PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Which charter schools to consider?

empirestatecc
10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Can someone tell me some of the better charter schools out there? What is the process of applying to them and do I have to be in zone to get into them..or how does that work?

nycschoolhelp
11-06-2010, 04:06 PM
It is hard to answer this question because there are many factors to consider, including progressive or traditional focus, test scores, diversity etc. and an ideal school for one family is not a good fit for another. Charter schools are publicly funded, privately run programs (not under DOE jurisdiction). They admissions policies are mandated by the state. They pick their students by lottery, which is usually held around April 1. Preference is given to families living within the district where the charter school is housed, but families from outside the district may have a chance at a seat after the in-district families have been served. Your zone makes no difference in this process. Each charter holds its own lottery and there is no downside to registering for all schools that you are interested in. If you are offered a seat, you don't need to take it. You can download a common app for charters as well as last year's Directory http://schools.nyc.gov/community/planning/charters/For+Parents/default.htm

empirestatecc
11-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanx for the link. I also found a link to the charter schools in Brooklyn. I am in Distrcit 13 so it seems I'll have a better chance at one of those. Here are the ones in my district- any recommendations?

COMMUNITY ROOTS CHARTER SCHOOL
COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP CHARTER SCHOOL
LEADERSHIP PREPATORY BEDFORD STUYVESANT CHARTER SCHOOL

nycschoolhelp
11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
The demographics in each school as well as the educational focus is quite different in each of these schools. You need to tour and determine which one is right for you. I will say that great work is being done at all three and Community Roots and Community Partnership look like they are both expanding to become k to 8th grade schools.