PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Gifted & Talented Admissions for the 2014-2015 School Year

theschoolboards
10-07-2013, 08:38 AM
The DOE has made available the G&T Application Handbooks for the 2014-2015 school year on its website (http://schools.nyc.gov/Academics/GiftedandTalented/default.htm).

The deadline to submit your Request for Testing (RFT) form is November 8, 2013. You can access the form here (https://prod.semsnycdoe.com/parentsite/).
For key dates related to the G&T admissions process and the upcoming G&T information sessions, see the Calendar and Events page (http://schools.nyc.gov/Academics/GiftedandTalented/Calendar/default.htm).

The handbook provides a more detailed explanation of how the G&T test scores are calculated. Unlike last year, the DOE will be using a 50/50 split for the nonverbal assessment (NNAT) and the verbal assessment (OLSAT) to derive the overall G&T percentile rank.

The sibling priority will remain the same this year, which means:

Applicant will be granted sibling priority only if the sibling is pre-registered or enolled in the school for kindergarten through 5th grade.
Siblings scoring in 97th percentile or higher will be placed first and ranked by percentiles for Citywide programs. For district-wide programs, siblings scoring 90th percentile or higher will be placed first.
After eligible sibling applicants have been placed, applicants without a sibling will then be placed in the order of their percentile rank.

nycparent
03-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Any words on when are they releasing the G&T test results?
Some schools already scheduling open house as early as April 7th.

mtormom
03-25-2014, 04:23 PM
The only thing I saw on the DOE website says early April. I'm guessing early next week?

butterflymom
03-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Which schools are scheduling tours already? where do you find this information?

nycparent
03-26-2014, 11:42 AM
It's school by school. once the scores are released, a lot of the school sites will post open house information.

Brooklyn School of Inquiry is hosting open houses on 4/7 and 4/8
http://brooklynschoolofinquiry.org/about/bsi-admissions/kindergarten-3rd-admissions/

WaHi Mom
04-01-2014, 09:18 AM
None of the Manhattan citywide schools have updated with anything date specific.

It would be nice to have the results by this weekend.

Bellablueyess
04-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Did anyone hear or receive anything yet?

nycparent
04-02-2014, 10:11 AM
nothing yet.

Last year it came on a Saturday morning (3:30 AM on 4/6).
We received an email with a unique pin to unlock the letter on their site.

bedstuymom
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I may not even open my daughter's results. I haven't recovered from last year's rollercoaster and now that she's going into first grade the odds are ridiculous.

Bellablueyess
04-02-2014, 06:19 PM
thats what ive been hearing but still hoping for the best. someone also said they got there results on a sat at 2am with a pin. my guess is they are prob waiting for the city tests to be over with?

MorganBx1138
04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Just got this at 4:29pm-

Dear Families,

Spring is finally here and soon we’ll be sending out kindergarten placement offers. You can expect to receive a letter in the mail during the spring recess (April 14-22) and pre-registration will begin at schools after that time. Families who applied online will receive an email notification and can log in to see their placement letter.

If your child also participated in the Gifted & Talented testing process this winter, you will receive results later this week. Families of eligible students will have until April 21 to submit an application.

Also, you can find information about new full-day pre-kindergarten (pre-k) programs on the Pre-K website. The deadline to apply to pre-k is April 23.

As always, if you have questions about elementary school admissions, reach out to us at 718-935-2009 or email ES_Enrollment@schools.nyc.gov.

Thank you,
Elementary School Admissions Team

WaHi Mom
04-04-2014, 01:58 AM
A poster on urbanbaby says that g&t scores are already in the system if you have your child's pin number. It didn't help her because her child is a new tester and she hasn't received her pin. I don't know if the scores are actually up because my child is a new tester too.

Keith44
04-04-2014, 05:19 AM
DOE sent email with PIN #. Just recieved @ 8:11am. Children got into district G&T last year for K and it's been great. Trying for first grade citywide BSI. Chances are .00000001%.

MorganBx1138
04-04-2014, 05:23 AM
Still waiting on our pin... does the pin only get sent to those who made it?

Just got it for one of my twins! 96!
Missed citywide options by 1 point, weird to be that close but not matter.

Waiting on other twin...
Ah! He is 99... now what do you do? : )

Keith44
04-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Don't know. Trying to figure out how to see the scores. This is the text of the email.

Dear Parent/Guardian of XXXXXXXXXXXX,
We are pleased to inform you that XXXXXXXXXXXX is eligible to apply for placement in a New York City Department of Education Citywide Gifted & Talented program for the 2014-2015 school year. Students who scored at or above the 97th percentile on the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT) and Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT) are eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide program. Students currently attending a District G&T program may apply for placement in a Citywide program only; they are not eligible to apply for another District program.

You may log in to the website below to view your child's score report, which provides an explanation of how your child's score was determined, and to complete the online application. When applying online, you will need to use the assigned PIN below to access your child's online application.

Keith44
04-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Have closure now. Child got 98% which rules out having any chance for citywide first grade. I will still apply just in case scores get revised upwards again like last year. Already in a district G&T so can't apply to move to another. Wouldn't want to anyway. G&T roller coaster ride comes to an end. Good luck everyone.

nycschoolhelp
04-04-2014, 05:53 AM
It seems that you may hear whether you have scored in or not. This from the Doe website:
Score reports and eligibility letters for the 2014-2015 school year were sent to families in early April. If you do not receive your child’s results by April 7th, please call 718-935-2009 for assistance.

MorganBx1138
04-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Don't know. Trying to figure out how to see the scores. This is the text of the email.

Dear Parent/Guardian of XXXXXXXXXXXX,
We are pleased to inform you that XXXXXXXXXXXX is eligible to apply for placement in a New York City Department of Education Citywide Gifted & Talented program for the 2014-2015 school year. Students who scored at or above the 97th percentile on the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT) and Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT) are eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide program. Students currently attending a District G&T program may apply for placement in a Citywide program only; they are not eligible to apply for another District program.

You may log in to the website below to view your child's score report, which provides an explanation of how your child's score was determined, and to complete the online application. When applying online, you will need to use the assigned PIN below to access your child's online application.

The pin is listed below

naniiva
04-04-2014, 07:17 AM
I just receive the score. 99% . I am so proud of my daughter :)

nycparent
04-04-2014, 07:25 AM
anyone still waiting for the email?
We haven't got any emails yet.

Keith44
04-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I would be curious too for that chart. One of my twins got four wrong overall and the other got eight wrong overall but both in same 98%.

bedstuymom
04-04-2014, 07:26 AM
nyc parent - try calling. sometimes you get lucky with someone who will look up your pin for you.

bedstuymom
04-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Keith44 - I envy your closure. My daughter is going into 1st grade as well. She got a 99 last year and this year. Last year we missed out on citywide and decided to pass on our district G&T in favor of a new charter. I don't know if my psyche can handle another rider on the roller coaster after last year's harrowing experience.

nycparent
04-04-2014, 07:32 AM
bedstuymom, thanks for the tip. DOE is not taking calls at the moment.

mofaxiaoren
04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
My kid did bad this time, she got 99% in nonverbal and only 57% in verbal with a overall 89%. she did well last year with a 99% and was in a g&t district school. just wanna ask does this test score affect her current g&t seat?

nycparent
04-04-2014, 08:56 AM
mofaxiaoren, it should not affect current G&T status.
They never kick any kids out once you are in the G&T class.

butterflymom
04-04-2014, 09:03 AM
when will the full results of how many students scored in which percentile come out? thats always so interesting.

bghgc
04-04-2014, 10:02 AM
My kid did bad this time, she got 99% in nonverbal and only 57% in verbal with a overall 89%. she did well last year with a 99% and was in a g&t district school. just wanna ask does this test score affect her current g&t seat?

Same here 99 nonverbal 80 verbal but 99 last year. There is something fishy with this year's results.

I foresee that they discover "errors" and there will be "correcting" the results in a couple of months.

kwwoonkg
04-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Last year verbal section was only 35% of the test and this year is 50%. I do hope they find some "errors" so can give my child an extra percent on nonverbal. My child got a 98 this year and have no hope for citywide. Disappointed but still proud of him~

bghgc
04-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Last year verbal section was only 35% of the test and this year is 50%. I do hope they find some "errors" so can give my child an extra percent on nonverbal. My child got a 98 this year and have no hope for citywide. Disappointed but still proud of him~

If indeed kids score lower in the verbal part and this year the verbal part counts for 50% then your child might get into the citywide with 98 -- errors or no errors.

bedstuymom
04-04-2014, 11:35 AM
I am hoping there are no errors/re-scoring/lawsuits this year (but also that kwwoonkg's son gets a spot, you should be very proud of him!). The debacle last year really took it out of me.

jakchun
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
DS got a 92. What are the chances that we will even get a spot at our first choice district w/o a sibling?

bghgc
04-04-2014, 01:04 PM
DS got a 92. What are the chances that we will even get a spot at our first choice district w/o a sibling?

It depends on your district (that you did not tell us) and the overall stats (that we don't know yet)

efrosiniya
04-04-2014, 01:13 PM
my daughter got 96, I'm not happy but I'll take it. Can I apply to schools outside of my district (district 21), or I don't have a chance?

jakchun
04-04-2014, 01:24 PM
It depends on your district (that you did not tell us) and the overall stats (that we don't know yet)

thanks - it's district 26 and we really want PS 115!!! anyone with experience getting into the g&t program at this school?

chowkitty
04-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I still have not gotten an email. My DC is currently in 1st grade. Is that a bad sign? I am confused bc I spoke to a few people who got their scores early am.

FHmom
04-04-2014, 03:09 PM
My son got a 99. Wondering if we apply to city and district and get a district seat, are we still on wait list for city seat?

theschoolboards
04-04-2014, 09:38 PM
The 2014-2015 NYC gifted and talented summary testing results are now available:

http://www.theschoolboards.com/showthread.php/3862-NYC-gifted-and-talented-summary-testing-results-2014-2015

Ritesh_ks
04-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Daughter got 98 percentile. She will be going to kindergarten. Although she is eligible to apply for citywide schools, any chance she may get into them or should we rather focus on district programs?

bedstuymom
04-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Daughter got 98 percentile. She will be going to kindergarten. Although she is eligible to apply for citywide schools, any chance she may get into them or should we rather focus on district programs?

The advice I got for applying to kindergarten last year was to rank honestly in order of your preference. I think realistically citywide schools are tough for non-siblings without a 99 but ranking citywide schools shouldn't affect at all your district choices. There's a new citywide in Queens, so that may shake thing up. Maybe they will re-score a few times as they did last year and you will end up with a 99.

bedstuymom
04-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Anybody have comments/insights on 30Q300?

erinsnest
04-05-2014, 09:34 AM
My son got a 99. Wondering if we apply to city and district and get a district seat, are we still on wait list for city seat?

I believe so. It didn't used to be that way but last year DOE changed it so that kids who scored above 97th percentile stayed on the waitlist for a citywide seat. However, I'm not sure if anybody got off the waitlist though.

Ricky721
04-05-2014, 02:53 PM
anyone still waiting for the email?
We haven't got any emails yet.

Hi fellow parent. FYI - we have not received an email yet either. It's good to know I'm not alone... I saw a posting on the thread. Both her kids took the test and did not get emails with results yet. Keep me posted if you do.

Ricky721
04-05-2014, 03:02 PM
I still have not gotten an email. My DC is currently in 1st grade. Is that a bad sign? I am confused bc I spoke to a few people who got their scores early am.

Hi, its late Saturday... did you get the test scores yet? I did not get mines.

chowkitty
04-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Nope. Not a word.

Ricky721
04-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Nope. Not a word.

Hi oh okay.. Keep checking, good luck!! Doesn't mean anything bc I know some got 80 and 87 and they got results. Another friend of my didn't get the scores, I just found out. So I'm thinking it's random. Is your kid testing it the first time??

nycparent
04-07-2014, 06:59 AM
I emailed DOE twice on Friday at ES_Enrollment@schools.nyc.gov
I include the child's name, DOB, and student ID (you may not have this unless you attend a public school, it's on the RFT letter)
and one of the email came back with the score report and application form.
Hope everyone gets theirs by now.

Ricky721
04-07-2014, 07:03 AM
I include the child's name, DOB, and student ID (you may not have this unless you attend a public school, it's on the RFT letter)

Thanks for the information... Unfortunately, I still have not been able to assess information and the Enrollment office does not have a reason why so I'm still waiting....

LL_District28
04-07-2014, 07:04 AM

I still have not heard back. I will try and send the email as you suggested. Are there any other parents that haven't heard yet?

chowkitty
04-07-2014, 07:09 AM
I still have not heard back. I will try and send the email as you suggested. Are there any other parents that haven't heard yet?

I still haven't heard. I called this am and was told it would be a few days before someone got back to me. I just emailed. So frustrating!

Ricky721
04-07-2014, 07:10 AM

Hi, I'm one of the parents who have not recieved a reply nor know what the score is. I've emailed and called. The enrollment office does not have a reason why other then they are looking into it. The only suggestion was said to me was to call back towards the end of the day.

nycparent
04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Best of luck. Just make sure you call before 3, that's the "end of day" for them.

Another possibility is stop by an enrollment office to see if they can print you an application / results.
When we called on Friday, they didn't give an definite answer whether they can print you the form / results or not, they just said we can't do anything over the phone, and we close at 3pm. We called at 2:55.

Tell them everyone is doing open houses and you can't attend any of these w/o the test results.

Ricky721
04-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Best of luck. Just make sure you call before 3, that's the "end of day" for them.

Another possibility is stop by an enrollment office to see if they can print you an application / results.
When we called on Friday, they didn't give an definite answer whether they can print you the form / results or not, they just said we can't do anything over the phone, and we close at 3pm. We called at 2:55.

Tell them everyone is doing open houses and you can't attend any of these w/o the test results.

Hi Thanks for the suggestions.... I will look into it. I'm beyond fuming as this is the 3rd time I'm doing this... there's alway's something wrong alway's without fail.

Ricky721
04-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Hi, the Enrollment office should have all the g and t scores, it should be available. Call 718 935 2009, they will advise you of the information and they will resending you all the information, if you have not received it.

LL_District28
04-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi, the Enrollment office should have all the g and t scores, it should be available. Call 718 935 2009, they will advise you of the information and they will resending you all the information, if you have not received it.

Thanks for the update. My wife contacted the office as well and they just sent us the GT_letter pdf, and the GT_Score_Report. One thing I was not clear on is where the pin number is. My daughter was eligible for district this time around.

Ricky721
04-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the update. My wife contacted the office as well and they just sent us the GT_letter pdf, and the GT_Score_Report. One thing I was not clear on is where the pin number is. My daughter was eligible for district this time around.

If you don't mind sharing... What grade is your daughter entering? My son scored district as well. He scored way better the past 2 years. This time he got in district as well. I guess it's not bad after all. The pin number is at the very end of the letter..... its in a box. Hope this helps.

LL_District28
04-07-2014, 10:05 AM
If you don't mind sharing... What grade is your daughter entering? My son scored district as well. He scored way better the past 2 years. This time he got in district as well. I guess it's not bad after all. The pin number is at the very end of the letter..... its in a box. Hope this helps.

She is entering first. She actually did a bit worse than last year, but is eligible for district. I think the problem is they think she is currently enrolled in a G&T (she is not). Last year he only got our last choice district and unfortunately it was out of our way so we did not enroll her. Last year's pin doesn't work.

Here is the content of our letter.

April 2014
Dear Parent/Guardian,
Thank you for your interest in New York City Department of Education Citywide Gifted & Talented
programs. This letter is to inform you that based on your child’s assessment results he or she is not
eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide program for the 2014-2015 school year.
Students who scored at or above the 97th percentile on the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT)
and the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT) are eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide Gifted &
Talented program. Enclosed is a copy of your child’s score report, which provides an explanation of how
the score was determined.
Although your child is not eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide program, this assessment has no
impact on your child’s continued enrollment in his or her current Gifted & Talented program.
We wish your child every success in the upcoming school year.
Sincerely,
Nicholas Farrell
Director, Gifted & Talented Admissions
www.nyc.gov/schools/GT

G&T

Ricky721
04-07-2014, 10:15 AM
She is entering first. She actually did a bit worse than last year, but is eligible for district. I think the problem is they think she is currently enrolled in a G&T (she is not). Last year he only got our last choice district and unfortunately it was out of our way so we did not enroll her. Last year's pin doesn't work.

Here is the content of our letter.

April 2014
Dear Parent/Guardian,
Thank you for your interest in New York City Department of Education Citywide Gifted & Talented
programs. This letter is to inform you that based on your child’s assessment results he or she is not
eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide program for the 2014-2015 school year.
Students who scored at or above the 97th percentile on the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT)
and the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT) are eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide Gifted &
Talented program. Enclosed is a copy of your child’s score report, which provides an explanation of how
the score was determined.
Although your child is not eligible to apply for placement in a Citywide program, this assessment has no
impact on your child’s continued enrollment in his or her current Gifted & Talented program.
We wish your child every success in the upcoming school year.
Sincerely,
Nicholas Farrell
Director, Gifted & Talented Admissions
www.nyc.gov/schools/GT (http://www.nyc.gov/schools/GT)

G&T

You should put in a ticket number / report the problem if you really want your daughter to get into the program. She's might be scoring lower b/c they changed the score calculations. Last year it was 65% NNAT and 35% OLSAT (verbal), where as this year its 50% / 50%, she might be getting the same amount wrong but the scores are lower. It's only getting harder... so, if you really want to get in this district, I would ask them to fix the situation for you.

I've been trying it for the 3rd year with scores at 99, 98 and this year 95 (b/c of the scoring method changed (he got the same amount of questions wrong @ 98%). And still the luck has not come thru with the lottoing system. Hope your luck is better then mind. ;)

nycparent
04-07-2014, 11:05 AM
LL_District28, this year's pin looked different from last years. Last year looked like first / last initial with 4 digits. This year has nothing to do with initials.

aliwat
04-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Same here 99 nonverbal 80 verbal but 99 last year. There is something fishy with this year's results.

I foresee that they discover "errors" and there will be "correcting" the results in a couple of months.

I'm interested in this too. My son got 99% on NNAT and 71% on OLSAT, combined 89%. Seems off to me when comparing notes with friends, even when factoring in age differences. Are either of you planning to investigate?

LL_District28
04-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Yeah I'm in a weird limbo now. ES_Enrollment gave us the letter and score report, but as you can see from the text I copied, the PIN wasn't included. My child scored a 94 this time, but there is no pin included.

kwwoonkg
04-08-2014, 06:30 AM
My son got 99% on NNAT and 97% on OLSAT... pretty obviously that is a 98% average. Comparing with his friend's result, 99% on NNAT and 95% on OLSAT and also end up with 98%. They born in the same month so I don't think "age differences" really affecting their scores. I am happy with both kids, but... just don't understand how did DOE do their math~

nycparent
04-08-2014, 07:24 AM
My son got 99% on NNAT and 97% on OLSAT... pretty obviously that is a 98% average. Comparing with his friend's result, 99% on NNAT and 95% on OLSAT and also end up with 98%. They born in the same month so I don't think "age differences" really affecting their scores. I am happy with both kids, but... just don't understand how did DOE do their math~

My guess is that the percentile is a "coarse" grid, the composite score is a "finer" grid and used for merging OLSAT and NNAT.
Altho both kids got 99% in one category, they may have different composite score (unless you know how many question they got correct)

Here is the chart from last year, which is not valid for this year due to different weighting. Plus they didn't send out composite score. This is just to show how the 2 categories get merged together. I never understood how they come up with the chart.

rnewman
04-08-2014, 07:41 AM
I'm interested in this too. My son got 99% on NNAT and 71% on OLSAT, combined 89%. Seems off to me when comparing notes with friends, even when factoring in age differences. Are either of you planning to investigate?

Has anyone heard of any child who's score seemed completely off? My daughter is 5 and while she may not be gifted (99%) she scored sooo low that I feel like perhaps the numbers are wrong. Her pre-k teacher says she is one of the brightest in her class. How could there be such a disparity?

77happyface
04-08-2014, 07:55 AM
My son got 99% on nonverbal, 1% on verbal, tell me about it if it is weird or not? I emailed DOE for paper checking and appeal already. No reply yet.

bghgc
04-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Has anyone heard of any child who's score seemed completely off? My daughter is 5 and while she may not be gifted (99%) she scored sooo low that I feel like perhaps the numbers are wrong. Her pre-k teacher says she is one of the brightest in her class. How could there be such a disparity?

There are a variety of reasons she scored low although she is bright. She was not at her best during testing or teacher was not friendly or intimidating or just mumbling the questions or questions were not recorded properly. If she scored low in the verbal part I would put most of the blame on the testing teacher. Intelligence tests are meant to be administered by professionals such as psychologists. Everything else is a joke. The same standards that DOE exhibits in testing carry over to their schools. So I would not worry if your kid does not get in to a g&t school--DOE makes sure that they malfunction.

rnewman
04-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Yes, I would question that! My daughter got in the 60s on both tests and her percentile was the exact average of the tests. I also emailed to review the test and have not gotten a confirmation of that. Is your son going into kindergarten? Where did he take the test? My daughter was tested at a school in Chelsea.

77happyface
04-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Yes, I would question that! My daughter got in the 60s on both tests and her percentile was the exact average of the tests. I also emailed to review the test and have not gotten a confirmation of that. Is your son going into kindergarten? Where did he take the test? My daughter was tested at a school in Chelsea.

Yes, he is going to kindergarten. He took the test in Queens PS191. English is his primary language. I feel like to get 1% on verbal, either he was doing it on purpose or there is something wrong with the teacher asking him questions.

rnewman
04-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Thank you for the support. I hear you. I am actually not worried about the g & t school. Our local gen ed school is great and that's where her sister goes, but I just thought that maybe it indicated that I need to help her with something so that she continues to have a love of learning...despite the DOE!

rnewman
04-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Yes, he is going to kindergarten. He took the test in Queens PS191. English is his primary language. I feel like to get 1% on verbal, either he was doing it on purpose or there is something wrong with the teacher asking him questions.

Yes, both of those are good explanations. My daughter's first language is Spanish but I don't think that really impacted too much. Although there was an article on the DNA website, that those children who speak another language at home could be negatively impacted. I am going to review her test anyway (if the DOE ever gets back to me) to see what I see.

bedstuymom
04-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I believe there was a lot of discussion last year about the overall percentile and composite scoring (and a lawsuit about it). The fact that the overall percentile is not a straight mathmatical average of the two portions may have something to do with the fact that they are on different scales because of the different numbers of questions. I seem to recall there is a calculation involved to reconcile that which somehow factors into overall percentile. I'm no statistician though. My eyes glazed over reading the scoring lawsuit last year.

rnewman
04-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Yes, both of those are good explanations. My daughter's first language is Spanish but I don't think that really impacted too much. Although there was an article on the DNA website, that those children who speak another language at home could be negatively impacted. I am going to review her test anyway (if the DOE ever gets back to me) to see what I see.

One other question...if you don't mind. What were the break down of the raw scores? How many did he get right to get a 1%? And for the 99%? My friends daughter who is 5 got 25/30 and got a 99%. Does that sound right?

77happyface
04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
One other question...if you don't mind. What were the break down of the raw scores? How many did he get right to get a 1%? And for the 99%? My friends daughter who is 5 got 25/30 and got a 99%. Does that sound right?
My son is still 4, he got 2 right for the 1% and 33 correct for the 99%. Combined is 50% =P

bedstuymom
04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
rnewman - Again, I'm no expert and the scoring is a little complicated. For someone to get a 1%, I have to think there was some king of error, either the machine couldn't read the test, almost all questions were blank, the person writing down the answers missed one and all the following answers were out of order or something. I would definitely request to see the test and see if you can figure it out. The number of questions a child needs to answer correctly to score a 99 might vary based upon their age. Percentiles are comparisons of scores, so they claim that a child is only compared to other children within a three month band. A child who just turned 5 yesterday shouldn't be compared with a child who is going to turn 6 next week. The younger child might need to get 25/30 to score 99, and the older child might need to get 26 or 27/30 to also get a 99. At least that's what I understand.

rnewman
04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
My son is still 4, he got 2 right for the 1% and 33 correct for the 99%. Combined is 50% =P

I wonder why some percentile scored are just the average of the two scores while others are not. Another person posted that their child got a 99 and 80 and the percentile was not 89. This is a mess. So discouraging that the DOE is in such disarray.

rnewman
04-08-2014, 12:40 PM
rnewman - Again, I'm no expert and the scoring is a little complicated. For someone to get a 1%, I have to think there was some king of error, either the machine couldn't read the test, almost all questions were blank, the person writing down the answers missed one and all the following answers were out of order or something. I would definitely request to see the test and see if you can figure it out. The number of questions a child needs to answer correctly to score a 99 might vary based upon their age. Percentiles are comparisons of scores, so they claim that a child is only compared to other children within a three month band. A child who just turned 5 yesterday shouldn't be compared with a child who is going to turn 6 next week. The younger child might need to get 25/30 to score 99, and the older child might need to get 26 or 27/30 to also get a 99. At least that's what I understand.

Yes, I get what you're saying. I think the DOE owes it to a parent to advise them if their child didn't/wouldn't/couldn't answer the questions. I guess that is what the opportunity to review the test is for in June. My daughter got in the high 60s on both tests...half wrong on each (in her raw scores). Like I said, she may be no genius but her pre-k teacher was shocked by that. I was too as the kids she hangs with all got 91-99 percentile. Jsut trying to assess if she actually needs extra help or if this was a case of soemthing else going on. I am lucky, however, as my local gen ed school is fabulous but what about all of the people who do not have that as an option???

bedstuymom
04-08-2014, 01:06 PM
rnewman - I would like to think someone at the testing site would tell you if there were an issue with a child just not answering. You know your children and they don't. I'm not even sure these tests mean that much for such a little person. Everyone's mind works differently and the format of the test can be a little weird. (I showed some of the practice questions the DOE posted to some lawyers in my office in their 20's and they got them wrong). You are lucky that your local school is great.

bghgc
04-08-2014, 01:07 PM
My son got 99% on nonverbal, 1% on verbal, tell me about it if it is weird or not? I emailed DOE for paper checking and appeal already. No reply yet.

I thought parents cannot appeal. They can look at the test but not appeal. Right?

77happyface
04-08-2014, 01:22 PM
I thought parents cannot appeal. They can look at the test but not appeal. Right?
Here is the info I got from the G&T Handbook:
If parents wish to report a problem with any test administration, the problem must be reported in writing
within 48 hours of the test administration. Problems must be reported to the Division of Accountability &
Achievement Resources within 48 hours of test administration via letter or email to:
DAAR, G&T Test Administration
52 Chambers Street, Room 309
New York, NY 10007
OAServicedesk@schools.nyc.gov

I got a reply that they received my appeal email and waiting for further notice.

77happyface
04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Yes, I get what you're saying. I think the DOE owes it to a parent to advise them if their child didn't/wouldn't/couldn't answer the questions. I guess that is what the opportunity to review the test is for in June. My daughter got in the high 60s on both tests...half wrong on each (in her raw scores). Like I said, she may be no genius but her pre-k teacher was shocked by that. I was too as the kids she hangs with all got 91-99 percentile. Jsut trying to assess if she actually needs extra help or if this was a case of soemthing else going on. I am lucky, however, as my local gen ed school is fabulous but what about all of the people who do not have that as an option???

You are shocked.... Imagine how I feel when I see the 2 extreme score! I think I have to reevaluate my son's verbal/listening skill.

bghgc
04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Here is the info I got from the G&T Handbook:
If parents wish to report a problem with any test administration, the problem must be reported in writing
within 48 hours of the test administration.

I read the above as a right to report a problem during test administration rather than appeal of the grade. Also, the report should be 48 hours after the test administration NOT grade notification. Does anybody know what is DOEs policy for grade appeals?

JadesMommy
04-08-2014, 06:30 PM
My daughter scored a 97 % on her G&T test. OLSAT- 95% and NNAT- 98% ... we are applying for both district priority and Other district programs... We are from Brooklyn. How is ps. 230?

JenBenMen
04-10-2014, 08:07 AM
My son scored 99%. Thinking of 229 in Brooklyn...any thoughts?

lucyli
04-10-2014, 11:47 AM
hi, fabulous parents.

I'd been very happy my girl got "eligible" for district programs for the whole weekend passed. And since 90~100 is all "eligible", I'd thought 95 was a not-bad score. Until I see many ppl are sorry for the 98 score here.....

we lived in D3, and the zoned school is a disaster. I can apply PS 163/165/166, and with a score of 95, could anybody please tell me if I have any chance of any schools above?

bedstuymom
04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
lucyli - you should be happy that your daughter did so well. some may be disppointed that a 98 means there might be no chance to get into a citywide school, but 95 is excellent and qualifies you for a district spot. I don't really know anything about District 3, but you may well get a spot at one of your district G&T schools. It just depends on how many spots there are and how many eligible kids there are in your district. Some parents who are zoned for a school they like will send their kids there. You may also be able to get her into another school inyour district that you like even if she doesn't get a G&T spot. Sometimes going to a school or calling and talking to the principal or the parent coordinator can get you into a spot. My daughter is going into 1st grade, but the kindergarten process last year was incredibly stressful for me (not for her because she didn't know what was going on). Please don't let anything anybody says on here stop you from being very happy that she did so well or make you less proud of her. Good luck to you both!

lucyli
04-10-2014, 12:42 PM
thanks a lot bedstuymom, that was a very sweet comment from you. yeah I had never expected much out of her test so when she was "eligible", I was really caught surprised and pleased. all these comparison and stress are definitely harmful, but there will turn out an acceptable result anyway.

lucyli - you should be happy that your daughter did so well. some may be disppointed that a 98 means there might be no chance to get into a citywide school, but 95 is excellent and qualifies you for a district spot. I don't really know anything about District 3, but you may well get a spot at one of your district G&T schools. It just depends on how many spots there are and how many eligible kids there are in your district. Some parents who are zoned for a school they like will send their kids there. You may also be able to get her into another school inyour district that you like even if she doesn't get a G&T spot. Sometimes going to a school or calling and talking to the principal or the parent coordinator can get you into a spot. My daughter is going into 1st grade, but the kindergarten process last year was incredibly stressful for me (not for her because she didn't know what was going on). Please don't let anything anybody says on here stop you from being very happy that she did so well or make you less proud of her. Good luck to you both!

bedstuymom
04-10-2014, 04:39 PM
lucyli - thanks. I didn't mean to be critical of anyone posting here. There are a lot of things about the process that are disappointing. Mostly the fact that there aren't enough spots for the kids that qualify. It is a stressful process for everyone. I think we're all just trying to figure out the process and turning to other parents to get as much information as they can. I let it get to me last year and wish that I hadn't . I hoe you stay pleased and happy and proud through it all.

new_mom
05-02-2014, 06:49 AM
While it is true for 2014 OLSAT results in general, it was especially noted that many bilingual children have scored much lower this year on OLSAT. DOE has not released any stats broken down by testing language, I'm just curious whether the tests variations in other languages were flawed.

English-based tests wording seemed to be simpler and more direct, which is so much easier to understand for a 4-yr old. At the same time many parents felt that the first language their child spoke is their primary language, and had their children tested in their first language, only to find out that test results did not reflect the level of language competency. The results are especially striking, if one compares NNAT (non-verbal) and OLSAT (verbal reasoning /comprehansion) results for the bilingual kids.

Even if the tests were not flawed, there should be an option for bilingual children to be tested in both of their languages to get a true accessment of their verbal comprehention skills, if they choose to do so.

ParentD30
05-23-2014, 11:16 AM
I was hoping that we would get the placements today. I guess we will have to wait until next week.

ParentD30
05-27-2014, 12:48 PM
If you call the DOE, 718-935-2009, you can get the placements today.

bghgc
05-27-2014, 01:27 PM
what did you get?

bedstuymom
05-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Letters are also available if you log in to SEMS

jkwon
05-27-2014, 03:34 PM
No placement
99%
District 2
1) Anderson
2) Nest
3) Lower Lab

Does this mean that everyone that got placed at Lower Lab (with the exception of siblings) are in the 99th%?

FHmom
05-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Does the district where you live affect your placement for citywide? We live in district 28 and our son got a 99% and was placed at our third choice- ps300.

kwwoonkg
05-27-2014, 03:47 PM
I am still waiting for the placement. Can't wait........

FHmom
05-27-2014, 03:58 PM
First seats go to siblings and then seats are filled with 99 first then 98 so on and so forth. So if your child did not get a placement and scored a 99, means all seats are taken with 99% or siblings.

SL461
05-27-2014, 04:12 PM
District placement
99%
District 15
1) Nest
2) BSI
3) Anderson
4) Lower Lab (out of Dist, just for laughs)
5) District PS 32

bedstuymom
05-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Does the district where you live affect your placement for citywide? We live in district 28 and our son got a 99% and was placed at our third choice- ps300.

The DOE says that your district does not affect citywide placement. It is supposed to be a straight lottery starting with 99th percentile.

Jmo36912
05-27-2014, 06:04 PM
District 15
97%
No admission to PS32

A. Wang
05-28-2014, 01:28 AM
TAG! See you in the fall! =)
99%
1. Nest
2. Anderson
3. Lower Lab
4. TAG

parent30
05-28-2014, 06:35 AM
We got our first choice, PS 122 in D30. Very excited!

ParentD30
05-28-2014, 06:46 AM
99%
Q300-First choice for first grade

q300parent
05-28-2014, 07:05 AM
q300 K first choice-very excited for the new citywide-good luck to all

bedstuymom
05-28-2014, 07:21 AM
q300 K first choice-very excited for the new citywide-good luck to all

99%
Q300-First choice for first grade

I started a thread for Q300 so hopefully people can start discussing thoughts and issues.

FHmom
05-28-2014, 07:35 AM
I started a thread for Q300 so hopefully people can start discussing thoughts and issues.

thank you Bedstuymom!

samarap
05-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Hi folks, have been reading all these discussions and good information. I have a question. My kid got the choice to attend G&T program at P.S.018 Winchester (Queens Village). Can someone help me out with the G&T rating and review for this school? Based on regular rankings this school has been going down for a couple of years and my zoned school P.S. 205 (Queens district 26) is so much better in rankings. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated about the G&T at P.S.018 Winchester (Queens Village) vs. my zoned regular school P.S. 205 (Queens district 26). Thanks a lot folks. This will also help me on settling down for a rental choice I have.

MorganBx1138
05-28-2014, 11:34 AM
District 11 Son scored 99% and he is going to Anderson.
District 11 twin Sis scored 96% and she will be in D11 Helen Keller.

A happier ending than not...
Will test again to see if sibling preference can pull one in one direction or another.

A. Wang
05-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone! My daughter was placed in TAG for the fall and I have been having a VERY difficult time finding out more information about the school, i.e. enrichment programs, bus pickup routes, etc (the official school web site is severely lacking in info). After surfing the web until my eyes hurt, I found that the PTA's web site is the place to go: http://www.tagscholarspta.org
Hope this is helpful for others!

lorabt
05-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Hello! Do you know if you can test the twin sister this year for 2014/2015 admission? Or are you planning on testing them for next fall. My older son is at a district G&T, going to second grade. My daughter just made the cut to Anderson. I would love to be able to move my son to Anderson, but did not test him this year. I think I have to wait until next year to see what happens

District 11 Son scored 99% and he is going to Anderson.
District 11 twin Sis scored 96% and she will be in D11 Helen Keller.

A happier ending than not...
Will test again to see if sibling preference can pull one in one direction or another.

nycparent
05-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Congrats to Anderson. I heard they have a very long waiting list for siblings.
I think your son will have to test next winter.
When he goes into 3rd grade, they use State test scores and no more DOE g&t test.

Drool6
05-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi folks, have been reading all these discussions and good information. I have a question. My kid got the choice to attend G&T program at P.S.018 Winchester (Queens Village). Can someone help me out with the G&T rating and review for this school? Based on regular rankings this school has been going down for a couple of years and my zoned school P.S. 205 (Queens district 26) is so much better in rankings. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated about the G&T at P.S.018 Winchester (Queens Village) vs. my zoned regular school P.S. 205 (Queens district 26). Thanks a lot folks. This will also help me on settling down for a rental choice I have.

When I toured PS 18, they seemed really overcrowded. They had to give up their newly renovated library because they ran out of classroom space. Personally, if I had a choice between an overcrowded, max capacity school or a good local Zoned school (like PS 205), I would choose P.S. 205.

samarap
05-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Drool6 .. Thanks a lot for your comments. It makes sense and I just don't the get the feeling for PS18 with their scores, given that it is an average of G&T kids and GenEd kids.

So can you (or someone) please confirm that the G&T kids and GenEd kids take the same tests at the end of their 3rd, 4th and 5th Grades. And if so then a G&T school having low grades will not be my choice. Thanks again to all.

Drool6
05-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi Drool6 .. Thanks a lot for your comments. It makes sense and I just don't the get the feeling for PS18 with their scores, given that it is an average of G&T kids and GenEd kids.

So can you (or someone) please confirm that the G&T kids and GenEd kids take the same tests at the end of their 3rd, 4th and 5th Grades. And if so then a G&T school having low grades will not be my choice. Thanks again to all.

No Problem. From the open house at another G&T in District 26 I toured (PS115), they mentioned that ratings were based on the whole school test results. The tests should all be the same. I'd be surprised if it was any different.

kokoa718
09-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know of any prep programs for NYC G&T?

jakchun
09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
not a program but we used workbooks from here that worked out pretty well for us last year.

http://www.prepstrong.com/collections/olsat/level-a-prek-k
http://www.prepstrong.com/collections/nnat2/level-a-prek-k