PDA

View Full Version : All NYC G&T - And yet another error!!!!

CLB08
05-10-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.schoolbook.org/2013/05/10/doe-weighs-ending-pearson-contract-after-another-scoring-error/

theschoolboards
05-10-2013, 05:07 PM
From SchoolBook (http://www.schoolbook.org/2013/05/10/doe-weighs-ending-pearson-contract-after-another-scoring-error/) by Yasmeen Khan:

Once again, a parent inquiry led to the detection of an error in Pearson’s scoring of the gifted and talented admissions test, the fourth in a string of embarrassments for both the testing company and the city’s Department of Education.

The D.O.E. announced Friday afternoon that an additional 82 students who did not previously qualify for G&T are now eligible for district programs, while 64 students now qualify for the more competitive citywide programs.

This latest scoring mistake comes after the announcement of errors last month, which affected the eligibility of thousands of children.

Chancellor Dennis Walcott released a statement about the errors in which he said he’d consider terminating Pearson’s three-year contract originally worth $5.5 million dollars:

“When the first error was identified, the Department required Pearson to take additional quality assurance steps to identify any additional errors, and before updated score reports were provided to families, Pearson confirmed that they had completed this process, and confirmed that the data they provided were accurate.

“However, the Department has determined that when Pearson went through this process, they failed to check the test date data they used in the score calculation against the test date data indicated on students’ answer sheets and did not identify that a default test date had been incorrectly applied. This failure to complete the basic quality assurance checks Pearson confirmed that they had completed is deeply disturbing; for this reason the Department of Education is reviewing a variety of options including terminating Pearson’s contract.”

read more>> (http://www.schoolbook.org/2013/05/10/doe-weighs-ending-pearson-contract-after-another-scoring-error/)

theschoolboards
05-10-2013, 05:09 PM
From Insideschools.org (http://insideschools.org/blog/item/1000646-more-errors-in-gt-scores-doe-may-fire-pearson) by Pamela Wheaton:

You can't make this stuff up. The Department of Education discovered still more errors on the scoring of this year's gifted and talented exams and may fire Pearson, the company that administers the tests, it announced Friday afternoon.

Chancellor Dennis Walcott called Pearson's repeated errors "deeply disturbing" and said he was "reviewing a variety of options, including terminating Pearson's contract."

More than 300 young test-takers are affected, mostly incoming kindergartners: 82 additional students now qualify for district G&T programs (scoring at or above the 90th percentile) and 64 more children scored above the 97th percentile and now qualify for citywide programs, according to a DOE statement.

In addition, 159 students’ percentile rank improved within either the district or citywide eligibility categories. The DOE said:

98 students remain eligible for district programs but will receive a higher percentile rank within the 90th-96th percentile range
36 students remain eligible for citywide programs but will move from the 97th to the 98th percentille
25 students remain eligible for citywide programs but will move from the 97 or 98th percentile to the 99th percentile

The DOE said it would telephone affected families beginning on Friday and continuing throughout the weekend. All families now have until May 15 to submit applications online, and until May 17 to turn them in at enrollment offices.

read more>> (http://insideschools.org/blog/item/1000646-more-errors-in-gt-scores-doe-may-fire-pearson)

Enlightened
05-10-2013, 06:14 PM
I just found out that I now qualify to enter NYC G&T. My mother is also quite excited that she qualified for the citywide program too

STATENMOM
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
But I don't see the DOE updates the new deadline, it's still May 10th.

Stuy81
05-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I just found out that I now qualify to enter NYC G&T. My mother is also quite excited that she qualified for the citywide program too

My pets also qualified for city-wide. God made all creatures Gifted & Talented. I'm ready to sign a petition to turn all general and special education schools into G&T.

Stuy81
05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
What does it mean, "DOE may fire Pearson"? Shouldn't this already be a foregone conclusion? Who would be stupid enough to continue to do business with a company that screwed up so much over the years?!? The DOE should sue Pearson for damages, and Pearson should be barred from city contracts forever.

Enlightened
05-10-2013, 07:48 PM
What does it mean, "DOE may fire Pearson"? Shouldn't this already be a foregone conclusion? Who would be stupid enough to continue to do business with a company that screwed up so much over the years?!? The DOE should sue Pearson for damages, and Pearson should be barred from city contracts forever.

But they said they were really sorry

Stuy81
05-10-2013, 08:06 PM
But they said they were really sorry

Doesn't count. they had their fingers crossed when they said sorry.

mommy
05-11-2013, 12:35 PM
That was sarcastic...

bkhousehold
05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I've lost all faith in the integrity of my son's score and don't know what to do. He was born November 2005 and is currently in a District G&T program but we would like him to move to his older sibling's school - a citywide. That meant he needed at least 97 to get a 3rd grade spot under the existing sibling policy. When the first lot of results came out he was ranked in the 89th percentile, and the letter said he was not eligible for a district G&T program (and we knew he was not at risk of losing his current slot). When the initial error was reported, I checked the table to see whether his score would improve and as he scored 113 OLAST-8 and 127 NNAT-2, I worked out his score would rise to 93. That weekend we got the robo-call which told us "there was no change to our son's score & that he was still not eligible for district G&T" and then we received the email which stated the same as the robo-call. I was perplexed given I had worked out it had risen to 93, but as it wasn't going to change his situation I wasn't too fussed. Then the second letter came in the mail and lo & behold, it said his score HAD increased and was now at 93. Now we have this second round of errors which again was caught by a parent, which I believe is to do with the default testing date being used to assess age at time of testing, rather than the actual date the test was taken. I've seen a comment somewhere that someone's score increased by another 3 points and so potentially it's possible (albeit unlikely) my son might increase to 97. My question is where can I see the testing date used in determining his score & check to see if the DOE/Pearson used the correct date rather than the default date? As my son was born late in the year, and was 7 years 2 months old at time of testing any date change might make a considerable difference.

bedstuymom
05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
As my dogs and cat now qualify for citywide G&T, will sibling priority get my daughter in to a citywide school if any of them get in? I'm thinking her odds may be back where they were before all the "corrections." Maybe the DOE can hire McKinsey to consult on Pearson screwups.

Gizlabs
05-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Just got some great news. after loosing all hope of a GnT program because our kid slept in late, and missed the test, we were excited and surprised that after the discovery of a new round of errors we now get bumped up to 99......awsome

Andersen here we come!

Stuy81
05-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I've lost all faith in the integrity of my son's score and don't know what to do. He was born November 2005 and is currently in a District G&T program but we would like him to move to his older sibling's school - a citywide. That meant he needed at least 97 to get a 3rd grade spot under the existing sibling policy. When the first lot of results came out he was ranked in the 89th percentile, and the letter said he was not eligible for a district G&T program (and we knew he was not at risk of losing his current slot). When the initial error was reported, I checked the table to see whether his score would improve and as he scored 113 OLAST-8 and 127 NNAT-2, I worked out his score would rise to 93. That weekend we got the robo-call which told us "there was no change to our son's score & that he was still not eligible for district G&T" and then we received the email which stated the same as the robo-call. I was perplexed given I had worked out it had risen to 93, but as it wasn't going to change his situation I wasn't too fussed. Then the second letter came in the mail and lo & behold, it said his score HAD increased and was now at 93. Now we have this second round of errors which again was caught by a parent, which I believe is to do with the default testing date being used to assess age at time of testing, rather than the actual date the test was taken. I've seen a comment somewhere that someone's score increased by another 3 points and so potentially it's possible (albeit unlikely) my son might increase to 97. My question is where can I see the testing date used in determining his score & check to see if the DOE/Pearson used the correct date rather than the default date? As my son was born late in the year, and was 7 years 2 months old at time of testing any date change might make a considerable difference.

Sorry to deflate your hopes, but too many kids scored 99 to be placed. Spots will open for the second and third grades only if a currently-attending child drops out.

bkhousehold
05-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Sorry to deflate your hopes, but too many kids scored 99 to be placed. Spots will open for the second and third grades only if a currently-attending child drops out.
Unless they're a sibling with a 99, then it doesn't count because under the current guidelines, a sibling with 97 trumps a non sibling w/ a 99.