom that understanding the philosophy/educational approach is equally important in your decision (if not more important) than language immersion or not (and which language).

There is a good story in the WSJ about Presidio Knolls and Mandarin immersion in the Bay area (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443855804577600021401451132.html) in Aug 2012