PDA

View Full Version : All SF Latest update on the SFUSD Middle School Feeder Pattern Proposal

theschoolboards
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM
SFUSD tonight presented its latest proposal (http://www.theschoolboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&d=1296627349) on middle school feeder patterns. In the presentation, SFUSD reviewed:

Buena Vista and Horace Mann merger plan
Middle school language pathways and associated expansions
Middle School Feeder Patterns
Pros and cons for current options

Choice (status quo)
Implement feeder pattern for 2012-2013
Phase in feeder pattern (using feeder pattern as the initial tiebreaker)

Recommendation is to phase in K-8 feeder pattern
Next steps

theschoolboards
02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Thoughts from Rachel Norton (http://rachelnorton.com/2011/02/02/recap-quality-middle-schools-and-transportation-cuts/) about the latest proposal:
Staff and the board’s clear preference was for the third option, which would make feeder patterns more voluntary. There was some discussion over the proposed order of tiebreakers, since tonight’s proposal prioritized feeder patterns over younger siblings — most Board member’s disagreed and thought younger siblings should still be the top preference, followed by feeder-pattern preference, then CTIP, then attendance area.

mommyemmett
02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
It doesn't seem all too much has changed with the middle school feeder pattern other than more thought on the language pathways and the time delay. Somebody suggested in another thread before the original proposal was delayed the idea of 3 MS feeder choices for each ES rather than the current proposed 1 MS per ES. That way, parents at least feel like they have some choice in the process.

http://www.theschoolboards.com/showthread.php/142-Thoughts-on-SFUSD-s-proposed-middle-school-feeder-patterns-and-the-petitions-out-there

chellebellesf
02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Here is the middle school feeder pattern that was provided last night at the SF BOE meeting:

Aptos: Carver, Feinstein, Starr King, Ortega, Sloat
Denman: Lakeshore, Longfellow, Miraloma, Sheridan, Sunnyside
Everett: Chavez, Fairmount, Marshall, McKinley, Milk, Sanchez
Francisco: CEC, Chin, Garfield, Parker, Tenderloin, Yick Wo
Giannini: Drew, Grattan, Jefferson, Key, Stevenson, Sunset
Hoover: Monroe, Moscone, Serra, Ulloa, West Portal
ISA: Bryant, Webster
King: Hillcrest, Malcolm X, Taylor
Lick: Alvarado, Flynn, Glen Park, Harte, MEC, Muir
Marina: Lau, Montessori, Redding, Sherman, Spring Valley
Presidio: Alamo, Argonne, Clarendon, Lafayette, Parks
Roosevelt: CIS/DeAvila, Cobb, McCoppin, New Traditions, Peabody, Sutro
Vis Valley: CEC, Cleveland, El Dorado, Gaudalupe, Longfellow, Vis Valley ES

Here's the feeder patterns listed alphabetically by elementary school:
http://rpnorton.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/feeder-patterns-by-es.pdf

chellebellesf
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
As a reference, here's the original proposed middle school feeder pattern (back in August 2010):

Aptos: Feinstein, Glen Park, Lake Shore, Miraloma, Ortega, Sloat, Sunnyside
Denman: Cleveland, Longfellow, Monroe, Serra, Sheridan
Everett: Marshall, McKinley, Milk, Sanchez
Francisco: CEC, Chin, Garfield, Lau
Giannini: Carver, Key, Stevenson, Sunset, Ulloa
Hoover: Clarendon, Grattan, Malcolm X, West Portal, Jefferson
ISA: Flynn, Muir
King: Drew, Harte, Taylor
Lick: Alvarado, Bryant, Fairmount, MEC, Moscone
Mann: Buena Vista, Chavez, King, Webster
Marina: Montessori, Parker, Redding, Sherman, Spring Valley, Yick Wo
Presidio: Alamo, Argonne, Cobb, Lafayette, McCoppin, Peabody, Sutro
Roosevelt: CIS/DeAvila, New Traditions, Parks, Tenderloin
Visitacion Valley: Gaudalupe, Hillcrest, El Dorado, Vis Valley ES

lesliebythebay
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
It looks like SFUSD shuffled things around so that the feeder pattern made more sense than before: Ortega and Starr King are together with their Mandarin strand, Clarendon and Parks into Presidio with JBBP strand and New Traditions parents are probably happy they're not lumped with Parks and Tenderloin any more. I can't imagine Miraloma parents being happy going into Denman though.

SFUSD can shuffle the lineup all they want, but as long as parents don't have choice in the system, there are bound to be unhappy parents. And now, the assignment system for elementary school plays an even bigger role since it'll determine where a child goes for the next nine years.

hrosemom
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Of all the schools we toured, Miraloma was one of those special schools. Now that Miraloma is being fed into Denman instead of Aptos, one of the top middle schools, I'm not sure what to do. Am I supposed to take the leap of faith that the parent community at Miraloma can help turn Denman around? Or do I shoot for citywides and schools on the northside even though my chances aren't as good under the new system? Am I thinking way too far ahead and should just see what happens when the time comes? As if the K process wasn't stressful enough, I need to factor this new proposal into how we rank the schools.

debrasx2
02-02-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm really annoyed that this came out after I submitted our application. Guess you can be "too organized"! Not that I would necessarily change the schools on our list, I certainly would have rearranged the ranking. I can only imagine the parents on the northside grinning while those on the south and southeast grimacing. As much as SFUSD is trying to provide opportunities for the underprivileged, the one thing it's doing for sure is defining real estate values based on the best attendance area schools. In the old system, at least everybody had an equal chance of getting into the school of their choice, however small that may be.

CarolineSF
02-02-2011, 09:50 PM
With the caveat that I was an SFUSD middle school parent from 2002-2008 and it's that far behind me, here's a perspective.
My son started Aptos Middle School in 2002 when it was considered a "dirty," "dangerous" "ghetto" school. Many of the families of my son's Lakeshore classmates viewed Hoover and Giannini as the only acceptable choices in our part of town. While my son was at Aptos, I and other parents were doing outreach to convince younger families from our elementary schools that Aptos was a good option (it had some great unappreciated assets).

By the time my daughter started in Aptos 2005, Aptos pickup looked like Lakeshore pickup -- same families, same diversity -- and my daughter's one friend from Lakeshore who went to Giannini said she didn't know anybody. I think it was the 08-09 school year when Aptos' API rose above Hoover's. (Even though I don't believe that schools should be pitted against each other, I'm still going "YESSS!")

A couple of basic things to understand: When a school copes with a critical mass of high-need, at-risk students, it becomes overwhelmed and struggles. Those are the schools that are harshly condemned as "failing schools." Schools can cope effectively with a percentage of high-need, at-risk students that falls short of that critical mass.

If you picked up the entire student population of SFUSD's most challenged school and plunked it down in, say, Town School, the achievement of those kids wouldn't change -- and vice versa. It's not about "bad schools" but about the challenges or the advantages that their students bring with them.

That's why increasing Aptos' diversity helped the school become more successful (by conventional measures) with the same staff, resources etc. We've seen that happen with many SFUSD schools over the past decade.

A middle school has only three grades, so a change like that can happen really fast. A change in the incoming 6th grade makes up 1/3 of the school, and this year's entire 6th grade will have moved on in three years.

So, the middle schools you're looking at today may bear no resemblance to the middle schools they are when your kids are ready for middle school.

And by the way -- specifically for Miraloma parents -- if your school, or Lakeshore, had been told back in '02 that you were going to be a feeder school for Aptos, it would have sounded to you exactly the way Denman sounds now. And for that matter, back in '96, if we Miraloma Park residents had
been told that our neighborhood was going to feed into Miraloma Elementary, we would have had the same horrified reaction. That's the way it is with school turnarounds.

Eos de Feminis
02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
I want to offer a similar thought, from a current MS parent perspective with kids at current, and former :) no-no schools. Here is my personal, not scientifically tested, analysis of one of the effects of the proposal:

There are three paradigm shifts that I think we need to accept: One is that immersion will no longer exist in middle school: the different language programs will merge to become bi-lingual pathways. So Everett will get roughly 40 of Marshall's and 60 of Fairmount immersion students and then many of Sanchez's (40) and Cesar Chavez's (80) bi-lingual students to be combined into the dual-pathway program. And newcomers will be added as they arrive. So potentially a base of 200 kids in 6th grade Spanish dual-language program in 2012: More than at any other school in the district and the most dual-language students percentage-wise (76% of total school) in ANY middle school in the city. I'm been told that Everett is currently discussing having different level classes for the Spanish Language arts as well as Social Studies to account for different levels of achievement.

The other paradigm shift is that Everett will not be the school it is now. Currently we have about 350 kids, 55% Latino, 20+% of them African American, 75% low socio-econ. With the feeder schools it will shift, not only in make-up, but also dramatically increasing the size of the school. African-American students will drop from being over 20% now to about 10% and the numbers for socio-econ. disadvantaged will drop to 66% from 75%. The Milk, McKinley kids and those from the other schools that choose English-only will make up the non-language part, creating a 320-kid grade 6. Right now Everett has 350 kids total!! That would mean the school will be at 1000 students 3 years later!!! While currently we are challenged on electives etc. because of our small size, with that mass of students, the school will be able to offer classes equivalent to other middle schools of that size, again making it a different school. At the end of the post is a quick stats look at the 6 feeders and what Everett is now for comparison.

The third paradigm shift is that half of Everett's teaching staff will be new. 14 or our current 28 teachers are transferring at the end of this year, bringing in teachers that no only WANT to be at Everett but also have to bring HIGHER QUALIFICATIONS to teach at the school. There is a special job description for Mission Zone schools that not only asks for the basics every school requires but adds cultural competency, particular to inner-city youths and the Latino population, as a necessary quality.

The Everett of 2012 will not be the Everett it is now or has been in the past. I am personal very enthusiastic that the future is so bright, I should be wearing shades.. ;)

association disclosure: mom of Everett 6th grader Spanish Immersion and Marshall 5th grader, coming to Everett next year into the dual-language path

chellebellesf
02-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Since New Traditions is our attendance area school, I am happy with how the SFUSD reshuffled the elementary schools feeding into Presidio and Roosevelt to create two more equitable middle schools. Now there's a much better balance of up and comers, more established ones and underperformers among the two. From a selfish POV, I'm happy to know that the SFUSD listened to the issues that some NT parents raised.

daddydrama
02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Back when the original proposal came out, one of the main sources of frustration was which middle school a particular elementary school was being fed into. I had suggested then that instead of just a single feeder school per area, perhaps there could be two or even three, with either a ranked-order or random lottery system for assignment to the schools. Also, by basing the assignment on a 2 or 3 school lottery, probability should help ensure that the socioeconomic diversity and academic performance are relatively equal across these assigned schools yet still provide some sense of the neighborhood zoning that SFUSD wants to maintain.

It seems that SFUSD has tried to address some of the complaints by changing the lineup of the feeder schools. Not surprisingly, some parents are happier while others more frustrated. As long as there is only one middle school for each elementary school, there will be unhappy parents, no matter what the ultimate feeder pattern looks like. With elementary school assignment using attendance areas as a key tiebreaker, parents feel even more locked in than ever before. If your child is assigned to an underperforming elementary school that feeds into an underperforming middle school, he has little hope of switching out until high school!

The only way to make the process more equitable is to offer some choice. Also, just as the elementary school assignment system offers preference for CTIP1, the middle school assignment system should have something similar. This is what I envision would offer fairness yet preserve the virtual K-8 concept SFUSD is striving for:

1. Younger siblings
2. Test score areas
3. MS feeders (3 choices per elementary school)
4. Attendance area
5. Dense population
6. Other

On a related note, I think it's unfair to have only one school assigned to each attendance area in the elementary school assignment process. There should be a choice as well (maybe 3 schools as I'm proposing here).

mamasgomez
02-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I really don't understand why Buena Vista gets special treatment and merged with Horace Mann to create their own K-8 while Fairmount is now feed into low performing Everett. Most of us were happy with Lick before. I understand what the other poster said about Everett being a different school under the new proposal but there's just too much uncertainty for me to be excited. There's just not enough details on how the district plans on turning around these schools they're forcing us into.

shanjohn16
02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I crunched some numbers based on the 2010 API test scores to see which middle school benefitted most from the reshuffling. It looks like Roosevelt had the biggest jump while Lick had the biggest drop. Is it coincidental that Roosevelt had the biggest jump when the NT parents were among the most vocal??? At the same time, it would not be surprising to see some of the middle schools with the larger changes develop whole new personality based on their feeder schools.

The numbers next to each middle schools are 2010 API score, avg of the API scores for elementary schools feeding into that MS and then net change from the previous proposal.

- Giannini (874, avg 862, 0): Drew (710), Grattan (873), Jefferson (893), Key (882), Stevenson (923), Sunset (890)

- Presidio (871, avg 872, +10): Alamo (923), Argonne (888), Clarendon (944), Lafayette (891), Parks (713)

- Roosevelt (864, avg 827, +73): CIS/DeAvila, Cobb (718), McCoppin (841), New Traditions (802), Peabody (886), Sutro (886)

- Aptos (832, avg 796, -26): Carver (701), Feinstein (861), Ortega (811), Starr King (724), Sloat (882)

- Hoover (820, avg 815, -68): Monroe (808), Moscone (843), Serra (704), Ulloa (914), West Portal (904)

- Marina (805, avg 854, -13): Lau (835), Montessori, Redding (794), Sherman (941), Spring Valley (846)

- Denman (723, avg 814, +52): Lakeshore (804), Longfellow (808), Miraloma (865), Sheridan (825), Sunnyside (768)

- Lick (729, avg 714, -71): Alvarado (836), Flynn (706), Glen Park (764), Harte (627), MEC, Muir (635)

- Vis Valley (690, avg 730, -25): CEC (564), Cleveland (664), El Dorado (715), Gaudalupe (804), Longfellow (808), Vis Valley ES (826)

- King (712, avg 776, +45): Hillcrest (674), Malcolm X (800), Taylor (855)

- Francisco (707, avg 801, +17): CEC (564), Chin (901), Garfield (835), Parker (859), Tenderloin (748), Yick Wo (897)

- ISA (622, avg 699, +28): Bryant (696), Webster (702)

- Everett (607, avg 753, -14): Chavez (685), Fairmount (765), Marshall (758), McKinley (822), Milk (810), Sanchez (677)

RDmom
02-04-2011, 06:09 PM
I crunched some numbers based on the 2010 API test scores to see which middle school benefitted most from the reshuffling. It looks like Roosevelt had the biggest jump while Lick had the biggest drop. Is it coincidental that Roosevelt had the biggest jump when the NT parents were among the most vocal???"

I think that NT parents being one of the most vocal may have contributed to the change but you need to take into account that both Sutro and McCoppin are Cantonese Biliteracy schools. Having these schools feed into Roosevelt along with CIS/Devila creates a Cantonese language pathway. Peabody already uses Roosevelt's auditorium as well.

The prior feeder pattern between Presidio and Roosevelt was unbalanced with regards to test scores. Now it seems for more fair. Also remember that Roosevelt's A.P.I is only 7 points below Presidio for 2010.

shanjohn16
02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
The prior feeder pattern between Presidio and Roosevelt was unbalanced with regards to test scores. Now it seems for more fair. Also remember that Roosevelt's A.P.I is only 7 points below Presidio for 2010.

I totally agree the changes have made Presidio and Roosevelt more equitable. The reason I raised the point about New Traditions being vocal is meant more as a positive. I thought they did a great job banding together and presented their issues about the disparity in performance and diversity between the two schools. Consequently, their voices were heard and changes made.

debrasx2
02-06-2011, 03:09 PM
- Giannini (874, avg 862, 0)
- Presidio (871, avg 872, +10)
- Roosevelt (864, avg 827, +73)
- Aptos (832, avg 796, -26)
- Hoover (820, avg 815, -68)
- Marina (805, avg 854, -13)
- Denman (723, avg 814, +52)
- Lick (729, avg 714, -71)
- Vis Valley (690, avg 730, -25)
- King (712, avg 776, +45)
- Francisco (707, avg 801, +17)
- ISA (622, avg 699, +28)
- Everett (607, avg 753, -14)

Wow, wow, wow - if you look at the map of the city, there's a very clear divide along Market/Portola. Schools that are northwest of the divide have API scores 800 or above while those southwest of the divide are at least 70 points below 800 (and as low as 193 points below)! The exceptions are Francisco and Aptos. But even Francisco, with the new proposed feeder patterns, will have an API of over 800 if you take the average of its feeder schools.

I understand SFUSD is really trying to foster diversity in the schools by putting CTIP1 as a higher priority tiebreaker but the middle school feeder pattern proposal seems to be doing the opposite.

anamart24
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM
A bunch of us parents in Potrero Hill have been working so hard to improve Daniel Webster and getting a Spanish immersion program in place to get more interest. We're starting to see the fruits of our labor without much assistance from the district. As much improvement as we have seen (and will see even more as the scores from the SI kids get included), I know that there are parents considering leaving the school and the city all together for the burbs. Feeding DW into ISA will only accelerate that exodus and ruin what we've worked so hard to accomplish for our neighborhood.

lesliebythebay
02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
As I read comments from everywhere, I'm wondering whether SFUSD is messing with something that was working really well already. Didn't they say that many (maybe most?) families get their first choice of middle schools in the old system? If that's the case, why implement the feeder patterns that lock a student into a path from K-8? The idea of attendance area school makes sense more for elementary schools where the children are small, but for middle schools many can take public transportation.

ellenf75
02-09-2011, 08:49 PM
We're not even in a public yet as we're applying this year. Regardless, I can understand why some parents are unhappy with the feeder system. But if you look at the flip side, one of the benefits of a feeder pattern is knowing exactly which middle school your children will be going. Knowing that, wouldn't you be that much more committed to improving that middle school and making it the best experience for your children?

theschoolboards
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
This from BeyondChron (http://www.beyondchron.org/articles/School_Beat_The_Road_to_Middle_School_8890.html) by Lisa Schiff:
Middle schools have come front and center in the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD). Over the last several months proposed feeder patterns from elementary schools to middle schools have been dissected and debated in the community, among administrators at school site and district levels, and among Board of Education (BOE) commissioners.

The variety of issues involved in this task overlay and complicate the achievement of an overarching goal – how to make student assignment at this level both equitable and clear in a City that is increasingly bifurcated in terms of access to and control of resources. That challenge is made all the more difficult by a host of hard realities, including but certainly not limited to the fact that:

• Not all schools in the district offer the same breadth and quality of opportunities in core academics and extra-curricular options;

• Not all communities are equally poised to fill in gaps for their schools, from fundraising to volunteering;

• Not all students can get to any given middle school in the City, which is significant, given that there are far fewer middle schools then elementary schools and school transportation will be reduced in the future.

These issues will not be solved by a new assignment system, but it could be argued that our current choice-based assignment system unintentionally exacerbated and masked them. Assignment is only one piece of this whole puzzle, and though it is one that we as families spend so much time on at key points in our children’s education, it’s important to remember that how kids end up at a school is just one of the issues we need to concern ourselves with.

What happens at all of our schools, no matter where they are and which students are there, has got to be just as much a priority for all of us. Redesigning the assignment system is our starting point right now, but if we are attentive, we can use this process to highlight the many aspects of all of our middle schools that need to be addressed.

read more>> (http://www.beyondchron.org/articles/School_Beat_The_Road_to_Middle_School_8890.html)

mommyemmett
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Does anybody know what's going to happen to the electives or extracurricular activites that differentiate some of these schools once the feeder plan proposal is in place? How about the GATE/Honors programs - will there be separate ones for gen ed vs. language pathway or will they combine them somehow?

Harburn
02-10-2011, 10:26 PM
http://sfusd.ggnet.net/cms-assets/documents/15049-837393.mapofk8feederpatterns.pdf

This proposal is DOA. There is no chance it will be implemented. The Board will go back to choice for middle school. Forced assignment will not work. Public will fight back. The press and politicians will have a field day. The courts will not approve it.

To move from choice to forced assignment is not realistic. The map of the forced assignment is ridiculous. Individuals no longer have the option to choose the school closest to them. In some cases, parents will have to travel 10 miles in mid-day traffic to pick their child. The proposal is laughable.

chellebellesf
02-11-2011, 09:05 AM
This proposal is DOA. There is no chance it will be implemented. The Board will go back to choice for middle school. Forced assignment will not work. Public will fight back. The press and politicians will have a field day. The courts will not approve it.

To move from choice to forced assignment is not realistic. The map of the forced assignment is ridiculous. Individuals no longer have the option to choose the school closest to them. In some cases, parents will have to travel 10 miles in mid-day traffic to pick their child. The proposal is laughable.
Why do you think the proposal is DOA? It doesn't sound like the BOE is considering scrapping the feeder pattern policy in their latest meeting. While there are opponents, there are also supporters. I've heard complaints but have not seen the public fight back or the press having a field day. Is that how parents at your school feel? I'm just curious how you arrived at your opinion.

fancywu9
02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
I agree with the other mom who made this point on PPS-SF. When we picked an elementary school, we weren't thinking about middle schools at all. Now with this feeder pattern proposal, SFUSD is essentially locking us in. If they want to implement this, they should at least wait until the new K-5 student assignment system students flow into middle school. At least their parents have an idea what they are signing up for. It would also give SFUSD more time to make sure the programs offered at the various middle schools are adequately comparable.

shanjohn16
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
From PPS-SF:

Quality Middle Schools