PDA

View Full Version : Richmond-Presidio How many schools to apply to?

dbltrbl
11-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi parents!

Thanks for all the great posts so far on preschools. We have twins and are wondering how many preschools we should apply to so that we maximize our chances of getting in--any thoughts? Here's what we have so far and would love to hear about any other great schools we've missed (the closer to the inner richmond the better). We need one that takes students at ages 2 years 9 mos (rather than 3) by September.

The Little School (love, love, love this school!)
The Serra School
Cow Hollow School
Lone Mountain
Laurel Hill Nursery school
Presidio Preschool
Peter's Place
150 Parker School
St. Luke's

I'm considering applying to Stretch the Imagination (already toured) but haven't done so yet.
Thanks for any and all input!

sanfranciscomom
11-30-2010, 10:55 PM
I think for many families 5 schools is good to cover the bases. It just depends if you have a back-up plan if any of them don't work out. We applied to 4 since we had 1 school on our list that we knew we would be able to send our child to because admissions was based on time of application and the child being potty trained.

There are some great newer schools that have recently sprung up and it might be better shot for twins since there is not yet such a deep sibling pool so more slots! Some that come to mind are Star of the Sea and Presidio Knolls. Also, Language in Action is starting a preschool next year that might be worth putting your name on a list for.

Have you considered St. James on California or Montessori Children's House? I know the MCH cut-off is 3 but believe they take kids as they turn 3 through the fall. (i.e. if your kids have October or November birthday's, they will take them literally the day they turn 3).

And, I think Stretch is awesome. We've had great experiences there so would encourage you to apply!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

dbltrbl
12-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks--this is super helpful! I'll call MCH today as they're super close to us and we hear great things about them.

freckleface
12-01-2010, 01:49 PM
It's not so much how many applications you send in but which ones you choose to apply and really give it your all. Some of the schools you listed have very different philosophies - you've got a coop, a structured environment and others play-based. Think about the preschool philosophy, the parent community and the school director - which ones do you bond with the most and go from there. Then show the directors of those programs why you love the school and how you can contribute.

Even if you get shut out or get on wait list, be persistent. Many of these programs have summer camps, which are great ways for them to get to know your children and your family. When spots open up over the summer or whenever, you'll be at the top of the list.

oskimom
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Not to add to your already long list but here are a few more to consider:

Alta Plaza
Calvary
Chibi Chan
Ladybug
Little Gators
Pacific Primary
Russian Hill (the school is actually on Divis)
St. James