View Full Version : All NYC Go where child is accepted or go on waitlist for top choice?

01-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Decision time is still more than a month away but when the notification comes, we'll only have a week to decide. So what would you do if your child is waitlisted for the top choice but accepted in the second/third choices? Do you stay on the waitlist and give up the sure spots? Or do you just get the process over with and go where your child was accepted?

01-06-2011, 08:11 AM
What a dilemma! I think the answer really depends on how much you want the first choice and how close the second/third choices are to your first. Personally, I don't believe in THE one perfect school so am likely to go where accepted. I wouldn't have applied to a school if I didn't see dc going there. Good luck!

01-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Can we sign a contract but still go on the waitlist for our top choice? That would make things so much easier.

01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Per ISAAGNY, you cannot sign a contract with a school and stay on the waitlist for another. Once you sign a contract, you are obligated to remove yourself from all other lists. You're also on the hook for next year's tuition.

01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
If your dc doesn't get into anywhere you really want, I would touch base with the schools that WL him or her and tell them you'd accept a spot immediately. We had a friend who got WL'd everywhere because the schools assumed somebody else would take him. She went on speed dial when she found out what happened and did finally get her son into one of the TTs.

02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
If you're not sure, I'd wait until the very last second to sign the contract and hope that you clear the waitlist by then. Though if there are schools you know you will pass on, do let them know.