PDA

View Full Version : All NYC MS and HS application deadlines extended until 12/14

zeldab1220
11-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Due to complaints about glitches in the online application portal DEADLINES FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL APPLICATIONS HAVE BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL DECEMBER 14.

Guessing this means that decision letters will be delayed by at least that long...

GregsTutoringNYC
11-30-2018, 06:14 AM
It doesn't have to mean that but given that for the specialized high schools' registration period they were still writing the code for that part it doesn't give one lots of -- how shall i say this gentlest -- comfort. It also makes one wonder if the deadlines are arbitrary or not. That said, I think the extra two weeks done in this manner will generally be of benefit to most.

Stuy2013
12-15-2018, 06:49 PM
It extended again. "Welcome back to John's Middle School application. You can make changes to this application until the December 18 deadline. Use the checklist below to keep track of important dates and mark your progress. Use the menu above to jump to any step."

zeldab1220
12-18-2018, 07:47 AM
Looks like the extended middle school yet again to December 21. The high school deadline still seems to be today (12/18) though.

zeldab1220
12-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Middle school extended again - this time to 1/3/19.

GregsTutoringNYC
12-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Middle school extended again - this time to 1/3/19.

Where is that extended date being broadcast?

zeldab1220
12-22-2018, 05:54 PM
Where is that extended date being broadcast?

It's in the myschools.nyc application itself. In the Dashboard, under your middle school child's name and school it says "CAN EDIT UNTIL 1/3/19."

The high school application seems locked though. Under your child's name and school it now says, "RESULTS EXPECTED IN MARCH." Then when you click on "Submitted", it says:

"Welcome back to X's High School application. Your High School application choices have been submitted and are now final. Use the checklist below to keep track of important dates and mark your progress."

Stuy2013
01-04-2019, 07:07 AM
They rolled back the deadline to 12/14 even though it was true on the web site stating " "CAN EDIT UNTIL 1/3/19." which is yesterday. Well, the class of "2019" started with a messed up G&T test scoring.

zeldab1220
02-04-2019, 02:51 AM
Looks like middle school applications have been reopened until 2/15/19.

GregsTutoringNYC
02-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Can't imagine that. Sounds like somebody is running amuck on myschools.nyc ??

NYCDTM
02-04-2019, 10:19 AM
On the DOE website:
New Schools Round: If Applicable, and Optional
Your child may also be eligible to apply to new middle schools or programs after the middle school application deadline. If so, you will be invited to apply during the New Schools Round in February.

May be this is for new middle schools/programs?

GregsTutoringNYC
02-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Oh, that's different. There is often a new schools round, when new schools and new programs might come about that were not previously available. IIRC that provides you two offers in that case that the offer was available to you. The "new round" is distinct from your previous application, at least it has is the past.

zeldab1220
02-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Someone definitely running amok because now it says "CAN EDIT UNTIL 12/14/19" which is clearly a mistake (and a year late). Yesterday it said 2/15/19, which I thought might allow parents of Anderson test takers to juggle their choices, but with this new date I'm not sure. You can go into the application and make changes though, so not sure what's going on over there.

GregsTutoringNYC
02-05-2019, 12:06 PM
The code was still being written in October when specialized HS families were entering their info, and it was devoid of feedback and sounds like it still is. It's amazing with all the resources possible before NYC they can't do this. I'm guessing the Dec 14 mention is referring to next year's submission but why they're modifying for that already makes no sense. It should be quiescent until results are in except for additional rounds and new programs. As to Anderson, that was something folks picked already so shouldn't be any variation for that at this point if I'm understanding you.

zeldab1220
02-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Agreed. Oh and for Anderson, just meant that test takers who thought they did well could potentially move Anderson up their list of preferences and test takers who thought they did poorly still have the opportunity to move another school ahead of it.

GregsTutoringNYC
02-05-2019, 01:46 PM
That would be mayhem'ish if they allowed that.

One thing I noticed is that it is often hard to assess whether the test results (really) went well or not, so it's best to strategize and hatch a plan beforehand.

Also, it wouldn't effect those who did "poorly" too much as the option they'd move ahead of it would most likely be their next choice anyway which all other things being ok they'd get either way.