PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Private School Teacher Qualifications

Forest_Hills_Daddy
01-18-2015, 04:34 PM
My kid currently attends a private school in NYC but now I need to do some longer-term planning. Would anybody know of private schools in the NYC area (ie, NYC, Nassau, adjacent NJ, Westchester) where middle and high school teachers have actually have bachelors and/or masters degrees in the subjects they are teaching? For example, schools that have people with MS Physics degrees teaching physics, ditto for calculus (math), chemistry, bio etc.

I'm not getting a lot of information in the school websites. Most list the teachers' degrees but not the fields that they focused on.

Thank you.

MomInAstoria
09-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Did you realize that public high school teachers in NY must have masters? Why would you discount such an excellent school system?

Forest_Hills_Daddy
09-05-2015, 04:08 AM
Did you realize that public high school teachers in NY must have masters? Why would you discount such an excellent school system?

I might move to a suburb (Westchester, LI, NJ etc.) that does not have an excellent public school system, albeit with lower housing prices/rentals and great location for commute to Manhattan.

MomInAstoria
09-06-2015, 01:08 PM
You've got me there. I should consider part of the rent I pay (obvs I'm in Queens too per my username) as tuition... still, when it works, it works. My kids got into excellent (free!) schools in LIC (middle) and a specialized high school. We don't even pay book rental fees here, as we did in Illinois. I am paying for a private bus to spare my freshman son the 75 minute subway commute to his HS in the Bronx, but his dad splits that with me so it's not so bad.

Just watch out for charters. They're custom designed to circumvent the rules. Teachers may vary widely in quality.

Forest_Hills_Daddy
09-08-2015, 06:01 PM
/\/\

I don't live in Queens anymore. I rent in Westchester. Most likely I will stay where I'm renting or move to another suburb, but would like to shorten my kid's commute from the 45 mins now.

Forest_Hills_Daddy
09-08-2015, 06:04 PM
/\/\

I don't live in Queens anymore. I rent in Westchester. Most likely I will stay where I'm renting or move to another suburb, but would like to shorten my kid's commute from the 45 mins now.