PDA

View Full Version : All NYC G&T in a B/C school vs Gen Ed in A school

Eunice
04-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Any thoughts on comparison between G&T class in a B/C school vs. Gen Ed class in A school?

bedstuymom
04-10-2014, 10:25 AM
That's a tough one. We lost out on a citywide spot for K last year, and got into the most popular G&T in our district in Brooklyn. I visited and I just wasn't feeling it. I made the decision to go for a gen ed spot in a relatively new elementary school because I was very impressed by the principal, who had hand-selected the teachers. The parents seemed great and very involved. In the middle of the summer we did a lottery and got a space in a new charter, which is where we ended up. My inclination would be to go for the gen ed spot in the A school.

Vichka32
04-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Agree with bedstuymom. this is tough choice. my son scored in the 99thpercentile and we didn't get into any citywide program, we did get a districtG&T class but I wasn't impressed with the teacher. We instead opted for avery good school with an enrichment class. kids who get into enrichment classalso score in 98-99 percentiles. I am happy with my decision. I think districtG&Ts vary between schools because there is no set curriculum and it allseems to depend on a teacher. I would say ask definitely talk to parents whoattend that G&T class and go meet with the teacher and principal. Goodluck.

alena
05-07-2015, 01:14 AM
Could someone explain what are enrichment classes and how to find a school with such a class? Simple google search is not returning anything.

VictoriaMir
05-08-2015, 02:05 PM
you need to visit a school to learn if they have an enrichment class. you can also call their office. in our school for example, kids who scored high on G&T test were considered to be in the enrichment class. Its not advertised anywhere that the school has this class but inside the school itself.

alena
05-08-2015, 09:04 PM
you need to visit a school to learn if they have an enrichment class. you can also call their office. in our school for example, kids who scored high on G&T test were considered to be in the enrichment class. Its not advertised anywhere that the school has this class but inside the school itself.

Thank you, VictoriaMir!