PDA

View Full Version : All SF Share feedback on the admissions screenings and playdates?

wildermama
01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Now that the admissions screenings and playdates have started, it would be great to hear feedback from other parents. How do you think the screenings and playdates are going? What types of activities has your child done at the various schools?

simonsays
01-12-2011, 12:05 PM
It's funny. Before we went through the process I would have been so curious to talk about screenings & what happened, etc. I wanted to know what my child would be doing, not to prep them, but to ease my own anxiety. Now that we are in the thick of it with our son, I honestly can say that I had nothing to worry about because the kids really do have fun.

Even if I had more details about what he did at each school, I wouldn't want to share them. Particularly because I think it is a disservice to the process. I've heard from teachers that they can tell in an instant if the child will be a good fit for the school where they are being screened - and isn't that what we all want? Some place where we will be happy because our child is thriving?

Looking forward to this process ending soon.

wildermama
01-12-2011, 10:55 PM
It's probably fair that we don't discuss the specifics but why not share general types of activities to help other parents not freak out about the process. From what I can tell, our daughter has played with blocks, drew pictures, assembled puzzles, etc. One thing you pointed out is very true - she has really enjoyed each event she's attended.

You mentioned that teachers can tell in an instant if the child will be a good fit. It would be nice to have an inkling what is it specifically that give them that insight.

julesk53
01-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm actually curious if any of you have tips on how I can help my daughter deal with separation issues. She's a bit shy with strangers and new settings so I want to make sure she's as comfortable as she can be in these events. Thank you very much.

averyn415
01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm actually curious if any of you have tips on how I can help my daughter deal with separation issues. She's a bit shy with strangers and new settings so I want to make sure she's as comfortable as she can be in these events. Thank you very much.

If I remember correctly, some of the schools let you walk around the day before the playdate so your child can get familiar with the surroundings. Even if they don't have something like that, you can drive by the school and explain to your child what's going to happen there. For the separation issue, did you consider having your husband take your daughter? One of my friends said that's what they did since kids tend not to be as clingy to their dads. Maybe worth a try.

csimmom
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
My son went to a screening for a parochial school and he told me he was asked what mommy and daddy do for a living. Without elaborating what he said, you can probably imagine my embarassment!

hrosemom
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
My son went to a screening for a parochial school and he told me he was asked what mommy and daddy do for a living. Without elaborating what he said, you can probably imagine my embarassment!

Too funny. I'm sure our kids come up with the silliest answers to some basic questions. I'm not sure if I want to know what mine said. On that note, I saw this the other day and thought I'd share it for a laugh. We can all use some during this whacky process.

http://blogs.theskinnyscoop.com/2010/10/31/embarrassing-school-artwork/

mto2boys
03-07-2011, 12:00 PM
A friend mentioned that MCDS was still doing screenings as recently as last week. Is that true? I thought everything was done by mid February.