PDA

View Full Version : All NYC NYC Parents Seeking Psychiatric Counseling for Private School Admissions

theschoolboards
03-19-2012, 08:46 AM
From N.Y. Post (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/play_time_over_VyAqhJIc22Vg8ytkba405L) by Tara Palmeri:

Panicked parents desperate to get their kindergarten-age kids into the toniest schools are so stressed out that they’re seeking counseling — psychiatric counseling — after they get out of admissions offices, top therapists told The Post.

Getting into the private institutions has become so cutthroat that wealthy moms are going to extremes to impress school officials — right down to fretting over whether they’re carrying the right Hermes purse on school tours, the therapists said.

Some shrinks say the stress is so great that parents threaten to uproot their families to escape it.

“It’s traumatizing. I hear parents say, ‘I just have to leave the city.’ I’m trying to help them stay grounded,” said Dr. Lisa Spiegel, a downtown therapist who runs the Soho Parenting center.

“Parents are eating, sleeping private-school admissions.”

In Spiegel’s sessions, parents spend most of their 90-minute slots talking about the process and their fear of failing their kids. She’s even advised some to keep their sanity by avoiding the more competitive mothers.

“Parenting is a competitive sport. We’re trying to provide parents respite from that,” she said.

read more>> (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/play_time_over_VyAqhJIc22Vg8ytkba405L)

Emily Glickman
03-30-2012, 08:15 AM
This is a fluffy article, but its main point--that the private school admissions process makes parents crazy--is sensible.

It's really hard to have your four-year-old ranked and judged by strangers. The very notion of four-year-olds competing for school admission is wrong. While admissions directors explicitly evaluate kids, secretly they evaluate parents' backgrounds, affluence, and likelihood to give. That's stressful for families too.

A good educational consultant helps families understand all their options, see the process clearly, and formulate a sensible, controllable plan.