PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Q&A with Dianne Drew, Head of Dwight School

theschoolboards
06-03-2013, 09:50 AM
From DNAinfo.com (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130603/upper-west-side/dwight-school-mission-balances-global-vision-with-homey-atmosphere) by Emily Frost:

When Dianne Drew became the new head of Dwight School in 2011, she was stepping into a community with a long legacy the independent pre-K through 12 school had been open nearly a century and a half.

And after teaching across the globe in Asia and Australia, where she's from, and in Manhattan public schools Drew said she was a little nervous about what a selective, historic private school in New York City would feel like.

But, she said she immediately felt at ease when she joined the school's ranks, and she feels grateful every day she was invited to lead the school.

"When I came to Dwight I found a home," she said. "You could see the community here was a family."

Q. How does the international student body with one third of the students from abroad influence the school community?

A. The community has adapted itself to be flexible and to include students. We have a lot of layers of support. We have a lot of mentoring. We have strong orientations. We have buddy systems. The parents have an ambassador system. When I came here, I felt a warmth of character from the students immediately. There was an absolute sense of acceptance. There was a strong sense of camaraderie. The students find joy here. I see teenagers happy in the morning and I'm pushing them to go home at 5 or 6 [at night]. Even on Friday afternoon, I'm literally pushing them out the door.

Q. How has your extensive and global teaching history informed your work?

A. I'm very passionate about learning about [different] curriculum. I push my faculty to think beyond our four walls. I draw upon my experiences. I draw upon what I've learned in Japan and other places and the sense of camaraderie that those places saw as essential. And I'm passionate that our faculty have overseas experiences. We have one teacher who is going to teach in London for a couple years, for example.

Q. You now have Dwight campuses in London, Canada, China and Seoul what benefits does that global network convey?

A. There's a great ability to see what opportunities exist for the students and also our faculty. We see students going to China and Seoul [Dwight campuses]. We do from long to short stays in London a year or two. We have cultural exchanges. We just had our school in London send their grade five here for a week and ours went there.

read more>> (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130603/upper-west-side/dwight-school-mission-balances-global-vision-with-homey-atmosphere)

Emily Glickman
07-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Dwight is a for-profit school that offers the International Baccalaureate program. The school welcomes international as well as local students.

During the past year or so two new for-profit New York City schools with an international orientation have entered Dwight's arena. Although they don't offer the sought-after IB program, Leman Meritas and Avenues also seek to attract international students and build campuses around the world.