PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Anderson

InwoodParent
04-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Is there anyone on this board who is (or was) an Anderson parent? I went on the tour tonight and found it extremely peculiar. No kids, only one teacher, 2 parent coordinator-type admins, and one AP who left after he and the other admins did an hour long presentation in the auditorium. A parent's question about diversity was handled so badly, it made me cringe. The presentation seemed to emphasize reasons why we shouldn't consider applying (prepped for test, live too far away so kid will be late, etc.) The student work was great. But the administration seemed awful, and I worry about the tone-deafness of an administration that doesn't particularly care about giving parents a useful touring experience. Will that same lack of concern carry through once a kid gets in? Honestly, I was assuming I was just going to put it down first, like everyone else, but now I don't even know what to do. Maybe the fact that the schoolwork was so good is all that matters?

brooklynmother
04-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Did you also post the same comment on UrbanBaby? I saw the post and all of the responses. I was also at the TH night tour. I really liked the school and it didn't even occur to me that the principal should be there. I am curious to know why the administration matters so much? The teachers and the high quality of the students really seem to drive the experience, right?

tifany
04-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Same on Tuesday, but the way I see it, there are about 300 Kinder 99s in Manhattan alone virtually all of whom will include Anderson on their pref list. That is not to mention the other 600 99s, a number of whom will also add Anderson. So they are going to fill their class with 99s. The only incentive for the principal beyond that is to try to get more people from wealthy areas of the city (because they are more likely to donate) than people from other areas. So if Queens, Brooklyn and Bronx families (not to say there are not some wealthy areas there) pref Q300 or BSI or district programs over Anderson, on average, that is a win for the principal. (and probably a win for the kids as well because long commutes are a serious negative for Kinder and 1st graders)

ncgtqn
04-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Any parents commute from queens to Anderson school? How long will it take? Seems LIRR and subway is the only option.

InwoodParent
04-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Did you also post the same comment on UrbanBaby? I saw the post and all of the responses. I was also at the TH night tour. I really liked the school and it didn't even occur to me that the principal should be there. I am curious to know why the administration matters so much? The teachers and the high quality of the students really seem to drive the experience, right?

I posted in that thread. I was the one who mentioned that since my daughter has a medical 504, so for us, ease of dealing with the administration definitely is a factor. My husband also made a good point that the tone of the principal/administration really sets the tone for the school, not to mention that they hire and direct the teachers, who matter greatly. That's what I was getting at in the post here. We also didn't meet the Anderson teachers--there was only one there--so we didn't get a sense about the teachers. And since it's a random lottery, I don't know that the students are any more "high quality" than at the other G&Ts.

When I thought about the student work a little more, I realized that what impressed me most were a few standouts, but that probably speaks mostly to Anderson's ability to individuate the learning experience. Which is a very good thing, but they probably don't bear direct responsibility for the advanced level of those particular kids. I think it is more likely that they are meeting those kids where they are.

The fact that the principal didn't care to show up, and that there was only one teacher attending were problematic for us. It's nice to feel as if the administration and teachers are committed to their school and want to share their thoughts about it, and we didn't get that at Anderson. It does obviously have the best reputation, but I wonder if that's just because it's been around the longest and has the most name recognition? Or maybe there is something special/different about it compared to the other G&Ts, but it just isn't apparent in an afterschool tour?

InwoodParent
04-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Same on Tuesday, but the way I see it, there are about 300 Kinder 99s in Manhattan alone virtually all of whom will include Anderson on their pref list. That is not to mention the other 600 99s, a number of whom will also add Anderson. So they are going to fill their class with 99s. The only incentive for the principal beyond that is to try to get more people from wealthy areas of the city (because they are more likely to donate) than people from other areas. So if Queens, Brooklyn and Bronx families (not to say there are not some wealthy areas there) pref Q300 or BSI or district programs over Anderson, on average, that is a win for the principal. (and probably a win for the kids as well because long commutes are a serious negative for Kinder and 1st graders)

Oh, man...this process is so rife with cynicism, isn't it? Anyway, the way I see it, all the schools fill with 99s, so I assume they all start with the same level of students. I assume parents can figure out what distances make sense for their families--for some, it might be a quick stop on the way to work, even if they commute from far away. Who knows.

gtmom
04-27-2016, 10:04 PM
I went to the Anderson open house. I was impressive by the student works. The academic level is high. I spoke to a few PTA parents and I'm very impressed. It is so good that I'm contemplating my choice even commute is not easy.

tifany
04-28-2016, 09:02 AM
I went to the Anderson open house. I was impressive by the student works. The academic level is high. I spoke to a few PTA parents and I'm very impressed. It is so good that I'm contemplating my choice even commute is not easy.

I agree, though it seemed the Kindergarten writing samples were better at NEST, at least in terms of spelling, capitalization and punctuation. Looked like Anderson was more about expressing thoughts than accuracy in writing. Not sure which paradigm produces better writers in the long run, but seemed like a distinct difference.

Hvt2106
04-28-2016, 10:19 AM
What are people's thoughts on the pluses and minuses of the following schools in terms of academic rigor, enrichment, facility, peer group, teacher quality, etc.. I did not have a chance to attend the PACE citywideschools meeting last Wed.

TAG
Anderson
NEST
Q300

Are Anderson, TAG, and NEST worth the commute hassle if Q300 is closer?

Thank you.