PDA

View Full Version : All NYC What books are you using for the state exam?

lindsey
12-22-2016, 10:45 AM
I have a 4th grader and I really need him to do well on the state exam. Last year he did not perform so well, so I am looking at different resources to get him up to grade level but more so, above his grade level.

I bought a few prep books. Carson Dellosa Common Core book sucks! The questions are so easy, it is nothing compared to my sons classwork. The only good workbook that we completed so far is the Common Core Math Workbook, Grade 4: Multiple Choice, Everyday Practice by Argo Brothers which was very helpful and my son really benefitted from it.

We also completed sample exams released but I still would like more resources. Any tips or recommendations?

Jayvy
01-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Starting 2017, the NY state test will no longer be administered by Pearson, but by a Minnesota based company called Questar Assessment. The following link gives you a sample test - just choose the grade and subject:https://ny-practice.nextera.questarai.com/tds/#practice

In addition to the Common core Multiple choice by Argo brothers, you could also try their "Common Core Math Workbook, Grade 4: Free Response, Daily Math Practice Grade 4" by Argo Brothers and
Common Core Practice - 4th Grade English Language Arts: Workbooks to Prepare for the PARCC or Smarter Balanced Test: CCSS Aligned (CCSS Standards Practice) (Volume 3)
Barrons could be your third choice - let me know if you use Barrons and if you think it is good.

lindsey
05-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Starting 2017, the NY state test will no longer be administered by Pearson, but by a Minnesota based company called Questar Assessment. The following link gives you a sample test - just choose the grade and subject:https://ny-practice.nextera.questarai.com/tds/#practice

In addition to the Common core Multiple choice by Argo brothers, you could also try their "Common Core Math Workbook, Grade 4: Free Response, Daily Math Practice Grade 4" by Argo Brothers and
Common Core Practice - 4th Grade English Language Arts: Workbooks to Prepare for the PARCC or Smarter Balanced Test: CCSS Aligned (CCSS Standards Practice) (Volume 3)
Barrons could be your third choice - let me know if you use Barrons and if you think it is good.

Thanks Jayvy! Sorry for the insanely delayed reply, I am looking for insight into G&T and logged back on this forum today. Yeah, we have both workbooks along with the Grade 5 and 6 workbooks by Argo Brothers now. Really good workbooks.

I haven't checked out Barron's for elementary prep, they don't look too popular online but I'll give it a go and let you know.