PDA

View Full Version : All NYC G&T Placement Policy

luchamos
04-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Parents, apart from the G&T Handbook, where can I find the G&T Placement policy? When did it become a lottery? Trying to find out when this change occurred. Thanks!

allafetter
04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
December 19th
http://insideschools.org/blog/item/1000549-doe-reverses-itself-on-sibling-gt-policy
The DOE's letter, signed by the chancellor, is printed below:
"Dear Families,
As you prepare for your child to take the Gifted & Talented (G&T) test in 2013, I wanted to share an update about how eligible students’ applications will be processed. In October, we proposed changes to the placement process and sibling priority for G&T admissions. The proposed changes were included in the 2012-13 G&T Handbooks. Based on feedback that we received from schools and families, we are not implementing the proposed changes this year.
For 2013 admission, we will use the same process and policy used for 2012 admission. Below you will find a description of the placement process and sibling priority policy for 2013 admission:

Eligible siblings of students currently enrolled at a school (in grades K-5 for the following September) will be placed first.

For Citywide programs, siblings scoring at or above the 97th percentile will be placed first, by percentile rank. For district programs, siblings scoring at or above the 90th percentile will be placed first, by percentile rank. After all eligible siblings have been placed, non-sibling applicants will be placed by percentile rank.
In any case where there are multiple students with the same sibling priority and score, and not enough seats for all of them, offers will be made based upon a random assignment process.
We will update our online handbooks to reflect the changes described above. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Enrollment at ES_Enrollment@schools.nyc.gov This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 718-935-2009.
We wish your child all the best.
Sincerely,
Dennis Walcott"

luchamos
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
But where does it say you're not guaranteed a seat? I thought in the past if you were eligible for a seat, they had to find one or make one. Am I mis-remembering? Or did that policy change?

Enlightened
04-22-2013, 12:46 PM
But where does it say you're not guaranteed a seat? I thought in the past if you were eligible for a seat, they had to find one or make one. Am I mis-remembering? Or did that policy change?

It's a policy change, there just aren't enough seats to handle the flood of "qualified" G&T students. Just to bring the point home, there's somewhere around 300 citywide and 3000+ district seats available - so say 4000 maximum seats. There are now 5369 children who placed in the 97th, 98th, or 99th percentiles.

Ergo, it is now virtually impossible for a child ranking 96th percentile or less with no siblings in the system to be placed in a public NYC G&T program of any kind for the upcoming school year

Parentsforfaireducation
04-23-2013, 06:54 AM
This proves the failure of the percentile ranking system, which produces too many eligible children for G&T. The difference between 99 and 97 could mean 15 errors.

That's why DOE should use the composite scores to determine children's eligibility for G&T programs. If you sign the following petition and leave comments for DOE, DOE will receive an email with your comments. Here the link for the petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/nyc-department-of-education-fair-admission-process-for-gifted-and-talented-program (https://www.change.org/petitions/nyc-department-of-education-fair-admission-process-for-gifted-and-talented-program)