PDA

View Full Version : All NYC Seminars to help guide parents through gifted school options in NYC

theschoolboards
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
This from NY Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/gifted-education-in-new-york/seminars-to-help-guide-parents-through-gifted-school-options-nyc?CID=examiner_alerts_article) by Alina Adams:
P.A.L. (Parents of Accelerated Learners) is kicking off its workshop series on February 15, 2011 at the Downtown Community Center (120 Warren Street, between Greenwich and West). For more info and tickets, click here (http://palworkshops.eventbrite.com/).

Founder Angelique LeDoux gave the NY Gifted Education Examiner some background on how her organization came about, and what it has to offer parents of gifted children in NYC:

When my daughter was two, I was watching a news show about a child who was reading at 2 years of age. I called the psychologist who was interviewed on the show and asked how rare it really was, as my daughter was doing it too. She left me with a question to ponder, "So if your kid is advanced or "gifted," what would you do with that information?"

When you don't have a point of comparison, despite having an enormous family with 17 nieces and nephews, you may realize your kid is seemingly above level for her age, but there is no "What to Expect, the Toddler Years," on Cognitive Advanced Development. The books most new parents are reading are focused on making the developmental milestone, not leaping over them.

So as the next 2 years unfolded, I found myself feeding my daughter's interest in reading, language, performance, and music.

I chose a Reggio influenced pre-school that proved to be a great fit for her temperament and learning style. I read articles and books, like NurtureShock which really got me thinking....and anything I could find about supporting a young accelerated learner. But I wanted to talk to other parents with similar experiences - I wanted parent workshops. What I found was basic information about elementary school admissions and plenty of testing-related workshops, but aside from an annual AGATE conference and some great online resources, there was not much in NYC on "gifted ed" - specific to the NYC experience- and what that means in more than cognitive terms for our children.

So I reached out to local universities, Hunter & Columbia, though I had no intention initially of embarking on yet another career. And I found a new program at Rutgers, led by Joyce Van Tassel Baska, that was a year long program covering social and emotional, as well as cognitive development for gifted learners. I'm one of the only parents in the program - everyone else is a gifted ed teacher or admin, but our unique group has really considered the roles of teachers and parents as partners in educating our children, and I've found a new respect for the job our great teachers do, and are expected to do in the face of so many obstacles.

I guess my take away is this:

read more>> (http://www.examiner.com/gifted-education-in-new-york/seminars-to-help-guide-parents-through-gifted-school-options-nyc?CID=examiner_alerts_article)

BrightKidsNYC
03-20-2011, 10:24 AM
On April 14, Bright Kids NYC will be hosting a workshop for parents: Admissions Tests Demystified: Everything Parents should know about the ERB, OLSAT, & Stanford-Binet.

This workshop will cover in detail the tests required for Kindergarten through 4th grade entry into NYC's public and independent schools: The ERB, the OLSAT, and the Stanford-Binet. Parents will have all of their questions answered about testing timelines, administration, scoring, preparation and more! In addition, we will be discussing some of the best strategies to positively influence your child's testing performance and overall school readiness.

Bright Kids workshops are capped at 20 participants in order to make sure that everyone's questions are answered. So, if you are interested sign up here (http://www.brightkidsnyc.com/view-whatsnew.asp?id=6) as soon as poosible!