PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Private Schools & Financial Aid

alena
11-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Hello,
We plan to move to NYC from Canada next summer. Our 6 years old is now in grade 1 in a very good private school. I started researching different options for his education in NYC and now I am in a state of a panic as everything seems extremely competitive and stressful.
It seems that it is nearly impossible to get a spot in a g&t program if you are not applying for kindergarten even with 99 percentile.
And we won't be able to afford a private education in NY as it is 3-4 times as expensive than here.
And reading through some of the threads it seems like there is a crazy competition for spots in private schools too. But let's say we try to go a private school route with the hope of a some sort of financial assistance. Where do we start? Should we first ask schools if they are willing to provide aid? Or should we pass the test that everybody is talking about on this forum (ERB) and then talk with schools about our financial situation? I have no idea where to begin... Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

jspencernyc5
11-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi Alena - welcome to the city! I know the school situation may be stressful but it has its way of working out. As far as applying to private schools, I wouldn't necessarily ask straight up whether schools are willing to provide aid. When you're entering at a grade level that's not kindergarten, there are so few spots to begin with. However, I would go though the financial aid process still and let that work itself out should your dc get accepted somewhere.

As far as public schools, it is hard to get a g&t program if you are not applying at the kindergarten level but you're likely to have more luck with district g&t programs than citywides. Also, there are good zoned schools too depending on which neighborhood you choose to move to.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck!!

alena
11-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Thank you for your encouraging words, jspencernyc5! We are leaning to a regular public school option for now, for us it is probably going to be either PS40 or PS41. It is just that I hear from so many people that public schools system in NYC is terrible... but doing my own research it seems that there are pretty good public schools out there.

ManhattanMom24
12-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi Alena! My daughter is in fifth grade at PS41 and we LOVE it!!! Our son was also there and went on to a great public middle school; they prepared him really well providing a happy, supportive and relaxing atmosphere with not too much homework :-) We have been very happy there! You just need to move into the right area so that you are in the catchment area.... Good luck with your move.

alena
01-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Hi Alena! My daughter is in fifth grade at PS41 and we LOVE it!!! Our son was also there and went on to a great public middle school; they prepared him really well providing a happy, supportive and relaxing atmosphere with not too much homework :-) We have been very happy there! You just need to move into the right area so that you are in the catchment area.... Good luck with your move.

Thank you, ManhattanMom24! We would prefer and be very happy to be in the PS41 catchment area, but most likely it will be PS40. It seems like it is not far behind from PS41 academically and has good ratings from parents. Another option I'm looking at is Success Academy Union Square, not much information about this one, and I don't like 9 hours school days, still thinking.

mommy
04-10-2014, 07:21 PM
If you can, move to the PS41 zone. It's one of the best elementary schools in NYC. Great academics, facilities and atmosphere.
Good luck!

lorabt
04-11-2014, 02:19 PM
I agree. Spend your money on living in a good area and go to the zoned school.

xiaofangniu
04-19-2014, 04:57 AM
My daughter is 98%, no brothers and sisters, can apply citywide gifted school? thank you .

lorabt
04-19-2014, 05:56 AM
My daughter is 98%, no brothers and sisters, can apply citywide gifted school? thank you .

Sure, she can apply, but there is no chance of getting in. Try district

Ashley.Rodriguez
04-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Hi Alena! Have you considered Catholic schools? I am the Catholic elementary school representative in Manhattan. Catholic elementary schools in the Archdiocese of New York provide a safe, nurturing, structured learning environment, and the tuition at our schools is very affordable. Many of our schools also offer scholarships, which are distributed on a first-come-first-serve basis. We have over 30 schools spanning from the East Village, to Chelsea, to the UWS and UES, to Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood. I would love to help in anyway I can, so please feel free to email me at ashley.rodriguez@archny.org or give me a call at 646-794-2563. Thank you so much! :)