PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Which admission process do you prefer - Hunter's or private schools?

senraba3
02-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Which do you prefer - the relatively straightforward process at Hunter or the current private school process? Interested to hear what others think.

jwolfmama
02-04-2011, 08:40 AM
In some way, I like how clear cut the Hunter process is (even though mine didn't qualify): meet a minimum cutoff and then a limited number of candidates pass through for further evaluation. On the other hand, I like that test scores is just one of the factors considered for private school admission. Can we combine the two somehow?

mannshann76
02-07-2011, 07:02 AM
The process at Hunter process is much smoother. Having the test scores filter the applicant pool objectively then allows the staff to evaluate the remaining pool much more closely.

villagegirl8
02-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Personally, I'm not a big proponent of testing kids so young. So many factors affect the score besides their intelligence at this stage. We go along with it coz it's the name of the game here. If the cutoff is lowered so a somewhat larger pool gets through, then I might feel better about it.

bizzybee
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
The one thing I like about Hunter is that it is very clear about the number of spots available. If the privates can at least share that piece of information, it would at least help set appropriate expectations among those of us applying.