PDA

View Full Version : Peninsula Chinese American Students in San Mateo Assigned to Low Performing Schools Nearby Rather Than Their Neighborhood Schools

theschoolboards
07-31-2012, 08:13 AM
From S.F. Gate (http://www.sfgate.com/education/article/San-Mateo-student-transfers-probed-3748153.php) by Bob Egelko:

Hoi Ki Sin graduated from middle school this spring in Millbrae, where her family lives, and was all set to enter the ninth grade at Mills High School, the top-performing school in the San Mateo Union High School District. Instead, she's been assigned to Capuchino High in San Bruno, which has the district's lowest test scores.

"They said I'm not living in Millbrae," the 14-year-old girl said. "I'm not qualified because I'm living in my aunt's house, not in my parents' house."

Advocates say they know of at least a dozen similar cases in which the district barred Chinese American students from their local high school because they couldn't prove they lived in the neighborhood - their parents' names weren't on the home deed or rental agreement, or the head of household wasn't legally registered as the student's guardian.

In one case, said attorney Jenny Huang of the Asian American Law Caucus, the district has effectively kept a girl out of school for two years by refusing to recognize her residence in Millbrae with her aunt, who has cared for her since her parents returned to China.

Federal probe

The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights has opened an investigation into whether the district is enforcing proof-of-residency policies selectively against Chinese Americans who live in multifamily homes, or with relatives other than their parents. The investigation began Feb. 29 and such probes normally take six months, a department spokesman said.

The district, which has 8,400 students in its six schools, has denied any improprieties, telling local lawmakers that its policies are even-handed. District officials did not return calls seeking comment.

read more>> (http://www.sfgate.com/education/article/San-Mateo-student-transfers-probed-3748153.php)