PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan-All Has Anyone Heard of Any Openings In Private Schools for 2013-14 for Pre-K?

mmorgulas
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
We had a horrible experience at Horace Mann and want to change our son but don't know if there are any good options at this point. :(

jspencernyc5
04-11-2013, 08:22 AM
mmorgulas, I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a horrible experience. Considering how fluid openings may be at this point, the best thing is to call the Admissions Directors directly. I'd also consider calling some of the preschools but that would mean you'd have to go through the kindergarten process in the fall. Do you mind me asking whether it's the teacher, the administration or something else?

mmorgulas
04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
mmorgulas, I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a horrible experience. Considering how fluid openings may be at this point, the best thing is to call the Admissions Directors directly. I'd also consider calling some of the preschools but that would mean you'd have to go through the kindergarten process in the fall. Do you mind me asking whether it's the teacher, the administration or something else?

The class was 80% girls that were 6 months older, teachers that were unable/unwilling to accomodate his 3 year old behaviors (that independent evaluations in school revealed were not abnormal) and an administration that was too defensive of the teachers and overly-critical of his "issues". It is a place many people are happy with but it clearly was not a sustainable situation for us.

jspencernyc5
04-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Yikes, I feel for you. The imbalance in girls and boys as well as the age difference naturally made the situation tough so it must be even more frustrating when the supposed child development experts aren't able to handle it properly. Hang in there!! I hope you find a great place for your son.

kdominus
06-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I hope you've found a place by now. If not, I wanted to recommend to you River Park Nursery School on the UWS (Amsterdam and 94th, one block from the 1, 2, & 3 trains). My boys went there and had a wonderful experience. I couldn't recommend the school more highly. We won the pre school lottery and my twin sons both received admission to our local public preK. As much as I would love to continue at River Park, I just can not justify the expense. As such I know for a fact that two full time spots have just opened up. The school's website is: http://www.riverparknurseryschool.com/.