PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan-All Bilingual (Spanish/English) private school in Manhattan?

NewManhattanDad
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi,
I am likely to move to Manhattan with my wife and two kids (ages 9 and 10), who will be attending private schools (most likely). We are very early in our research, but are wondering if there are any bilingual schools. Does anyone know about any on the upper West or East sides?
Thanks.

jspencernyc5
11-13-2010, 08:51 PM
The only private bilingual programs I know of are LFNY (Lycée Français New York) and UNIS (United Nations International School). LFNY is taught primarily in French. UNIS offers mother tongue classes in French and Spanish where kids are learning as if they were in their home country (at least that's what their website says). Since your kids are 9 and 10, I would imagine they would have to meet the school's proficiency levels for the language. Friends Seminary has an exposure program for Spanish that starts in third grade but I'm guessing that's not what you want. You'll actually find more immersion options among public schools.

NewManhattanDad
11-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks a ton for your reply. I'm just starting my search, so this is helpful. My kids would be starting next fall and we're just starting to read up on options. I started reading Goldman's "Manhattan Family Guide to Private Schools" and, considering that we would want a school on the upper West or East, it looks like our (accesible) options are limited. (I see a number of elite schools that might be inaccesible for newly applying kids.) Has the recession made it easier to get into schools?

jspencernyc5
11-15-2010, 09:08 AM
It's hard to say whether the recession has made it easier to get into private schools, maybe some but the TT are TT for a reason. That said, I wouldn't get discouraged by what the book says. Granted, it is harder to enter at the grade levels your kids are at. However, there's attrition all the time so it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with the DOAs at the schools you're interested in. You just never know. Good luck! Would love to hear what ends up happening.

NewManhattanDad
11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I will keep you posted. Thanks for the encouragement.