PDA

View Full Version : BK-Other Q300 questions

Amellia25
04-20-2016, 05:08 PM
My daughter was accepted into Q300 middle school for 2016-2017. She scored in the 99th percentile on the G&T. She took the exam for Mark Twain but was so disappointed when she did not get in. I am happy that she was accepted at Q300 and after some time she is now excited about it and the great opportunity. We live in Canarsie Brooklyn and I am becoming anxious about the commute. Her dad thinks the commute is not worth the experience but I disagree. I understand that there is no transportation so carpooling or hiring a private bus are our only options. Anyone else commuting from Brooklyn how long is the travel time? What's the cost on getting a private bus? Any ideas, or information or reassurance would be helpful thanks

pm3292003
04-21-2016, 07:46 PM
There is one family commuting in through private bus from Ozone park. If you have any additional questions, you can email q300privatebus@gmail.com.

d30parent
05-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Sorry I only just now saw this. I'd express a certain level of caution in commuting all the way from Canarsie. Looks like it's a 45 minute drive each way - and that's without traffic, accidents, weather, etc. That seems like a lot. Q300 is a wonderful school - my daughter is in 6th grade there and we couldn't be happier. But I don't know that ANY school is worth a 45-minute each way drive (would be longer with private bus etc.) is worth it. It truly depends on what your other options are - what your local school is - and how you feel about your child (and perhaps you if you drive) commuting an hour and a half or more each day. We commute about 20-30 minutes each way - and that alone sometimes feels like a lot, though I do indeed feel like it's worth it. I'm not sure I'd feel that way about a commuting time double that. But Q300 is an amazing school. If you're not committed to stay where you are, and you really want the Q300 experience, I would start and see how it goes - and be prepared to potentially move to Queens or at least to western Brooklyn to make it easier on yourself. Just a few thoughts... Good luck!

Queens_Parent
05-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Hi,
Is it true that Q300 has a new principal? When we visited the school, our overall impression was favorable even though the school appeared extremely progressive.
Thanks.

d30parent
05-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Q300's principal will be leaving at the end of this school year for personal reasons. The school is getting a new principal - who is meeting parents tonight, actually and has come very highly regarded. I don't think much will change - since the school's philosophy, etc. remains the same. The school is indeed progressive - that's an aspect of it we love.

Queens_Parent
05-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Thank you for responding. Time will tell how much the school's philosophy will change, but the new principal will most likely bring in new ideas and a new philosophy. There are some progressive aspects I like, but for instance I'm not really in favor of students addressing their teachers by first name. Please post again after the meeting. We ranked the school 3rd, so there is a possibility DC will end up there.

d30parent
05-19-2016, 04:15 PM
Sorry - I can't be at the meeting so can't post about it. I actually think the new principal is on board with the school's overall perspective so I don't think much will change regarding the core values and philosophy. Personally, I LOVE that the students call their teachers by first name. Good luck!

D25Mommy
05-19-2016, 06:41 PM
WHAT?! We listed the school 1st choice partly because we got such a favorable impression of the principal. This change is really disconcerting. Any other parents that can chime in with their thoughts?

pm3292003
05-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Everything is going to be okay!

Q300 had a well attended PTA meeting where Matt - Q300's Principal announced that he is going to leave after transitioning to the new IA Principal - Bill Biniaris after the summer. (Matt sent out a note to all parents earlier in the week) Both Matt and Bill answered questions from the parents that were in attendance. Matt expressed his confidence that there are great pillars of the school that will continue to uphold the values that make Q300 great. It was reassuring to hear that Bill was committed to the same vision. This session was recorded, and they're hoping to provide a transcript to current parents who weren't able to attend. The PTA has been communicating with the Q300 families about this transition. It's hard for many of us to image Q300 without Matt. Two years ago, at Q300's open house, it was just Matt. We were all inspired by his vision, and we signed up for a school different from the others. We've grown as a school, with the teachers, PTA, and SLT actively engaged in helping to preserve the vision we all have for Q300. We'll continue to grow. Q300 PTA holds a welcome breakfast for incoming K families, and they’re hoping to keep that tradition to help answer any questions new families may have.

InwoodParent
05-21-2016, 07:25 AM
I love how communicative Q300 is. We ranked it second because of proximity, but everything about it sounds so consistently great, even handling a rough situation like this. I keep wondering if we ought to have put it first, and just committed ourselves to moving if we had to.

Queens_Parent
05-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Thank you for posting. We toured all the citywides, and Matt was the friendliest, most personable principal by a mile. We wish him all the best.

Qwertypo
05-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Has the school decided what the new start time and end time is? at the tour they mentioned that it may shift to an 8am start time?

Hvt2106
06-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Anyone offered Q300 and are excited to consider it for K? Anyone disappointed and are considering not accepting the offer? Any updates on next year's start and end time for the elementary school? How are people commuting to Q300 from Manhattan and other parts of Queens?

D25Mommy
06-01-2016, 09:55 AM
We are super excited to be accepting our K offer! The school was our 1st choice and was the only citywide we listed. We will be commuting from Northeast Queens (on the Grand Central). The commute is a bit of a hassle but well worth it. I still can't believe our luck!

pm3292003
06-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Has the school decided what the new start time and end time is? at the tour they mentioned that it may shift to an 8am start time?

The start time for the Elementary school is 8:10. I believe the dismissal will be 3:30. I'll get confirmation today, and will update this post if there is a change.

HappyNYCMom
06-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Is it definitely 8:10am? I had heard it was moving to 8:40am, which would be much better!!

Flushingmom
05-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Hi, My son was accepted into the incoming 6th grade class. We live in North Flushing (close to Bayside) and I am a little concerned about the commute. Would anyone be able to give me an idea as to whether the private bus service is expected to continue for Northeast Queens and about how long the commute is? I sent an email to the address posted on the school website for bus questions, but haven't received a response yet.

pm3292003
05-08-2017, 05:03 AM
Relaying from our Private Bus Coordinators. The Private Bus at Q300 is coordinated by parent volunteers, outside of the PTA. There is a Middle School Open House this weekend where you can find more information: https://www.q300pta.net/2017/04/24/2017-q300-information-sessions/

Please be advised of the following:
Yes, the bus is expected to continue for northeast queens for middle school. The commute is roughly a little under an hour - students are getting on roughly around 7:35 to 7:45AM in North Flushing and arriving at school around 8:30. This allows for time to deal with traffic and time for breakfast at school. School starts at 8:50 this year. Please note that the schedule will change as the more students may be added to the route next year.
Hope this answers the question.
Shirley
Q300 MS bus coordinator