PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Anderson Middle School test

Chemist
12-15-2017, 10:40 AM
Hi,
Does anybody know if the writing part is a creative essay or a response to texts, like on the state tests? If so, are the texts fiction or non-fiction?
I know my kid has less than 1% chance of getting in, but want to tell him what to expect.
Thanks!

smconde
01-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Hi--my child has just received an invitation to test for Anderson. Would appreciate any tips/info about the admissions test, especially thr writing part. Thank you very much in advance!

annew
01-04-2018, 06:21 PM
For those of you with kids who were invited to test for Anderson, could you please, please share what their state test scores were? My son had nearly all 'exceeds standards' and 4s on the state test (mid-4 for ELA and high-4 for math). But maybe that's not high enough? Any perspective? Also, I assume that since we haven't heard yet, we won't? Thank you!!

smconde
01-04-2018, 07:52 PM
You’ll very likely get an invitation. My son scored in the same same range as yours. I only know he’ll be invited because I called the school to find out. They’re running behind with sending the invites out, so you’ll probably get yours next week.

Chemist
01-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Annew,
I also think your son will get an invitation. They're testing 800 kids this year, so I assume anyone with solid 4's will be invited.

smconde
04-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Hi--my son just got accepted to Anderson. We're excited for him but also a bit nervous as it'll be a big change and no other kids from his current school are going. Hoping for some advice for rising 6th grades coming in from outside Anderson... thanks!

dbaid
09-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Can someone post on how to prep your child for Middle School Exams...My daughter is in 4th grade but we just want to get familiar with the process.

smconde
09-24-2018, 10:26 AM
The exams are proprietary and familes of test-takers sign confidentiality agreements with the school, so the actual test is secret. Having said that, accepted students are very strong in both ELA & Math.

QueensMom
09-29-2018, 03:09 PM
How does one get an invite to the school ? Does one apply somewhere ? What are the criteria for their selection ? I am considering moving soon to the west side.

smconde
09-30-2018, 06:01 AM
Last year they sent out invitations based on a rubric that included state test scores, attendance, and report card scores (4 core subjects) from 4th grade. If you list Anderson as one of your 12 slots for middle school, and you meet their initial rubric, you'll receive an invitation to take the test.

Also, Anderson is a G&T citywide school. Anybody from the 5 boroughs can apply to Anderson for middle school, so it makes no difference where you live within NYC.

D2GandT
09-30-2018, 08:03 AM
Last year they sent out invitations based on a rubric that included state test scores, attendance, and report card scores (4 core subjects) from 4th grade. If you list Anderson as one of your 12 slots for middle school, and you meet their initial rubric, you'll receive an invitation to take the test.

Also, Anderson is a G&T citywide school. Anybody from the 5 boroughs can apply to Anderson for middle school, so it makes no difference where you live within NYC.

Thanks! Any idea what’s the cutoff for the state test scores and report card grades? I’d imagine 4s in everything? Do they only test kids with high 4s in state tests?

smconde
09-30-2018, 08:08 AM
I don’t really know. My son was invited to test with a 4.26 in ELA and. 4.42 in Math. He had all 4s in his report card for the 4 core subjects, and perfect attendance & punctuality.

QueensMom
09-30-2018, 10:37 AM
What do they test more? Is it just an interview ? can you shed some light. ?
( State tests already do rigorous testing !! )

smconde
09-30-2018, 11:22 AM
It’s a proprietary test designed (I think) by Anderson’s faculty. They look at above-grade math and writing skills. No interview.

MBNar
09-30-2018, 01:21 PM
It’s a proprietary test designed (I think) by Anderson’s faculty. They look at above-grade math and writing skills. No interview.

My child tested for Anderson last year. He said the math wasn't terribly difficult, but a few of the questions tested concepts not yet introduced in the 5th grade general-ed curriculum, such as the Pythagorean theorum. I assume non-ICT kids who are accepted at Anderson for 6th grade are either coming from accelerated G&T programs, or their parents pay for private tutoring.

smconde
09-30-2018, 02:47 PM
My son found the math part of the Anderson admissions test straightforward, but he’d been doing above grade math (with RSM) for a few years by the time he took the test. He’s just started 6th grade at Anderson, and though he still finds the math easy enough, he said he wouldn’t be able to keep up based on what he learned in his regular 5th grade class. Also, I know of one child at my son’s previous (elementary) school who’s always been a straight A student, and she said that 25-30% of the math questions in the Anderson test were on topics she had never encountered before. We didn’t do private tutoring or come from a G&T program, but we did do accelerated math in a group class setting for a couple of years previous to the Anderson test (though not specifically for test prep purposes).

QueensMom
11-28-2018, 12:52 PM
My child tested for Anderson last year. He said the math wasn't terribly difficult, but a few of the questions tested concepts not yet introduced in the 5th grade general-ed curriculum, such as the Pythagorean theorum. I assume non-ICT kids who are accepted at Anderson for 6th grade are either coming from accelerated G&T programs, or their parents pay for private tutoring.

Private tutoring for middle school admissions ?

QueensMom
11-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Does attendance ( as long as it is above 90%) really play an important role in admissions? Does the ELA test include essay writing or mostly objective multiple-choice?

Kamilla
11-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Quick question - and this does not only relate to Anderson.
My daughter's school doesn't grade using 1-2-3-4, they give two digit scores, and that cannot be translated into plain 1234s. Also for behavior and overall grades they use E-G-S-N system. I do not know about any other public elementary schools that grade like that. How is it fair to all students to apply to the same schools if they use different grading system?

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 07:00 AM
Hi,
Does anybody know if the writing part is a creative essay or a response to texts, like on the state tests? If so, are the texts fiction or non-fiction?
I know my kid has less than 1% chance of getting in, but want to tell him what to expect.
Thanks!

I know this is an old message but still valid :) Anyway, the testing is generally tight-lipped so only the kids themselves ever get "to know" this as they are the only ones to get to see the test. That said, based on my feedback, it's usually a creative essay. I believe I had heard of their needing to do passage comparisons once in a while too. Other than that, wrt fiction, etc., the sky is the limit. .... and don't forget poetry!

And lastly, as AMS develops the test remember what AMS giveth AMS can taketh away. IOWs, AMS can change the test any time and any way they please, so what's happened in the past although a good indication doesn't guarantee it'll 100% be that way next time. Important is to make sure at least grade level material and fundamentals are *MASTERED* (in at least Math and ELA). But: the test goes beyond grade level.

BTW, my experience is that most kids need tons more observation, feedback and criticism in their writing. I'm not just saying this about trying for the Anderson exam, but some of the other specialized middle school exams, and in their actual day to day writing as well. Otherwise well adapted kids are very often not experienced in this aspect of things.

In fact, this weekend I did a "walk & talk" YouTube video about this very topic (same channel name as my id here). This was based on details of what the problems are, how to fix them, strategies, etc. based on actually working with kids on such passages. I think it's a topic worthy of exploration and continued attention that's doesn't seem to be be given such in the schools themselves. I keep feeling that if I could just visit some PTA meetings throughout the city and provide this as an info session to families it would be such a plus.

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 07:05 AM
How does one get an invite to the school ? Does one apply somewhere ? What are the criteria for their selection ? I am considering moving soon to the west side.

It's currently through the normal middle school selection process (so now through myschools.nyc). If Anderson is listed, you'll be included in the selection process which happens in stages. Think at least 4+ on *GRADE 4* ELA and Math test, and then everything else that will back that up (attendance, etc.). If the initial step goes through from putting it down on the app and your child gets approved, your child will be invited to take a test usually around the end of January timeframe.

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 07:09 AM
Thanks! Any idea what’s the cutoff for the state test scores and report card grades? I’d imagine 4s in everything? Do they only test kids with high 4s in state tests?

The rubric is not strictly state test based so there is no cut off for the state test being used per se as attendance, LATENESS, behavior, and various aspects from their 4th grade report card are used (not just ELA and math grades). That said, you definitely want to be at least 4's in both.

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 07:16 AM

AMS does not do an interview.

Yes, the staff is included in the test writing.

Yes, no, and maybe. LOL. I guess three things leap out here. First often what happens in the classroom and what occurs on the state test are unfortunately two different things. I wish this wasn't a truism but unfortunately it is in most situations. Booooo. Second, since they are including the 4th grade state test for entry to 6th grade then a whole year of information will be "missing." So this kinda sorta makes up for that. The third is that Anderson is normally expecting an accelerated kid past grade level in some places so this will help fill that gap too because otherwise those kids would normally not have ever had a state test on that "other material they know."

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 07:22 AM
one child at my son’s previous (elementary) school who’s always been a straight A student, and she said that 25-30% of the math questions in the Anderson test were on topics she had never encountered before.

That sounds about right. And even on topics that they have encountered they're looking for the critical thinker, the creative thinker, the out-of-the-box'er, the go getter kid, the kid who can deal with constant rigor, a kid who can think on their own, etc.

On this note please note that multiple choice is not given the problems are go for it and show your work. That can take a test where a kid could get 95+ and throw it upside down real quick.

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Private tutoring for middle school admissions ?

Yes, many are even doing it for Kindergarten now.

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 07:25 AM
Does attendance ( as long as it is above 90%) really play an important role in admissions? Does the ELA test include essay writing or mostly objective multiple-choice?

You want perfect or near perfect attendance (2 or less) and if not definitely ensure they're excused absences. That said LATENESS counts too. And this is a serious part of the assessment so yes it really counts and so that's important.

And yes, essay writing. This test traditionally discourages multiple choice, whether objective or not lol

GregsTutoringNYC
11-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Quick question - and this does not only relate to Anderson.
My daughter's school doesn't grade using 1-2-3-4, they give two digit scores, and that cannot be translated into plain 1234s. Also for behavior and overall grades they use E-G-S-N system. I do not know about any other public elementary schools that grade like that. How is it fair to all students to apply to the same schools if they use different grading system?

Two digit scores: such as 00 to 99? In any event, why can't it be translated into 1234s? Often no matter what the grading system there is conversion ranges at the least. Ditto for E-G-S-N.

QueensMom
01-06-2019, 07:20 PM
So when do Anderson Middle School Test invite go out ?

GregsTutoringNYC
01-07-2019, 04:57 AM
IIRC, they'd be just about due to go out from now through the next week. As often happens though there can be a week or so delay in things like this especially as the deadline for middle school applications was extended. Yeah, makes for a cliff-hanger lol. IIRC too the test is Jan 26 and Feb 2 (this year).

DK2019
01-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your advice on the Anderson test. We anticipate that my son will be asked to take the 6th grade entry test. Can you clarify what percentage of the math questions will be above grade level? Would you also be able to shed any light on which specific topics will be tested, is it based on the NYS Common Core standards and whether it extends to 7th grade common core standards?

Many thanks!

smconde
01-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your advice on the Anderson test. We anticipate that my son will be asked to take the 6th grade entry test. Can you clarify what percentage of the math questions will be above grade level? Would you also be able to shed any light on which specific topics will be tested, is it based on the NYS Common Core standards and whether it extends to 7th grade common core standards?

Many thanks!

According to their open house there will be math questions from 5th, 6th, and 7th grade common core standards. I don't remember if they mentioned percentages, but I imagine the bulk of them will be from 5th and 6th grades.

GregsTutoringNYC
01-14-2019, 08:31 AM
Enough are. Remember too, there is still many topics in the 6th grade curriculum that they have not done yet in many classes, as there is still "half" the school year left. For instance, average, algebra, etc. but yes it'll be some additional years topics too. It's also not just the raw subject matter but in a nutshell creative and critical thinking skills too especially involving word problems, multi-part problems, mastery of the subject, etc.

GregsTutoringNYC
01-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Hi Greg,

Additionally they are all "slippery" questions, as, well, really they can change the test on their whim. Notwithstanding that, I am not aware of any concrete specificity wrt say percentage above grade level. So my usual answer is "a bunch." Even if they have an internal number they shoot for, my approach is the same as with even the grade level questions: There is X sub-topics possible. They can't possibly ask questions on all X sub-topics and even if they could couldn't possible ask every pathological aspect of every sub-topics. Therefore what we have is a random sampling of sub-topics, both on grade level and above. Best we can do is get a feel for what some of the common ones would be and work from there.

As an example, I tutor for the SHSAT and for the Hunter test. You'd think the question distribution would be fairly similar across both these tests. Although there is some commonality they're definitely different beasts. Even across different years of those same tests this will still be true.

I guess what I'm saying is that with actual tests never provided best you can do is make educated guesses and work from there.

And yes, it would be based upon NYS Common Core, but also realize saying that is unhelpful. I say this because even though NYS has changed standards and flip flopped some things over the years, at the end of the day, most of the math needing to be known up until high school is still the same math. I know, I'm cringing writing this, but the underlying math is still there.

In this case, mastery up until at least Grade 5 is a must. I mention this as it's easy to discard Grade 5 even with top state test scores from that year but my experience working with kids is that they still need that prep too. Which coming full circle is perhaps one reason why they do the test instead of depending upon state test scores completely.

QueensMom
01-14-2019, 01:51 PM
IIRC, they'd be just about due to go out from now through the next week. As often happens though there can be a week or so delay in things like this especially as the deadline for middle school applications was extended. Yeah, makes for a cliff-hanger lol. IIRC too the test is Jan 26 and Feb 2 (this year).

Have you heard this invite has gone out ?. Does it come thru your current school ? or directly mailed ?

GregsTutoringNYC
01-14-2019, 05:52 PM
The formal answer is that that the invite will be directly emailed to the email you provided. The informal answer is that what is said is not always what is done, so my guess is that it will be directly emailed to everybody with a second copy going to guidance counselors of your current school and hopefully with no surprises or twists. I've learned to look at it with the fun that it provides.

DK2019
01-15-2019, 07:42 AM
Thank you!

DK2019
01-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Thank you! I am going through G6 and early G7 EngageNY curriculum with my son. Trying to cram as much into the next two weeks as possible. And yes, I will also cover the remaining G5 topics with him. The math is more quantifiable. The ELA and essay writing will be harder to improve in such a short time...

But your advice is invaluable. Thanks again.

GregsTutoringNYC
01-15-2019, 08:46 AM
The formal answer is that that the invite will be directly emailed to the email you provided. The informal answer is that what is said is not always what is done, so my guess is that it will be directly emailed to everybody with a second copy going to guidance counselors of your current school and hopefully with no surprises or twists. I've learned to look at it with the fun that it provides.

It's worth noting too that it's not just invites that will be emailed but all participants are supposed to receive an email response from them.

Also, as the rubric is involved, if your "back of the envelope" computations were close, it might be worth doing them on the front of an envelope lol to see if a mistake may have occurred somewhere in this process. That said, since it is involved make sure that you're not just misreading and/or misunderstanding the rubric.

GregsTutoringNYC
01-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Thank you! I am going through G6 and early G7 EngageNY curriculum with my son. Trying to cram as much into the next two weeks as possible. And yes, I will also cover the remaining G5 topics with him. The math is more quantifiable. The ELA and essay writing will be harder to improve in such a short time...

But your advice is invaluable. Thanks again.

The math appears more quantifiable, but many and most parts of both the ELA and the writing are also as quantifiable. It's easy to consider ELA as a big blob and for instance say "He's been writing since Kindergarten." and so just doing more of the same. But on the math say well there is topic this and now they're doing topic that. But it is not so. There is not only wiggle room but a pretty large area of leverage with all of three of them. Furthermore, as some writing is outright horrible, it can be argued that that is where even more effort should be focused.

zeldab1220
01-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Anderson middle school invitation letters have started to go out

QueensMom
01-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Thanks zelda. We got the invite today by email as well.

QueensMom
01-16-2019, 08:00 PM
According to their open house there will be math questions from 5th, 6th, and 7th grade common core standards. I don't remember if they mentioned percentages, but I imagine the bulk of them will be from 5th and 6th grades.

Do you remember how many math questions and how many ELA questions ?
Was ELA mostly essay, long and short writing ?

Was the two hours plenty of time or the kids pressed for time.

Thanks.

smconde
01-17-2019, 08:00 AM
The test has 2 parts, math & essay. There is no ELA component beyond the essay writing (that is, the test doesn't include either multiple choice or short writing ELA questions). I don't know how many math questions there were, but my kid used all available time (and would have been able to use more time if provided to polish his essay).

GregsTutoringNYC
01-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Note there is no multiple choice on the math. On a test of this nature roughly think about 45 minutes each session and the remaining half hour for finalizing drafts and double checking. Often you want to do 2 min, 3 min max on math problems.

I can't emphasize enough ensuring that math grade level fundamentals are mastered at a minimum, and also to not neglect the significance of an essay especially given that there is often a plethora of improvements possible.

QueensMom
01-18-2019, 05:11 PM
The test has 2 parts, math & essay. There is no ELA component beyond the essay writing (that is, the test doesn't include either multiple choice or short writing ELA questions). I don't know how many math questions there were, but my kid used all available time (and would have been able to use more time if provided to polish his essay).

Thanks smconde. Do the 2 hours apply to both parts together or are they separated one hour each ? I was wondering if my kid can spend less time on math and mpre on writing ?

smconde
01-18-2019, 05:32 PM
According to my son he was able to divide the time between math and essay any way he wanted.

GregsTutoringNYC
01-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Agreed, it's two hour altogether for both parts, and up to the student how to split and pace it out. I would suggest that they not do the writing in one swoop. Do the first go, then come back to it so they can do a "fresh" "second" read, and all while keeping track of time.