PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Kindergarten notifications this week?

gottnick
03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Has anyone received their kindergarten assignment notifications yet? The calendar on the DOE site said it should be this week.

deadcalm
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm waiting, too. I haven't received any notices.

montREALady
03-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm waiting too, you'd swear it was college the way I've been attacking the mailbox! My friend told me we only get letters from the schools that accept them. I was a little confused since the Pre-K process was different.

montREALady
03-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I didn't apply to my zoned school so when I followed up with one of my choices, they said they send to the zoned kids first, then they have to wait on the DOE to let them know when to send to the non-zoned kids. Or something to that effect. So basically, I shouldn't expect anything this week. Apparently the DOE changed the rules this year.

deadcalm
03-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Same here. I didn't apply to zone schools either. I guess I have to continue the waiting game.

montREALady
03-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Same here. I didn't apply to zone schools either. I guess I have to continue the waiting game.

Very frustrating. I had to apply to charter schools to increase my chances. I applied to more of those than public.

montREALady
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Just found out from one school that she's only in the process of mailing out letters now because there was a problem with the system that allows them to print them out. Not sure if that's universal, maybe not. But it is something to hold on to for those of us still waiting.

Is anyone else calling and following up with the schools?

montREALady
03-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Got a rejection letter from one school on Saturday, in my district. Which I wasn't expecting since I thought they only mailed you when accepted.

deadcalm
03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I still haven't received anything. I was told by one school that the letters were mailed out on 3/23.

montREALady
03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I still haven't received anything. I was told by one school that the letters were mailed out on 3/23.

Consistent with what I heard on Friday. Must be some truth to it.

gottnick
03-27-2012, 08:03 AM
We finally found out we received a spot at our zoned school in the Upper West Side. Now the waiting game begins for G&T scores...

montREALady
03-27-2012, 08:31 AM
We finally found out we received a spot at our zoned school in the Upper West Side. Now the waiting game begins for G&T scores...

Nice! Our zoned school wasn't a good option before the deadline and is scheduled to close. Since then we learned a whole new public school with some potential will be opening in the fall. I filled out an app for them last week. Not sure how that will work in terms of notifications and when we'll be getting them.

deadcalm
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I just got a second rejection notice. Needless to say I am getting very nervous.

montREALady
03-27-2012, 09:13 AM
I just got a second rejection notice. Needless to say I am getting very nervous.

Wow, when did you get the first?! This is really annoying to say the least. We shouldn't be feeling this way re kindergarten. It's not this stressful back home in Montreal, Canada. Everyone I speak to can't understand what the big deal is here, lol. How many public schools did you apply to?

deadcalm
03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
The problem is that I live in a zone where all the PS are horrible and have extremely low test scores. Therefore, most of the schools I have applied for were out of zone. 3 of the PS school I applied for are non-zone schools, but they had 550 applicants for 70 slots. So the changes of me getting a slot was very slim. I applied for the charters schools, but I really don't want my child in a charter school. I am still keeping my fingers cross.

montREALady
03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
The problem is that I live in a zone where all the PS are horrible and have extremely low test scores. Therefore, most of the schools I have applied for were out of zone. 3 of the PS school I applied for are non-zone schools, but they had 550 applicants for 70 slots. So the changes of me getting a slot was very slim. I applied for the charters schools, but I really don't want my child in a charter school. I am still keeping my fingers cross.

Same problem here. My zoned school has been getting F's and is finally getting shut down. The other schools in my district aren't the best and the ones I really like are out of my district. I don't mind the charters I've visited and some have excellent scores.