PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Placement Exception Request 2013

Ariadne
05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Can anyone help me find a placement exception request?
We're moving and I have to try to transfer DC from one g&t program to another.

I'd appreciate any help.

Ariadne

erinsnest
05-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Did you dc take the G&T test this year? If not, I think you have to wait until after the placements are made sometime in June to request a placement exception. At least that's how I think it works.

Ariadne
05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
No, DC didn't take the test this year. I think I'll have to call the DOE.

Enlightened
05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
What is a placement exception request?

erinsnest
05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
My understanding is that it's usually used for sibling placement where two siblings are placed in different district G&T programs. You can make a placement exception request to have one sibling be moved to the other G&T program if space is available. If not, then that sibling would be moved to the zoned school housing the G&T program. The G&T handbook has a section on it so that probably explains it better than I just did.

nycschoolhelp
05-11-2013, 05:59 AM
A Placement Exception Request is what used to be called a 'variance'. it is a generic form that a parent fills out when they want their child to be moved from their assigned school to a "placement exception". For parents who wanted their children in a zoned school other than their current zone or parents who want to apply to middle school in a different district etc. Before you go running wily nilly to your District Office of Enrollment to get this form, in most cases it is not used. Elementary placement for gen ed is now handled mostly through the individual schools - so no need to fill out this central paperwork. The system has changed enough that now the "easy way" (none of it is easy) to get into an elementary school that you like is - go to the school and if they have room they will take you. Because G&T is handled at central, you have to go through their protocol. The reasons to be granted an "exception" I believe are safety, medical and childcare with significant documentation. In the past there was also an "other" but I haven't seen the current form.

05-11-2013, 06:27 AM
What is a placement exception request?

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/079CDC33-42A6-4D3F-A668-66317F7D1CAD/0/201213GTHandbookYOB2008_021513.pdf
go to this page and then go to page 8

05-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Can anyone help me find a placement exception request?
We're moving and I have to try to transfer DC from one g&t program to another.

I'd appreciate any help.

Ariadne

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/079CDC33-42A6-4D3F-A668-66317F7D1CAD/0/201213GTHandbookYOB2008_021513.pdf

go to this web page then go to page 8 of the hand book best

Ariadne
05-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Thank you, all! I know there are no guarantees, but we have to give it a shot.
Happy Mother's Day!

Ariadne

Enlightened
06-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Question about this. If child A is enrolled in a G&T program at one school, and child B is accepted into a different G&T school the next year, can child A be transferred to child B's G&T program through this Placement Exception process?

allafetter
06-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Also, can placement request be submitted for the same year the child took the test or it can only be done the following year? We got our first choice district but there is a chance that we will be moving to the new location within the same distrit. Since the distance between location are more than 6 miles and that affects school bus elligibility, can we submit placement request for this year?

Stuy81
06-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Also, can placement request be submitted for the same year the child took the test or it can only be done the following year? We got our first choice district but there is a chance that we will be moving to the new location within the same distrit. Since the distance between location are more than 6 miles and that affects school bus elligibility, can we submit placement request for this year?

I think you can submit a request at any time so long as you provide proof of new address. The school has a list of current bus stops. You can also find the list at the OPT website.