PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Shsat 2017 cutoffs

tindo
02-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Who got their acceptance letter. I wonder what is the cutoff for this year. Anyone knew ?

James
02-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Rumor is March 1 is the notification date. Your child will get a letter to take home from school.

blondie
02-14-2017, 04:59 AM
I think the high school admissions list and the SHSAT scores are reported on Fridays. Then the students have a very upsetting dismissal that day. Even if they did get their choices their friends may not.

Tatyana
02-16-2017, 08:56 AM
So when will the board of ed release these results already

Starry Night
02-16-2017, 08:58 AM
It is rumored to come out on March 1st. However, it won't be a suprise if they release it a bit later.

grace2003
02-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Rumor also has March 3rd or March 9th.
I think that March 3rd is the likely date because results typically are sent home on Friday.

Tatyana
02-28-2017, 06:26 AM
So i just called doe, they said results are not in the system as of yet. They said that most likely by the end of the week. I asked if i can get these results by phone? They said yes as soon as they have them. They can also email you the acceptance letter.

Shiymchast
02-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Hi Tatyana, I have a question. So will the results be able to be given to the students by March 3 or do we have to wait longer?

gilmoregirl713
02-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Hopefully it's on friday or better yet tomorrow, super anxious ;-/

Shiymchast
02-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Me too. Im anxious as well. I hope it's coming out tomorrow.

gilmoregirl713
02-28-2017, 06:22 PM
it's harder for me, I'm a ninth grader and I currently attend forest hills high school but I really want in to laguardia or bard or bronx sci

Moonlight
02-28-2017, 08:21 PM
I am a ninth grader as well and I am freaking out from thinking about the cutoff score. I heard it's significantly higher. Hoping for Stuy.

Schoolboard user
03-01-2017, 04:29 AM
Do you know if we recieve it on march 1 or they send it march 1

phonetutor
03-01-2017, 05:00 AM
Who did you call? What's the number?

gilmoregirl713
03-01-2017, 05:21 AM
I am a ninth grader as well and I am freaking out from thinking about the cutoff score. I heard it's significantly higher. Hoping for Stuy. That's good!! I really hope they end our misery. I'm currently at home sick ;( but if it does come out today or when you find out, update me!! what else did you apply to? I wish you all the best <3

gilmoregirl713
03-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Who did you call? What's the number?

(718) 935-2399 I tried calling yesterday, but it was a bit late so no one picked up.

Moonlight
03-01-2017, 01:21 PM
That's good!! I really hope they end our misery. I'm currently at home sick ;( but if it does come out today or when you find out, update me!! what else did you apply to? I wish you all the best <3

Thanks. Good luck to you too. I also applied for Bard for the first time. I can't sleep at night from all the stress, all I am thinking about is the result. I have a slew of friends who took the test and they said it will come out on Friday. Did you call the DOE? Did you take any prep classes?

phonetutor
03-01-2017, 03:12 PM
I'm more anxious than my son who took the test. We put Bronx Science, but now I've decided to send him to military school.

gilmoregirl713
03-01-2017, 05:41 PM
I called the DOE high school line at about 5:00 pm and they asked me for my OSIS number and my name, I asked about when the results would be available and he told me that they were not out yet and that they should be available on a Friday or a Monday. This gives us a few possible dates, 3/3 3/6 3/10 and 3/13. The second round fairs are on the weekend of 3/18-19. It has been rumored at my junior high school (I'm currently a freshman), that the results may come out on the 13th. The wait is agonizing but it will be over soon and who knows they may come out earlier. Good Luck☺️

uwsboy
03-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Hi Moonlight. where did you hear it is significantly higher?
thank you.

uwsboy
03-01-2017, 06:33 PM
wow. that is really different than the march 1st i have heard. i did not expect to feel so sick but I am feeling sick as my son only wants one school while I have been pushing how great the others are and they are... just too far.

Moonlight
03-01-2017, 06:46 PM
I went Khan's Tutorial for 2 months and many of the instructor told me the score would be higher for 9th grader as there is not a lot of sit available (the tutorial discussed and ranked my choices for me based on my score).I was told that a 8th grader can get 500 and get into Brooklyn Tech while a 9th grader has to get about 530 or so to get in. The test was not as hard as people told me it would be but there were some high school geometry and basic trig.

phonetutor
03-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Results will be given on 3/7..along with the round 1 results that's Wednesday

gilmoregirl713
03-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Results will be given on 3/7..along with the round 1 results that's Wednesday

The 7th is a Tuesday though it should be the 8th

jbrooklyn
03-02-2017, 07:56 PM
It will be March 8.

uwsboy
03-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Where do you gals (or men) see this date posted? Yes, our principal told us March 8th too but she changed her story from another time. Is this posted on line? A DOE web page? Thanks. This whole process must be changed as 4 months is enough to make people sick.

Nisren
03-03-2017, 08:07 AM
I just called the number gilmoregirl posted and the rep stated that results should be next week...

phonetutor
03-03-2017, 08:34 AM
My mistake...it's the 8th

phonetutor
03-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Seems like we are more anxious than our kids. My son is just fine.

Nisren
03-03-2017, 08:40 AM
yes! Butterflies and all...

NYParent
03-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Seems like we are more anxious than our kids. My son is just fine.

Good job!
I've been trying to keep my kid calm and having him focus on the fact that the timing is out of his control, but some of his friends are quite anxious.
I fault the DOE for not giving them a date back in the fall so they could circle it and get ready rather than having to wonder...and fret.

uwsboy
03-03-2017, 12:51 PM
I agree. I fault the DOE. They should have given everyone a firm date so that the kids know when they will find out with whom they will be continuing and with whom they will be saying, to some extent, goodbye. This transition is serious and delicate and to have an open ended, forever changing result date is non right. I do not like it. Here is update on our end. Friend called the DOE (I have that number in my email) and they told her, "We release them to guidance counselors on March 8th and 24 hours later, we can release them to you if you call in." What I do not know is what does it mean to "release them." On email? Drop them off (I doubt it).

gilmoregirl713
03-03-2017, 01:23 PM
I agree. I fault the DOE. They should have given everyone a firm date so that the kids know when they will find out with whom they will be continuing and with whom they will be saying, to some extent, goodbye. This transition is serious and delicate and to have an open ended, forever changing result date is non right. I do not like it. Here is update on our end. Friend called the DOE (I have that number in my email) and they told her, "We release them to guidance counselors on March 8th and 24 hours later, we can release them to you if you call in." What I do not know is what does it mean to "release them." On email? Drop them off (I doubt it).
I was informed they will be coming out on the 8th :)

uwsboy
03-03-2017, 01:42 PM
what does "coming out," mean? arriving to guidance counselor to give to students?

gilmoregirl713
03-03-2017, 02:19 PM
what does "coming out," mean? arriving to guidance counselor to give to students?

Yes, that is what I was told. Although it may be a little different considering I'm already a freshman.

uwsboy
03-03-2017, 02:27 PM
okay so that means they would , most likely, put them in the mail after and it could be 2-3 days before they arrive in our personal mail boxes.

gilmoregirl713
03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
okay so that means they would , most likely, put them in the mail after and it could be 2-3 days before they arrive in our personal mail boxes.
Last year, it was given to me directly in PM homeroom. But now, I just go to my counselor and get it there.

uwsboy
03-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Thank you Gilmore Girl.
My son's school that giving directly caused too many tears and stress at school. Did that happen at your school?

gilmoregirl713
03-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Thank you Gilmore Girl.
My son's school that giving directly caused too many tears and stress at school. Did that happen at your school?

We were all stressed and lots of the tears sadly came after the results came out. But I wish the best of luck to your son! :)

katykat
03-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Thank you Gilmore Girl.

I wish good luck to your son and everyone who took it (@gilmoregirl713). I really hope I get into my first choice school. I am in 8th Grade by the way.

katykat
03-03-2017, 04:03 PM
We were all stressed and lots of the tears sadly came after the results came out. But I wish the best of luck to your son! :)

Good luck to you!!

SecondTimer
03-04-2017, 07:23 AM
I hope we don't experience what we did last year and you get into what you want this year (no one deserves to go to a HS they didn't want!)!:D!

gilmoregirl713
03-04-2017, 07:33 AM
I hope we don't experience what we did last year and you get into what you want this year (no one deserves to go to a HS they didn't want!)!:D!

Same to you :) where do you wanna go??

uwsboy
03-04-2017, 07:39 AM
my son wants tech stuy or science but really really wants the one next to our home. now i read that they will be delived the 10th at the schools.

SecondTimer
03-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Same to you :) where do you wanna go?? I don't wanna say the school just for privacy reasons but really any school I had listed on any applications. Sorry about that... :/

uwsboy
03-04-2017, 12:15 PM
http://nepc.colorado.edu/files/pb-feinman-nyc-test_final.pdf

This study says there are different versions of the SHSAT. I can't know if they are correct, of course. But the study seems very convincinging and the numbers needed to get in here are or were much higher than I heard.

Moonlight
03-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Anyone know how many seats are available for 9th graders?

uwsboy
03-04-2017, 04:13 PM
i do not know but the article I posted had a number for way back then, 10 years ago. I wish I . knew!

gilmoregirl713
03-04-2017, 05:10 PM
i do not know but the article I posted had a number for way back then, 10 years ago. I wish I . knew!
10 seats

Moonlight
03-04-2017, 05:41 PM
10 seats

10?! That's like saying no seats! Oh I just read an article that says "The Department of Education (DOE) has not released the breakdown among 9th-graders who took the SHSAT, but overall, according to a DOE spokesperson, 183 or 13 percent of the 1,442 who took the SHSAT earned a seat at one of the eight testing schools. Thirty-seven 9th-graders were admitted to at least one studio at LaGuardia." This is from 2016. But there is tough competition since a lot of kids that are already in a specialized are taking it too.

uwsboy
03-04-2017, 07:56 PM
where are poeple reading these updates? I can't find them. I t hink our school will know 8th and then email us the 8th. that is my thought. but maybe email us the 10th

gilmoregirl713
03-04-2017, 08:11 PM
10?! That's like saying no seats! Oh I just read an article that says "The Department of Education (DOE) has not released the breakdown among 9th-graders who took the SHSAT, but overall, according to a DOE spokesperson, 183 or 13 percent of the 1,442 who took the SHSAT earned a seat at one of the eight testing schools. Thirty-seven 9th-graders were admitted to at least one studio at LaGuardia." This is from 2016. But there is tough competition since a lot of kids that are already in a specialized are taking it too.

I took it off of this years high school directory, my friend who reapplied as well for other schools was doubting our admission but all I said was that someone has to get in after all.

Moonlight
03-04-2017, 08:34 PM
I took it off of this years high school directory, my friend who reapplied as well for other schools was doubting our admission but all I said was that someone has to get in after all.

It's very scary that we might score high enough but not get in because of seat availability. I don't why some kids take it and get in, then for some reason don't attend. It's just takes away someone else's chance who wants it so badly.

uwsboy
03-05-2017, 08:09 AM
this is making me sick

phonetutor
03-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Don't worry....believe. I wish you the best!

phonetutor
03-05-2017, 08:38 AM
I believe they release the scores in March so that 8th graders don't just, more or less, quit their efforts at school. If they know early, some may not do any work in 8th grade.

NYC Parent
03-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Hang in there, everyone. The results already have been compiled. Yes, the wait is torture. For us (and for many of you), there's only one school we care about, only one that feels like the "perfect fit." But I know that, no matter what happens, our kid will still enjoy high school, go on to college, and have a fine life. Now, back to the nausea...

uwsboy
03-05-2017, 08:45 AM
we have the same perfect school as you. so worried! (for us, it is location, almost next door) and it is for other reasons. so i am right there with you

NYParent
03-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Hang in there, everyone. The results already have been compiled. Yes, the wait is torture. For us (and for many of you), there's only one school we care about, only one that feels like the "perfect fit." But I know that, no matter what happens, our kid will still enjoy high school, go on to college, and have a fine life. Now, back to the nausea...

We seem to have chosen similar screen names, but that is something that I indeed would have written myself. As parents, we need to be adults and help our kids manage the anxiety. Good luck to you and your family!

NYParent
03-05-2017, 10:05 AM
It's very scary that we might score high enough but not get in because of seat availability. I don't why some kids take it and get in, then for some reason don't attend. It's just takes away someone else's chance who wants it so badly.

First of all, I hope that this works out as you hope it does. I know this is an anxious time for students, as it is for my son. I've advised him to understand that, after he finished his diligent Prep work and actually took the test, everything else was 100% out of his control and to use the process and its attendant anxieties as a learning experience for the many things in his life that he will not be able to control.

Regarding the decisions of some students to decline their acceptance to a SHS, there are many, excellent and highly competitive non-Specialized Public High Schools across the city. Many students actually prefer attending one of them over a SHS for many reasons, ranging from geographic proximity to the size of the school. These are schools which, like several of the SHS's, regularly send graduates to Ivy League Colleges. In addition, many kids who qualify for a SHS also have the option of attending an Independent or Religious-based HS. All of these students must wait until they have all the necessary information to make a decision.

It is my understanding that the SHS's allow, based on their experience, for a certain percentage of the students who make their cutoff to decline their offer and actually make more offers than they can accommodate. Therefore, no one is being deprived of their "chance" to attend a SHS.

Again, best of luck to you.

NYC Parent
03-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Ha. Thanks, NY Parent. (I see that I chose my screen name much more recently, but I can't change it to "Not-Quite-as-Knowledgeable NY Parent," so we're stuck with this arrangement. :) ) As for helping our kids, the hardest thing -- at least from my perspective -- is not letting them see and, consequently, feel our anxieties. But we (I) need to do that hard thing as best as we (I) can. Those of us who have principals/guidance counselors with a modicum of humanity will only need to tough it out for three more days. Best of luck to you and your family, too, NY Parent. I can see that you've done everything you can to help your current 8th-grader, and that will mean so much more to your child in the long run than anything he or she will hear this week. Here's hoping for great news, though!

uwsboy
03-05-2017, 10:14 AM
So they over book/over accept students like the airlines.. The article by the PHd who interviewed the DOE for what looks like a Phd thesis on the SHSAT shows how different the versions are. wow.

uwsboy
03-05-2017, 10:18 AM
oh we have perfect school like ny not nyc parents.... sorry close names. this is freaking me out. i think we know wednesday as our school is emailing them. we are very close to one and 1.5 hours each way to son's second and third choice. i just can't handle that. and he told me no to moving as does not want to lose his middle school friends. so that is our issue more than which school... the long long commute will not work as unlike many of his friends, he is very involved in a daily after school acticitiy (not at the school) and he just can not do it and commute 1.5 hours each way.

uwsboy
03-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Good point. I do not show my son my anxiety and in fact speak up his second and third choices even though I am terrified.

Moonlight
03-05-2017, 03:41 PM
I understand... and as always your posts decreases my stress a bit. Thank you. I am being optimistic this time, waiting to see what comes next. Good luck to your son! @NyParent

SecondtimearoundNYCParent
03-06-2017, 02:27 PM
I was reading all of your threads for several days and finally decided to put my own two cents in. Perhaps, it will help some of you with travel-to-school anxiety or decisions once the results arrive. I am going through this process second time around. My daughter, who is almost 21 now graduated from LaGuardia high school in 2014. She also got into Brooklyn Tech but chose Lag over it and never regretted. She felt that artistic atmosphere of LaGuardia was better suited for her. Now, as far a traveling goes, we live on Staten Island, and pretty far into it, Bay Terrace area specifically (look it up on google maps - those of you who aren’t familiar with SI). The travel took somewhere between 1.5 to 2hrs each way, every day. She took SI railroad to ferry, SI Ferry and then the train to Lincoln center and she loved every minute of it! The thing about these selective schools is that kids who enter them are all from all around the city. It turned out that there were close to 20 kids traveling from SI alone in her grade level. They all met up at the ferry terminal and became great friends. All four years they looked forward to traveling together to and from school because it felt like a party time. The vocal talent sang songs, the dance talent danced and drama acted and made jokes and it was like this daily traveling circus. When she graduated with honors and got a full scholarship to college, I asked her, would you recommend the same school for your younger brother, it’s so far, after all? She said without even thinking - "Yes!". She would never have traded her experience with these talented kids in a million years. Besides, she was able to participate in some extracurricular activities, became a chief editor of the Yearbook and worked as a volunteer in community center in Brooklyn in the last two years of High school. So, “where there's a will there's a way”! Seven years later I am anxiously waiting for the results for my son who has been diagnosed with mild autism and ADHD at an early age. He is struggling academically but is a very enthusiastic musician, plying four instruments and participating in 5 bands. However, with his academic challenges besides very coveted LaGuardia and pretty much unattainable Staten Island Tech, which is only two stops away from our house, we set our eyes on other magnet schools, such as Special Music School and Talent Unlimited. Both of those schools are as far from our house as LaGuardia, if not farther, but I believe that the school environment is more important for child’s development then the “hardship” of traveling. So, those of you who worry themselves sick over possibility of your children traveling to distant schools, or losing/changing friends - I wouldn’t. It’s a new life experience, new friends and overall a new adventure.http://www.theschoolboards.com/images/icons/icon12.png

Tatyana
03-07-2017, 05:19 AM
I totally agree with you. My son travela to Twain from si almost two hours each way. Its not easy but for sure posdible and worth it. Good luck to everyone

NYParent
03-07-2017, 06:48 AM
@SecondtimearoundNYCParent

Somehow, reading your post above, I think that your own positive attitude had a lot to do with how your daughter thought about her commute. I tell parents all the time that, more often than not, our children's anxieties reflect our own anxieties. Kids are very perceptive. They pick up signals not so much from what we say, but from how we say it. If a kid has a parent who is obsessed over where their child goes to school and, even more so if that child is surrounded by other kids in similar home environments, then it's hard for them not to share that anxiety.

Congratulations and good luck to your son.

03-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Thank you! and Good Luck to all of you as well! I am sure that one way or the other all of our kids will get the placement in one of their preferred schools or programs, even if it means going through round 2 (which we all dread so much)... and in the long run if they want to succeed in life and with the help of supportive families like yours, they will, no matter where they go to school. I know of a kid who graduated from New Utrecht High School valedictorian and got a full scholarship to NYU. So, like my son loves to say to me when I am nervous or anxious: "hakuna matata, Mama", it's all going to be OK!

03-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Haha, maybe your son and my son know each other since they both in Mark Twain and both in 8th grade...Anyway good luck to you and your son!

grace2003
03-07-2017, 01:10 PM
It's been a nerve-wracking week for everyone. I feel already feel the butterflies in my stomach in anticipation for the results tomorrow. I do hope that everyone makes it to their respective #1 high school choice!

Moonlight
03-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!!! Misery of waiting is almost over.

Wilson
03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
It is rumored to come out on March 1st. However, it won't be a suprise if they release it a bit later.

It's coming out on March 8th. I hope I'm getting to stuy or tech

Marconycr
03-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Got into Brooklyn Tech

Score: 488

ksabra1954
03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Got into Tech with 489.

FallenNyx
03-09-2017, 03:30 AM
Staten Island Tech?

uwsboy
03-09-2017, 11:26 AM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1618658719/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

We used this book for prep but we paid a LOT less for it used. We did not take the Kaplan class but the book is for sale here and there from former students and so we got one that way.

SBarua
03-09-2017, 03:03 PM
I got int to Bronx Science 519

NYParent
03-09-2017, 03:30 PM
My son was admitted to Stuyvesant with a 624.

uwsboy
03-09-2017, 03:36 PM
congrats.

grace2003
03-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Made it to Stuy with 635.

uwsboy
03-11-2017, 01:02 PM
So happy to see you did well.

Lemur_40
03-12-2017, 06:12 AM
Me: 588 Brooklyn Tech
An Acquaintance: 512 Staten Island Tech

grace2003
03-21-2017, 03:10 PM
So happy to see you did well.

Thank you!

Andre
03-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Alright. Has anyone found any mistakes ever? Is it possible there were 2 answers for any of the ELA portion questions? Can you view the answer sheet and the city's answer key? As well as see the actual questions. Better yet has anyone ever received a higher score by finding mistakes in the last few years? Thanks

NYParent
03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Alright. Has anyone found any mistakes ever? Is it possible there were 2 answers for any of the ELA portion questions? Can you view the answer sheet and the city's answer key? As well as see the actual questions. Better yet has anyone ever received a higher score by finding mistakes in the last few years? Thanks

I'll address your questions to the best of my ability:

I don't know if any mistakes have been found.

I think that there are many ELA questions to which there are two "close" correct answers about which one might have a vigorous debate, but I'm virtually certain that there is only one answer that is deemed to be scored as "Correct" for each question (the "Scrambled Paragraphs" are the best examples of this, IMO. The Correct Answers there can seem to be a matter of judgment).

I've never spoken to anyone who actually went through a Review, but fairness dictates that one would be able to compare the Answer Key with the student's Answer Sheet. That would seem to include being able to see the questions themselves as well.

I have no idea whether anyone has had a score changed.

FWIW, here's what I think:

In general, it's in the interests of the DOE to be sure that they administered a fair test that was fairly scored. I'd be very surprised if Pearson (the testing company) doesn't run multiple algorithms to be sure that particular questions did not receive a number of incorrect answers that were statistically disproportionate to an expected profile, thus suggesting that there was something wrong either with the question or the possible answers.

I think they are looking for gross scoring errors. For example, it's possible that they would re-score a test if it could reasonably be argued that a student clearly intended to change an answer, but didn't completely erase the wrong answer, but I think there would be a tough standard applied to determine whether there actually was an attempt to change the answer and not just a veiled attempt to give two answers to one question. Or, if a student clearly intended to mark just one answer but marked the circle too lightly for the computer to read the mark.

I also think that it's possible that a student could get a very low score as a result either of accidentally skipping an answer on the answer sheet or of overlooking a question on the test itself, thus ending up either having no place to put the answer to Question "50" or having to put the answer to Question "50" in Circle "49," with no time left to rewrite the entire test. I imagine they might be open to re-scoring such a test, but don't know.

I doubt very much that they are willing to "debate" which answer was correct on the ELA and I imagine that the Math questions were thoroughly reviewed to be sure there was only one correct answer.

Andre
04-04-2017, 07:54 PM
So let's say you see the answer key and boom! there are 2 correct answers in the key for a question in the ELA. You got one right but it took the kid forever to figure it out because you've never been told to ever expect that 2 can be right and this is NOT an "all of the above" type question. That then slows the kid down suddenly they see they're running out of time and can no longer go back and correct. Now had that not happened they may have gotten more right. When you get closer to 50 the raw numbers get weighted heavier. Is there any recourse?

GotIntoQHSS518
04-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Did you book an appointment? But I think now is too late, as the the last day to book an appointment was April first.
Good luck!

Andre
04-15-2017, 07:31 PM
I had the appointment (that's where I saw the answer sheet.) Now we go for a second appointment because of two things I found.

NYParent
04-16-2017, 06:48 AM
I had the appointment (that's where I saw the answer sheet.) Now we go for a second appointment because of two things I found.

Pls keep us posted. Good luck!

GotIntoQHSS518
04-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Well, good luck!!!!! Did they tell you your score? Or did they show the conversion chart?