PDA

View Full Version : All SF How do preschool directors make their admissions decisions?

astoll75
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Preschools don't have interviews of the parents or the child. Most application forms are simply that: forms. At most, some will ask for a short description of your child. So can somebody please help me understand how preschool directors make their decision on whether to admit a candidate? Why do I feel so helpless with this process?

sanfranciscomom
01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
So much of preschool admission decisions comes down to gender, age and space available. Many schools have siblings so there are only a handful of slots open for new families and they will try to balance out the class through gender & age. Additionally, if a school made a real impact on you and you wrote a thoughtful thank you note for your tour, that certainly helps.

Some schools also try to diversify by race, socio-economics, geographic location of families and what the parents do for work (i.e. they try to have a variety of fields and talents represented in their parent community).

Unlike kindergarten, I've never heard of people leaving the city because they did not get into preschool. Everyone I know has found the best fit for them and I hope it works out for you too!